Help: Why must server transcode when playing HEVC/H.265?

fanfan.li

And what did it say?

It said:

Playing file H.264

Original file H.265

But i shall check it again tonight, just to be sure. And I shall post the results in a picture.

I shall also check if i can find something on the Emby server why it is transcoding.

It said:

Playing file H.264

Original file H.265

But i shall check it again tonight, just to be sure. And I shall post the results in a picture.

I shall also check if i can find something on the Emby server why it is transcoding.

But it will also tell you why it is transcoding, and I can pretty much promise you there is another reason. The app already direct plays h265 whenever possible.

But it will also tell you why it is transcoding, and I can pretty much promise you there is another reason. The app already direct plays h265 whenever possible.

I did not test it yet but I think i might know why it is transcoding.

I have turned on the subtitles. Can that be the reason?

I did not test it yet but I think i might know why it is transcoding.

I have turned on the subtitles. Can that be the reason?

Yes, it certainly could, depending on the subtitle format.

Michael151260

I had the same issue my solution was to download the subtitle from emby .srt format and not play the default embedded subtitle you get that choice before you play the movie

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I think I have king of the same issue.

First of all, here is my setup :

Emby server 4.3.1.0 installed on a Synology DS1819+ NAS.

Why I play some of my H265 movies, it is transcoding (I tried on the LG TV with the latest version of Emby and on the computer using the web browser).

The Emby Dashboard tells me its trancoding from HEVC to H.264 (AVC). I feel like it does not like the 6 ch DTS audio and transcodes it to MP3.

I attached the log fils in the post.

logs.zip

Edited by Niklos

Hi everyone,

I think I have king of the same issue.

First of all, here is my setup :

Emby server 4.3.1.0 installed on a Synology DS1819+ NAS.

Why I play some of my H265 movies, it is transcoding (I tried on the LG TV with the latest version of Emby and on the computer using the web browser).

The Emby Dashboard tells me its trancoding from HEVC to H.264 (AVC). I feel like it does not like the 6 ch DTS audio and transcodes it to MP3.

I attached the log fils in the post.

Hi there, did you explore the stats feature in the video player to learn why it was transcoding?

Yep, here is what it tells me :

It tells me :

Video codec not supported

Audio codec not supported

(it is transcoding to H264 and MP3.)

But, well... It is playing some 4k H.265 movies without any problem... But not that one for some reason.

Edited by Niklos

I feel like it does not like the 6 ch DTS audio and transcodes it to MP3.

Correct.  I don't think there are any browsers that support DTS.  So, once that conversion needs to happen, we also need to convert the video because the delivery method required in order to convert the audio cannot reliably transport HEVC.

Thanks. I have the same issue on the TV (LG OS, last version of the Emby app), not only on the browser. Is it "normal" ?

Most TVs also don't support DTS.

All right, that makes sense.

Is there easy anyway to transcode the movie before playing it ?

Like, can emby give me the command line it is using to transcode the movies on the fly ?

All right, that makes sense.

Is there easy anyway to transcode the movie before playing it ?

Like, can emby give me the command line it is using to transcode the movies on the fly ?

Hi.  You can use our Convert feature for that.  And, going forward, if these are your primary platforms, I would rip content with Dolby or AAC tracks for better compatibility.