API Projects and Ideas

rene.teniere

rene.teniere

Hi all,

I am a developer and would like to start using the API. I was wondering what other people are doing with it, ideas they have, and generally, how they incorporate it into their workflows?

Thanks,

René

rene.teniere

Can you give me some examples? I really am only used to using Emby for delivering media, and I am not creative until I get an idea ;)

rene.teniere

That’s good. Tired of the same old development for work. Would like to expand to something other than GIS.

I have written a few plugins. One is in the catalog. The Vera plugin.

I have been contemplating a new plugin idea. A really easy one.

I thought about using the message endpoints (which is a Google material style modal popup) to show specific media ratings information in emby clients.

Reasons why a movie is rated R/PG etc.

Netflix does this and I thought it was kinda neat, and helped me better understand what made a movie my kids are watching a PG movie.

For instance, in Canada, Mission Impossible is rated G. Yikes, my seven year old probably can't handle that movie.

Anyway, I have some empty emby plugin projects pieced together if that helps?

rene.teniere

Sure. Getting ready to install the API. Hopefully I will have time to work on things. Difficult with young kids, but looking forward to a new challenge. I just have to explore the API docs and see what looks good. Contact me any time with ideas and whatever... we can PM as well if you like

rene.teniere

Is the project you are thinking of whereby it describes what makes it PG, I.e. scenes of violence, language, adult themes, etc? https://www.commonsensemedia.org Has great info that would be awesome to integrate. I have lots of questions about how things integrate into Emby, I.e. you install a plugin into server. How does that info get to the client? I have worked extensively with various ArcGIS APIs for both JavaScript and dot Net clients (GIS software and web applications). Any document links besides the wiki?

rene.teniere

I have dug up a lot of good info on this topic. Sounds like a really great idea since I have kids and all. Here is a great resource: https://www.commonsensemedia.org/developers It is something that we are always looking for but can never remember the website name. Having this integrated into Emby would be great. I also dug around and found the getting started wiki for Emby Server. Sounds like a great place to start. Now all I need is time  ;) Similar to my projects at work. I could call it research and education. Yeah, that's it...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late back to this party. I will post boiler code here a moment.

Sorry about that.

I contacted commonsense at Christmas time but have not heard back from them.

I'll try contacting them again for an API key.

Edited by chef

chacawaca

I have a lot of idea, just not skill to do it.

- Music only tiny client ( like plexamp for plex)

- Iheartradio plugin

- Apple music plugin, that show you album/song you dont have when you browse a group

rene.teniere

I also tried contacting commonsense media for info before Christmas and have yet to hear back as well. Let me know if you find out anything...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like maybe it was okay but CommonSense has changed something:

its backend APIs have been taken offline

I guess that explained why they didn't return my email too.

I did contact an API company recently that serves out info on bad weather alerts for Geo locations.

I thought that would be a cool model popup plugin.

Hazardous weather alerts are useful, and probably the only thing I would want interrupting my viewing experience.

I also thought about yellow alerts etc. But haven't located an API.

Anyway, the initial weather API company did respond, but wanted money for their API keys, so I backed off a bit.

I'm still looking for something that might be useful for tornado warning, bad snow etc.

Edited by chef

rene.teniere

So the CSM API is still up? I would be looking to connect directly to the CSM API.

rene.teniere

Ok. So you need to enter into a partnership with CSM to receive an API key then pass that token with every request. It is personally identifiable, which is why the plugin went through his server to make the requests. Won’t debate whether that violates the EULA or not, but since no one has been contacted by CSM in this regard, don’t know if it is worth going down this road. Could we make a ‘private’ plugin whereby in the settings you would put your personal API key for requests?

Ok. So you need to enter into a partnership with CSM to receive an API key then pass that token with every request. It is personally identifiable, which is why the plugin went through his server to make the requests. Won’t debate whether that violates the EULA or not, but since no one has been contacted by CSM in this regard, don’t know if it is worth going down this road. Could we make a ‘private’ plugin whereby in the settings you would put your personal API key for requests?

Sure we could, the only thing is testing the plugin. It's to bad common sense wouldnt get back to anyone. It would be nice to test the JSON returning from their api to get a proper class structure for the plugin.

rene.teniere

Agreed. I suppose their API docs wouldnt give any idea of the structure? I want to try and contact them again. You going to try again as well?