114 replies to this topic

#41 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:14 PM

The changes I made in .75 could very well improve the original problem here.  It is possible they will make your other problem (the initial pause) worse because I've sped up the start time for Live TV across the board.

• bungee91 likes this

#42 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2853 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:19 PM

@ebr, the "glitch" he's talking about is still there in .75.  I get this as well ONCE a few seconds after switching channels.

I hardly notice it anymore as I know it's going to do it. It's less noticeable in .75 as well as it doesn't pause nearly as long as it used to.

Edited by cayars, 18 January 2019 - 12:19 PM.

#43 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:28 PM

@ebr, the "glitch" he's talking about is still there in .75. 

It is possible they will make your other problem (the initial pause) worse because I've sped up the start time for Live TV across the board.

I didn't expect that one to go away :).

#44 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 AM

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Most people do not see this (I don't) and to "fix" it requires delaying the start time for live TV - very undesirable.

Interesting...  Do we have any idea of environment/variables associated with "who" see's this? It completely kills any quick channel changing ability.

Also, I don't get the time differences between users for LiveTv channel loading in general.

You have mentioned that your tuning time is pretty quick (a couple of seconds if I recall), yet plenty of others are more like 7-8 seconds (me), and some MUCH higher than that.

To me that makes zero sense with similar hardware being used yet this wide of a variation.

If you're setup performs a "direct stream" on the server, without direct play on the ATV app (so you can pause/seek) you still get a very quick (sub 5 seconds) loading time?

I'm sorry but, for the other users who already are seeing the longer load times AND this initial glitch issue, something is wrong. I understand things are iffy or unreliable on a WAN connection, but I'm referring to Gb LAN, and on top of it (for me) relatively powerful hardware/end client.

#45 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:55 PM

I didn't expect that one to go away :).

I completely understand that this is not a major issue, but it still should be an issue, right?

It doesn't happen for X # of people (I assume majority), however does for others consistently shouldn't make it okay to just ignore.

It'd be one thing if the stream started SO fast that it causes it, BUT mine don't start very fast, AND it does it... Just seems like a bad way to view this, or ignore it as an issue as opposed to fixing it.

So for whatever clients/setup/whatever that have this issue, delay the stream a little and it is fixed. For others, don't delay it (can it be narrowed down to be that simple?).

#46 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

The changes I made in .75 could very well improve the original problem here.

I'm sorry if I only sound negative (previous post), I truly do appreciate the possibility that these improvements may help with the reoccurring "glitch" issue.

I will test this and report back (now that I've changed SO much of my setup, I won't be able to say for sure what exactly fixed it if so though...LOL)

#47 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:21 PM

Interesting...  Do we have any idea of environment/variables associated with "who" see's this? It completely kills any quick channel changing ability.

Also, I don't get the time differences between users for LiveTv channel loading in general.

You have mentioned that your tuning time is pretty quick (a couple of seconds if I recall), yet plenty of others are more like 7-8 seconds (me), and some MUCH higher than that.

To me that makes zero sense with similar hardware being used yet this wide of a variation.

If you're setup performs a "direct stream" on the server, without direct play on the ATV app (so you can pause/seek) you still get a very quick (sub 5 seconds) loading time?

I'm sorry but, for the other users who already are seeing the longer load times AND this initial glitch issue, something is wrong. I understand things are iffy or unreliable on a WAN connection, but I'm referring to Gb LAN, and on top of it (for me) relatively powerful hardware/end client.

Unfortunately, I think the only choice here is going to be to add some options around this so look for that in an upcoming beta.

#48 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:34 PM

Unfortunately, I think the only choice here is going to be to add some options around this so look for that in an upcoming beta.

That'd be much appreciated to fine tune for specific situations such as this.

Do the logs show what particular function/process each step is taking prior to having the stream start playing on the client?

I'd certainly be interested to find out what in my environment is causing the delays (edit: I'm referring to initial start time, not glitches).

Edited by bungee91, 18 January 2019 - 03:35 PM.

#49 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

Do the logs show what particular function/process each step is taking prior to having the stream start playing on the client?

I'd certainly be interested to find out what in my environment is causing the delays (edit: I'm referring to initial start time, not glitches).

