"Reminder" option for live tv

BillOatman
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

BillOatman

As much as Emby's UI kicks my cable boxes ass, it does have one useful feature that Emby does not. They call it "Reminder".  

When you click on a future program in the grid guide, now in Emby you get the option to record.  The cable box has a additional "Set Reminder" in that context menu (a "Remove Reminder" option appears if a reminder is set for the selected show). When a reminder is set for a show and the time is 1 minute before the show starts, a dialog overlay appears at the bottom of the screen offering the options to either stay on the same channel, or switch to the channel that has the show with the reminder set.  If nothing is selected in 45 seconds, the channel is changed automatically to the channel that has the show with the reminder set.

With the reminder set, it is much harder to miss the beginning of a show or sporting event that you want to see :)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

BillOatman

Thinking about this some more, Emby has more to consider than the cable box.

1) Does the reminder get attached to the client device or the user?  I'd say the user.  The use case being I look at the guide on my phone and set a reminder.  When it's time for the show, I'm watching TV on my shield.  That's where the reminder should be displayed.

2) In the scenario above, what happens if I am watching a recording and not live tv.  Ideally the reminder would still pop up.  But that might be above and beyond the call of duty for Emby :)

Edited by BillOatman

• 2 years later...
gillmacca01

Was gonna put a feature request in for this, but found this post.

As a couple of additions to what the OP has posted, if possible, I would like to see these:

1.....The reminder to appear, regardless of what you are watching/listening to in Emby. i.e. watching something from my library and a reminder that a programme is starting in live TV, and being able to launch live tv from where you currently are in Emby

2.....series link for reminder