Overall Media info and server suggestions

erikblues

erikblues

I can't find a way to easily see which files still need to be converted.

It would be great if Emby could give some sort of info or report about my media library.

Things like:

- how much of my media has already been optimised for playback

- a "suggestion list" of files that should be optimised to avoid transcoding

This info could be displayed on the server dashboard or in each library folder's info.

This would also be very useful for new users who don't understand much about conversions, transcoding etc and could guide them into what they should do next to have the best possible experience.

What do you think? Any ideas on how this could be best displayed?

mastrmind11

but that's highly subjective based on what clients will be used.  what direct plays on one potentially won't, or can't, on another.  eg, how do you create this list when everyone using the server connects via browser except 1 client that is a Shield hooked up to a 4k tv and atmos sound system?  in this case, "optimized" would be to strip off all but stereo sound, and the shield client would be negatively effected.

to me, this is (and should be) a manual process where you figure out the cross section based on your clients, and then batch convert your media to meet those client's playback abilities, but keeping the original files for playback on better equipment.  

that's my 2c anyway.

• Like 1

erikblues

to me, this is (and should be) a manual process where you figure out the cross section based on your clients, and then batch convert your media to meet those client's playback abilities, but keeping the original files for playback on better equipment.

that's my 2c anyway.

Hi @mastermind11,

I think your example is a bit more of an exception. Most people just hit the “convert media” button and the only options they have to choose from are “optimize for mobile or TV”.

I was thinking about something more along the lines of:

What format do you wish to optimize you media to by default:

[x] Mobile

[ ] TV

And based on that, the system would report on which files aren’t optimized for that format yet and give recommendations (eg.: “don’t forget to convert these files for smoother playback”).

Audio channels and all that are much more specific challenges and wouldnt be covered by the Emby wizzard.

Does that make sense?