NEW SERVER BUILD - GPU Transcoding

pir8radio

pir8radio

Looking at the latest test, was there a reason you dropped the quality settings so drastically from one to the other?  If it's the same source material, I would assume you would want to keep things as uniform as possible?  Or is that just your standard settings?

Also, are you utilizing 20% of your CPU for 1 file transcoding?  I'm assuming this is CLI run and not through Emby just to do some testing?  How long did the whole file take?

Looks lovely though.  I feel sheepish with my 2400g sitting next to me, but oddly, it does the trick.

Relate/Unrelated, I assume your "Media" stats in your signature haven't been updated in a while.  How much data are you running now?  I don't have nearly as much data as you and I am running close to 16TB (predominantly movies, and mostly 1080p.  Just starting to get into 4k video.  Multiple versions of each file to reduce transcode requirements (typically 3 - 1 raw uncompressed, 1 mp4 compressed file at q:21 through handbrake, and 1 small file with 1 audio track for downloading onto mobile devices).

I ran through emby...   That is the settings emby uses.   I think the quality was increased for the nvidia test right? (lower number is better quality?)  anyway that was emby's default settings. 

Yes 19.x% was just for one ffmpeg instance transcoding this single file. 

My media info has only changed a bit...  added some movies as they come out, but nothing crazy..  

pir8radio

Well I didn't get to go to the data center today...   Looks like i have to wait until the 26th.  I ran into some hardware issues.... rather operator error....    UEFI raid/ssd issues.. lol    but I'm back on track!      The wife is not so happy with my work bench, aka the kitchen counter. 

post-1037-0-69858500-1547846518_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Theogeek

Man, this makes me feel like less of a man.  :)  I spent $120 on a used i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and Linux Mint 19. Using the motherboard graphics - Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200.

It handles everything fine, but then again, I'm not serving more than a few streams, so it works fine.  

The only thing it doesn't do super awesome is play 1080i content from our local NBC affiliate.  I have an HDHomerun Duo, and have everything set to deinterlace live TV, but on my Fire TV, it still looks noticeably worse than the same source on Kodi with Bob deinterlacing (through TVHeadend).

Any clues about that?  I'm trying to go to a single point solution.  Currently I use emby for everything, EXCEPT live TV on NBC.  I'd love to move to emby for everything.

Edited by Theogeek
  • Haha 1

pir8radio

Well, the new GPU server is up, has been working pretty well...   Have to start some testing now!

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

I’m in for testing. Let me know what you need. I can probably pull 15-20 streams of needed.

Yea that might be too many already,  lol     Some initial 4k testing acts a little strange..    6-7 streams and the FPS starts to get close to 28-30....   but gpu never gets too far above 40%     so i removed the 4k file for now to do some 1080p testing..  :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
30000watts
On 12/23/2018 at 3:48 PM, Guest asrequested said:

Quick question. I may be misreading something, but how are going to put a 4U GPU in a 2U case? They are 4.4". If the power connectors are at the back, you can just about squeeze one in a 3U. That's what I did with my GTX 1050. But for the GTX 1060, the power connectors were on top, and I needed to get a 4U case.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I want to tackle adding one to a 1u case. In my case it would require stripping all the plastic, fans, and heat sinks off the card, replacing them with suitable water cooled cooling block. Then what....  Add laboratory grade quick disconnects in the rear of the case so that it can be easily disconnected from the cooling system. Then we need power🤔  12 volts is all we need, so just a simple socket in back rated for slightly more wattage than the card draws at peek loads. The power supply doesn't need to be atx, but it would be best if it was square wave, and again rated for slightly more wattage than the card draws at peek usage A power supply for an ASIC mining rig would work perfectly. The ground from our new power socket for the external power supply inside the server case needs a runner wire from it to on of the black wires coming out of the server's atx power supply so that they share a common negative. Add a good diode to that to ensure current doesn't travel back across the runner into the mobo. and there it is. Now to actually build it. Pretty sure everything I need is on amazon soo that's my next stop.

cheers🍻

Edited by 30000watts

Would a new case not be easier and keep warrantees valid?