Remote user cannot see content

Snakebait

Snakebait

Hi Emby, I have installed the latest version of Emby (3.5.3.0) on my Synology DS415+. Everything works fine in home but when I invite a friend they show up on the users page but they cannot see anything. We are both signed into connect. Please advise. Thanks Tom

Snakebait

Hi, I did not check Library Access enable access to all library's. I did check the individual library's I wanted them to have access to. I presume I have to allow access to all library's  than check or uncheck the ones below to allow access? Tom

Snakebait

Hi, I tried checking Library Access and its not what I want but I did select folders in Library. They still cant see the media. Tom

Ok that's different, that means they cannot even connect at all. Have you personally tested remote access to your emby server, for instance from a smart phone?

Snakebait

Hi, I tried to connect and received a msg "login failure invalid username or password. Please try again". I know my password is correct because after receiving the msg I logged out and in on my server to check.  I tried using Emby connect and received a msg "Connection Failure We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again" . I am using an LG S4 active. Tom

Snakebait

Hi, I have started going down the list you gave me from "https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Connectivity" trouble shooting my connectivity and could not complete “open TCP Port on your servers firewall". The instructions were for windows and I have a Synology server DS415+. Do you have a link to instructions how to check the firewall. I went to control panel/security/firewall and did not see any options to configure a port. I also went to control panel/application portal and Emby was not listed. I hope this helps you narrowing it down. I am also running Emby on the server and not in Docker or a container. I was told it did not make a difference but thought I would mention it. Tom

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Luke, I have been reading many articles online and nothing worked as I am unable to connect to my server through an external internet. I have a Synology 718+ nas and it seem like every thing I do does not help. I am currently a new lifetime membership owner and I just want to get this resolved so I can actually enjoy the product. I have been using plex for a while now and decided to try Emby. I hope you can help me.

•  

• 2 weeks later...
Snakebait

Hi, I was able to start Emby from outside by home network. I first tried Synology's EZ-Internet without success. I solved the issue porting the router forward. I used the home IP address and the same port number for internal and external port number.

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@RanF

The majority of what you need to do isn't specific to Emby Server, and there will be environment specific factors/variations.

However, as a general guide, you will need to :-

1) Configure / disable any ISP imposed restrictions on inbound connectivity over your Internet service.

2) Configure your router/firewall to allow inbound traffic for the protocols/ports required.

3) Configure your router/firewall to forward the traffic defined in (2) to your Synology/XPEnology system.

4) If you have the firewall enabled on your Synology/XPEnology system, make sure you've allowed Emby Server traffic.

5) Configure Emby Server to support SSL connections for remote access.

Typically, for Emby Server, by default we are talking about configuring SSL access over TCP on port 8920.

What steps have you completed and validated so far?

Best

- James

For reference, here's the firewall screen within DSM, showing the pre-loaded entries:-

5c52f39daad6f_syno_firewall_builtin.jpg

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

Hello Solabc16, 

This was actually very helpful as it got it to work. My main problem was because I was putting in my "In-Home (Lan) Access" IP # and the port # on the router. I figured since the "In-Home (Lan) Access" IP # is the IP # being forwarded it should be the IP # used on an external connection. I was so wrong. I then tried the "Remote (Wan) Access" it worked. Thank you for your help

• Like 1

Snakebait

Hi RanF, I just checked and my router required the in home IP address to work. I guess it all depends on the router. S