No, but based on my fiddling with buffer sizes in the player, I think your initial supposition is correct.  It catches up to the buffered amount too quickly and has to re-buffer.  So, increasing the time you wait before playing will potentially eliminate it.

IMO - that is not necessarily a better experience as it takes even longer to tune to a channel but you can see how it works for you.

#50 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

No, but based on my fiddling with buffer sizes in the player, I think your initial supposition is correct.  It catches up to the buffered amount too quickly and has to re-buffer.  So, increasing the time you wait before playing will potentially eliminate it.

IMO - that is not necessarily a better experience as it takes even longer to tune to a channel but you can see how it works for you.

I'd have your opinion as well if I thought the tuning was quick in general...LOL

However, if it takes 7-8 seconds to load, I expect it to work well once it does. If not, why not take 10 seconds, and play as smooth as butter?

Will report back.

#51 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2853 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

That will also be good for people on high latency connections as well.

#52 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Okay, bungee - there is now a setting for start time under Live TV settings.  I put one in that is longer than the current Exo default.  Try choosing this and see if it affects your initial pause issue.

The default for everyone else is "fast" which starts my IPTV streams in under a second and my HDHR streams in under 2 seconds (direct streaming).

#53 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Okay, bungee - there is now a setting for start time under Live TV settings. I put one in that is longer than the current Exo default. Try choosing this and see if it affects your initial pause issue.

The default for everyone else is "fast" which starts my IPTV streams in under a second and my HDHR streams in under 2 seconds (direct streaming).

Cool! However, nope... I have it on slow and it's still doing it at the same rate/occurrence as before. Can you increase the buffer for slow some more and I can test further? I'd love to know what the underlying issue is here, but again, I don't have this issue with any other usage/condition, just livetv with pause/skip functionality.

#54 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 2853 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:36 PM

Could you explain what these 3 different settings actually are?

Are these buffer sizes?  If so it should probably be called buffer size and larger, medium, small choices.

If this is a buffer size is it used strictly for TV or for everything else as well?

#55 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:44 AM

Cool! However, nope... I have it on slow and it's still doing it at the same rate/occurrence as before. Can you increase the buffer for slow some more and I can test further? I'd love to know what the underlying issue is here, but again, I don't have this issue with any other usage/condition, just livetv with pause/skip functionality.

I can try but I'm guessing isn't going to help and it is going to make the start up experience pretty bad.

#56 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:46 AM

Could you explain what these 3 different settings actually are?

Are these buffer sizes?  If so it should probably be called buffer size and larger, medium, small choices.

If this is a buffer size is it used strictly for TV or for everything else as well?

Well, does the labeling and placement of the option not answer both of those questions...?

(not trying to be a d*ck :).  I think you are over-thinking things instead of just reading what is there but, if not, we need to adjust)

#57 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

So, the slower the live tv time, the larger the buffer?

I tried the slow setting and that caused a lot of artifacts. Normal is how I have it set now and it looks ok.

Another question - Is the normal setting a larger buffer than before we had this setting?

Edited by dcol, 19 January 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#58 ebr ONLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 44232 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

So, the slower the live tv time, the larger the buffer?

I tried the slow setting and that caused a lot of artifacts. Normal is how I have it set now and it looks ok.

Another question - Is the normal setting a larger buffer than before we had this setting?

I think maybe you are talking about a different setting..?

There is nothing stating anything about a buffer in this setting screen:

5c434fc75565e_livestartsetting.png

#59 dcol OFFLINE  

dcol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 839 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • LocationTucson, Arizona

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:47 PM

I think maybe you are talking about a different setting..?

There is nothing stating anything about a buffer in this setting screen:

5c434fc75565e_livestartsetting.png

I am referring to the Live TV Start time. Is that a buffer setting, and if not, what is it?

Setting this to slow creates a lot of artifacts. I have it set to normal now.

#60 bungee91 OFFLINE  

bungee91

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 01:52 PM

I can try but I'm guessing isn't going to help and it is going to make the start up experience pretty bad.

I don't think that's the case for me though, but I'd have to time it.
The slow setting didn't seem any slower than what I'm used to without this setting being available, so I'm thinking in my setup it didn't actually do anything (unfortunately).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LiveTv, Pauses, AndroidTv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users