Noob questions about ServerWMC

GreenAndPrickly

GreenAndPrickly
Pardon my ignorance.  I am not quite sure what capabilities ServerWMC has. 

We have one TV that is cabled to a WMC computer fed by a pair of HDHomerun Primes. The same TV is also cabled to a Roku that is used primarily for Netflix and Amazon Prime. We recently began using a 2nd Roku on a different TV to display both live TV and NPVR-recorded TV content via the Emby Roku app.

We still use WMC mainly to access WMC-content recorded before we started running NPR/Emby. We have been planning to watch all live and recorded TV content via the Emby Roku app on both computers.  However, we are now strongly considering discontinuing our Xfinity cable subscription altogether, and switching to Youtube TV.  (We will start a test of it tomorrow.)  Assuming we do that, of course the Primes will then have no signal and WMC will have no channels. 

Some stupid questions:

• Does ServerWMC have the ability to play our previously WMC-recorded content on the Roku?
  • If so, will that ability continue after WMC loses its channels?
  • If not, what other options do we have to access that prerecorded content via the Rokus?

As long as the recordings are not marked copy once or copy never you can watch them and don't even need ServerWMC.

What makes you think WMC is going to lose it's channels?

I'd suggest checking out SiliconDust PremiumTV combined with Philo and possibly FitzyTV and definitely the apps for things such as FS and FX, getting signed in before dropping XFinity.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Edited by Sammy

GreenAndPrickly

As long as the recordings are not marked copy once or copy never you can watch them and don't even need ServerWMC.

What makes you think WMC is going to lose it's channels?

I'd suggest checking out SiliconDust PremiumTV combined with Philo and possibly FitzyTV and definitely the apps for things such as FS and FX, getting signed in before dropping XFinity.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Sammy, thanks for the reply.

• What other Roku apps would I use to watch WMC format files? (the files are all copy freely.)
  • With a cablecard device and no cable service, I don't understand how I would have channels?
  • With two quad-core Rokus already running fine, I don't plan to buy a Fire TV any time soon, so Fitzy is out.
  • We have checked out the Silicondust and Philo options, with particular focus on the channel lineups.  Youtube TV channel lineup looks to be a nearly perfect fit to our needs. Price is certainly reasonable compared to XFinity. We just need to try it for a few days to get a feel for the mechanics.