API Projects and Ideas

rene.teniere

rene.teniere

I finally heard back from Bara Kenerson at Commonsense Media:

Hi Rene,

Thanks so much for your interest in Common Sense Media. It is great to hear that you are inspired by our content capabilities!

Unfortunately, our API is made available to Common Sense partners under a paid licensing fee and we are unable to grant access outside of that scope. We will let you know if anything changes.

Best,
Bara
  • Like 1

rene.teniere

Good question. It would be basically re-creating commonsense media... Unfortunately we have to work our day jobs  :lol: .

BTW, I sent her an email earlier today. She probably deleted all her unread emails from when she was away on Christmas vacation!

jachin99

I guess that explained why they didn't return my email too.

I did contact an API company recently that serves out info on bad weather alerts for Geo locations.

I thought that would be a cool model popup plugin.

Hazardous weather alerts are useful, and probably the only thing I would want interrupting my viewing experience.

I also thought about yellow alerts etc. But haven't located an API.

Anyway, the initial weather API company did respond, but wanted money for their API keys, so I backed off a bit.

I'm still looking for something that might be useful for tornado warning, bad snow etc.

A scraper?

rene.teniere

The most frustrating thing is trying to get permission to use any API! At work I made my own and it took way less time than it does to have someone contact you...

• Like 1

rene.teniere

Thats why its nice to know how to write your own plugins!! Maybe someday I'll figure that trick out also.

Hey jachin you know I couldn't write one bit of code a couple years ago. Back when emby was mediabrowser. Now I understand the fundamentals of code design fairly well. I am able to follow most object oriented code.

If I can do, you can too.

I started the same way years ago in school and there were no jobs for GIS technicians but some for GIS programmers. I had enough of the basics to get going and that lead me down the programming stream in my industry. 15 years later and I am developing some pretty cool stuff thanks to time, patience, the willingness to learn, and having a really great mentor who taught me proper habits and programming fundamentals!

I suggest trying Python at first. There are great tutorials out there and it is an easier intro into OOP (object oriented programming) than jumping into C# or even JavaScript. Once you are comfortable with that, get to know some JavaScript and JSON (JavaScript Object Notation). It is the fundamentals of the web, especially web APIs.

Side note... It is great to see so many games and toys built for kids to learn basic programming. They are also starting to teach the basics in elementary schools. In the future it will become everyday knowledge and less of a specialty, kind of like algebra? Do people still remember their algebra? Maybe like long division... Wait a minute?

Edited by rene.teniere

jachin99

I'll hop on board sooner or later.  I have already played around some with python, and almost everything I use for media consumption is either python or c# so those were the directions I was going to pursue starting with python.  Back on topic, because Emby requires an API, and your looking for projects here, what about something similar to the internet archive games launcher for kodi.  Its legal, it provides a huge volume of content, and there are at least a few forum members who have shown some frustration with gamebrowser.  I know Luke has brought up a developer taking on a games plugin.  Its just another idea if your still searching. 

• 4 weeks later...
BillOatman

The only thing so far I have done with the API is to create a program to have Emby do a live TV refresh.  I use the program xteve to create m3u and xmltv files for Emby to consume.  So a few times a day I:

1) Have a program I wrote parse my providers m3u and xmltv files to make a useful m3u/xmltv pair for sports programs  (because basically the data is all there, but the format of it sucks ... badly ... for things like Emby).

2) Have xteve (by means of its API) get the latest data from my provider, as well as consume my sports programming m3u and xmltv files and create the m3u/xmltv files for Emby.

3) Then, finally, my app uses the Emby API to kick off the "Refresh Guide" task.

I have it scheduled to run a couple times a day.  Sports programming from my provider is "day of" only, and what time the data gets populated can vary a bit.

Edited by BillOatman
  • Like 1