91 replies to this topic

#81 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Local time: 04:50 AM

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

I appreciate the suggestion, however this has not helped me in the past when I attempted. I even factory reset the Shield with no improvement.

I also tested with MPV more, and the issue was the same, it just glitched differently (likely due to how the player interprets whatever condition is happening). 

I also see this same issue on my MiBox, so that wouldn't directly compare to it being only on the Shield (it is far worse on my Shield though).

I attempted to hook up the problematic Shield directly to the TV, and then use the Audio Return Channel or even the Optical digital to the receiver for sound to see if it was better. It was no different, same issue.

I've basically given up for now, Emby requires pausing prior to it being glitch free for me while direct streaming. I can't understand how it's only me, but it seems to be, and I've exhausted my troubleshooting ideas.

The only remaining test case is replacing FFMPEG with another version, but I attempted to do just that, and my previous instructions I followed didn't work, or I forgot how I did it exactly previously  :huh: (docker exec, some command to extract, install, etc...)

I can't recall but (and I know it brings in its own issues) if seeking within a TS is enabled in Exo, does LiveTv with trick play then direct play as opposed to direct stream?

If so, that would likely solve my issue as well.

I just came back in here to say the issues came back last night during the super bowl so its definitely not just you and its pretty aggravating. I ended up using the Samsung app on my TV which is even more aggravating because that starts up within 4 seconds with seeking enabled and never pauses. 

#82 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Local time: 03:50 AM

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:29 PM

I just came back in here to say the issues came back last night during the super bowl so its definitely not just you and its pretty aggravating. I ended up using the Samsung app on my TV which is even more aggravating because that starts up within 4 seconds with seeking enabled and never pauses.

That's interesting, thanks for sharing your experience. I do wish load times on what's considered THE best (hardware spec anyhow) ATV device could be improved, however this seems more of a fault of ATV not properly supporting direct play for this use case, and Emby having to work its magic to make it work as we'd expect.

#83 maegibbons ONLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2091 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 AM
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:41 AM

Not that I can think of at the moment.

Have you tried using MPV for Live TV?

I thought that was knocking off allow video stream copy option?

So a transcode and not a remux is done with direct stream live tv off

Krs

Mark

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Edited by maegibbons, 05 February 2019 - 04:43 AM.

#84 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:45 PM

Has there been anymore insight to this and maybe a way to correct it? Last night I was getting pauses almost every 3 minutes and some would last a couple of minutes. Ive tried all the settings and MPV (horrible audio/video sync) but nothing is correcting it. 

Its definitely much worse on my living room Shield than the bedroom one even after a factory reset. Im strongly considering trying to roll back my shield to version 7.1 but Im really not trying to brick my device. 

#85 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:59 PM

MPV is touch and go for me. I prefer VLC, the most stable app to use with IPTV streams is Perfect Player.

#86 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

MPV is touch and go for me. I prefer VLC, the most stable app to use with IPTV streams is Perfect Player.

Are you aware of any 3rd party players that allow seeking? VLC doesn't as far as I can tell, MXPlayer doesn't either. I couldn't even get Archos to play a live feed. 

#87 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:46 PM

Are you aware of any 3rd party players that allow seeking? VLC doesn't as far as I can tell, MXPlayer doesn't either. I couldn't even get Archos to play a live feed. 

Try Perfect Player. You can setup VOD channels that allow seeking. Seeking a live feed is never done since the moment has past. But you can pause and continue.

#88 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

So Im determined to make Emby work like it used to so today I changed some settings and factory reset my Shield. Only about an hour into watching TV but so far so good, not a single pause or audio dropout with Time-shifting enabled. Typically I get pauses and freezes within a few minutes. 

First I wiped my Shield which was most likely unnecessary after following the next step.

Secondly I changed some settings due to a post I found on Nvidia's forums that people said made a huge difference in the buffering they were experiencing in various apps.

In settings:

Turn off Wifi Scanning - Settings>Network>Scanning Always Available (Toggle Off)

Turn off IPv6 -  Settings>Network>Enable IPv6 (Toggle Off)

The wifi scanning would make sense because that was off in my bedroom Shield already and I rarely have issues in there. 

As before, I don't know if this change is the end all be all fix or if the issue will start to appear again but for now its playing great again. If you haven't already, Id give the 2 settings changes a shot. If you have already changed these then that worries me that the issue will come back again. If it does Im going to start fully powering off my Shield and see if it has something to do with sleep mode. 

• ebr likes this

#89 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 42862 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:52 PM

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

#90 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:05 AM

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

I think those 2 settings, most likely the wifi scanning, fixed it. I was able to watch about 5 hours of TV between yesterday and this morning and haven't had any issues. No pauses, no audio dropouts, nothing and thats running everything on "Auto Bitrate"and "Normal" Live TV Start Time, both from a local server and a remote server. 

I'll post if it comes back but this is the longest Ive been able to watch Live TV with time-shifting for a while now.  

Edited by TylerV76, 16 February 2019 - 10:07 AM.

• ebr likes this

#91 TylerV76 OFFLINE  

TylerV76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:20 PM

Problems came back today. Rebooted the shield but still getting pauses. Server automatically reboots daily at 4 a.m. so that shouldn't be the issue. Not sure what else I can try but for now Live TV on the shield is going to be a problem for me until Nvidia fixes whatever they broke. 

#92 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Local time: 03:50 AM

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:16 AM

Problems came back today. Rebooted the shield but still getting pauses. Server automatically reboots daily at 4 a.m. so that shouldn't be the issue. Not sure what else I can try but for now Live TV on the shield is going to be a problem for me until Nvidia fixes whatever they broke.

Appreciate the additional testing you did, unfortunate it wasn't a long term fix.
Since I also see this on my Mibox, I still think it's server side and not app side, but who knows. Since I had the same issue with a test Windows Emby server, I could be wrong in that assumption as well (however if FFMPEG is the same version in both environments, then this could still be relevant).
Oh well, I've spent too much time to care much at this point (it will just bother me more, it's easier to just pause for a couple of seconds). Nothing more I can do, and no one from the dev side can reproduce to be able to fix it.

Edited by bungee91, 18 February 2019 - 11:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LiveTv, Pauses, AndroidTv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users