Playback failure on linux clients.

RazeLighter777
Go to solution Solved by RazeLighter777,

RazeLighter777

I am having an issue with playing videos on a linux web client. The web client works properly unless asked to play back a video, in which case it will buffer (the wheel will spin) forever, and the video will not play.  

I tested both Firefox and Chromium to the same results. Mobile, Roku, and Windows clients are working properly. After googling and looking through the logs, I saw a common issue with ffmpeg permissions. However, I see no errors at all after inspecting the logs. Attached are the logs for Firefox, as I'm not sure if you guys support chromium anyway. 

The server is your official docker container running on CentOS 7. 

Thank you for your time.

Log

Edited by RazeLighter777

RazeLighter777

I am figuring this is a client side error, and may have to do with a missing codec after using the developer console I found:

HLS Error: Type: mediaError Details: bufferAddCodecError Fatal: false

In both Firefox and Chromium. The same error occured on Firefox and Chromium on Centos 7 and Fedora 29 clients. Attached is the console log.

FirefoxConsole.txt

Edited by RazeLighter777

• Solution
RazeLighter777

Ok. But I solved it myself. Basically, I was missing the H264 codec / MP4 container support. On some versions of Fedora and CentOS, (And probably other Linux) this is not installed due to patent restrictions. However, adding the codec manually on the client will fix it.

I'm sorry, I didn't save my chromium log, but the Firefox one is above. It was the exact same error in both browsers.

Basically install ffmpeg on your client and restart your browser. You can do this by following these instructions:

https://tecadmin.net/install-ffmpeg-on-fedora/

Just restart your browser, playback will resume properly. Do you want me to provide any info to help out others who might have the same problem?

Why didn't it default to WEBM or something? Is this a bug that needs to be addressed?

Edited by RazeLighter777

It does default to webm, but what's probably happening is the browser is reporting it as supported even though it's not. I'm pretty sure I remember reading in firefox developer docs that it does that. Thanks for the feedback.