Play back of 4k 60fps HDR Sample content on Sharp Roku TV

russman547

russman547

I am Trying to play a 4k HDR sample at 60fps. emby keeps trying to transcode and it either fails to play or plays but not in HDR . when I look at the transcode log it shows reason for transcode is framerate?  but it also shows max frame rate is 61 so I don't know why its transcoding.  I have tried this with other resolutions in HDR at 60fps with the same result. what is causing this. doesn't matter if its emby or blue neon app with force direct play same result

Russman

log attached

TV model:  LC-65Q7370U

Log.txt

By any chance is this a RokuTV? What model name and model number is the Roku device?

Edit: Nevermind, I see in the title of the thread it is. I blame the Christmas hangover.. lol

Anyways.. Please use the Settings of the app. Find the "Allow HEVC at 60fps" option and enable it. This should remedy your problem. Some RokuTV cannot process HEVC at 60fps and we do not know which models can or cannot. To keep complaints about media that cannot play we must error on the side of transcoding when we should not. Once you change this option your issue should be resolved. Thanks for reporting. Happy Holidays. :)

Edited by speechles

russman547

Ok So checking the box for HEVC at 60fps worked like a charm for my issue with HEVC.  now I have downloaded a few HDR @60fps in VP9 samples and I have the same issue no direct play(transcoding), is there an option for this also?  Roku specs says it can play VP9  it does not specify frame though...   EMBY is awesome i have tried many other server/client platforms EMBY is the best for me.

Sincerely,

Russman

Ok So checking the box for HEVC at 60fps worked like a charm for my issue with HEVC.  now I have downloaded a few HDR @60fps in VP9 samples and I have the same issue no direct play(transcoding), is there an option for this also?  Roku specs says it can play VP9  it does not specify frame though...   EMBY is awesome i have tried many other server/client platforms EMBY is the best for me.

Sincerely,

Russman

VP9 is limited to 30fps as per Roku documentation. It appears this has changed and any Roku capable of HDR10 can decode VP9 at 60fps. I can get this added to the code and submit a fix for this. It will still need to be reviewed by the team before it is in production and live. Also it is the holiday schedule and this update may not occur until sometime after January 2nd, 2019. I will work on getting this into the next update. Thanks for the report. :)

Edit: For reference ( Fix #161: Detect HDR10 to support VP9 at 60fps )

Edited by speechles