Not scaling video on Roku Express (UK spec)

io1901

I recently set up a Emby Server Docker (after falling out with plex - no plugins!) and set it up in my Roku 3 and it plays well (after fiddling with the sound settings within the Roku). it doesn't seem to play well  with a Roku express, it plays the video but it doesn't seem to resize the video to fit the screen - it appears that you can only see the top quarter of the video. Had a quick through the Roku settings but couldn't see anything.

Any suggestions?

Hi there, can we please go over an example? Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I have to say those instructions aren't very clear to a new user. Can I suggest they someone rewrites them assuming the reader knows nothing. As they say nothing about having to restart the APP to get the send log tile after turning on the debug options. I thought I was doing something wrong. I have also read a few of your other help pages and they are all a bit "vague", for instance I was checking the file format and was completely confused by: 

• First, compare the media format of your file to the format supported by the Emby app. You can find the media info in the Emby Web Client, at the bottom of the detail page.

As I can't even locate the detail page on the Emby web client.

Anyway played a test recording from my tvheadend recorder called "Peppa pig.ts"  The local user was ROKU. it was sent about ten minutes ago.

Only one file I have tested played correctly I think it was a file that PLex converted from a 1080p down to 720. Everything else does the same.  All files play on the Roku 3.

A Roku express with composite RCA jacks video/audio used? Or a Roku express through HDMI to an HDTV?

Edit: Also the "Send Logs" not appearing until you restart the app issue is solved with the next Beta. ( Fix #160: Restart App when changing debug options )

Edited by speechles

Had a bit more time today. The videos thst aren't streaming properly are all mpeg standard definition videos (in various containers). All the 720 and 1080 are streaming properly.

Can you provide a sample video via DropBox, GoogleDrive, etc?

I will need to reach out to Roku to have them investigate this and having proper samples is required. Thanks and apologies for the issue. We will follow up when we know more.

Right, after subscribing to Premiere and getting Emby to convert the files in the background (the TV profile) , the converted files now work (I've set it to keep the original files for now). I know that the converted files are a completely different coding so that's not solving why the original ts (mpg) coded files aren't working on this particular Roku but at least I can use it.

@@io1901

The Peppa Pig plays fine for me on the Roku ultra. It is a TS and we purposely remux these to a new container so that there is an ability to seek the stream. There are also subtitles in dvbsub and these do get burned in if captions are enabled on the Roku. Do you have captions enabled? If you turn the captions off in the OSD of the video player does it play correctly? Are you using hardware or software for transcoding on your Emby server?

I don't see anything really standout about Peppa Pig other than the .ts and dvbsub captions. I am curious if the captions being burned in are causing it or not..

If you don't have captions on, can you turn them on and see if the issue still exists.

If you do have captions on, can you turn them off and see if the issue still exists. 

@@Luke

Somewhere the issue is either us or the Roku firmware on that device. I am leaning towards this being a Roku firmware issue on their lower-power(underpowered?) devices.

EDIT: 

Since my Roku has firmware version 9.0.x on it I tried to seek again with direct play on ts,mpegts,mpeg2ts and low and behold it does seek. You can seek anywhere it just isn't tracking correctly on the scrubber bar. But it is showing correctly on the timeline of minutes you are into the video. So it is seeking directly without restarting the video or starting at the same point. So perhaps in the app we need a setting to allow direct play of TS files? I think we do...

Edited by speechles

@speechless - in answer to your questions -  well you might have hit the nail on the head with the subtitles, if they are on it plays correctly (although I can't turn them off again and then crashes back to the main Roku menu). I did wonder about it being underpowered, as you mentioned, compared to the other Roku - but it has a better processor and the same memory (if wikipedia info is reliable!)

Roku express 3900EU (my software is 9.0.0 - build 4083-51) 

Roku 3  4200X (software version 9.0.0 build 4084-04)

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the Roku express may require some special considerations. We're looking into it, thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi Luke

Is this something that is being looked into still? I am using a HDHomerun Quadro to stream live TV to a Roku Express (again UK version) and most of the channels are scaled wrong i.e. as the OP pointed out it only shows the top 1/4 of the stream. If I switch to the HD channels then it works fine.

Funny thing is its not all the SD channels, the majority but not all. 

Is there any settings in the Roku Express app that will force it to transcode which I have read may solve the issue, I just can't find any related settings in the APP.

It might be the interlacing. The thing might see 480i and not know this is really 240p with 1/2 framerate. Usually your TV corrects this the Roku isn't actually involved but maybe something the Roku is doing is messing up the TV's ability to see the 480i is interlaced video and act appropriately?

You can also in the Video Player open the OSD (press down) while a video plays. Once open find the 3 sliders (graphic equalizer) and click it. On this menu are options to change quality, playback correction, and repeat. You can use playback correction multiple times and it will fallback through methods just like as if it had an error occur. You may have to use this button twice to get full transcoding. Once fully transcoding does the issue still persist?

Edited by speechles

• 1 month later...
dwilliams1315

I can confirm I have the same problem having just upgraded from an original Roku streaming stick to a Roku express. All the SD channels from my HDhomerun and the associated recordings are 480p mpeg2. As with the other posters only the top 1/4 of the image is displayed. Selecting playback correction twice corrects the issue by transcoding to H264(AVC). The HD versions of the channels display correctly as they are already H264.

I can confirm I have the same problem having just upgraded from an original Roku streaming stick to a Roku express. All the SD channels from my HDhomerun and the associated recordings are 480p mpeg2. As with the other posters only the top 1/4 of the image is displayed. Selecting playback correction twice corrects the issue by transcoding to H264(AVC). The HD versions of the channels display correctly as they are already H264.

Hi.  Are you sure the app is up to date?  What is the version shown in the settings?

moonlightmedia

Hi, I'm using a Roku Express and have the same problem with all my SD channels. Is it going to be fixed or should I use forced transcode till a fix is released? Thanks. 

Hi, I'm using a Roku Express and have the same problem with all my SD channels. Is it going to be fixed or should I use forced transcode till a fix is released? Thanks. 

What model# of Roku Express is this? We might be able to do something. What is the stats for nerds showing on the channels that have problems? Can you take a picture with the stats for nerds showing. Play the item and press down on your Roku remote. Look for the gear/cog icon. Click that open playback options. In this menu is stats for nerds. We need to see what is happening there and an ffmpeg log from that same session if one was created along with your model #. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

• 2 weeks later...

What is the model number of your express? Is this the express or express+?

This is directly related to downscaling/upscaling which the Roku on certain models cannot do.

Is this a 3900 or 3910 model number? We already cover 3900 with our work-around so if this is the case our work-around needs some work.. lol..

If indeed your model is 3910 we just need to add that to same routines that catch 3900 and you won't have to use that 2-button-press playback correction trick. It will automatically know to start this way. Please get back to us so we can quickly resolve this issue. Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

TobyWiddows

HI,

I'm having the same issue,  i use a Roku 3900EU.

Attached (hopefully) an image of the screen and the nerd info,

5cb994ae8585e_IMG_02511.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated in my efforts to cut the cord!!

regards

Toby