New artist added and displaying incorrectly

RedStripe

RedStripe

Server: Version 3.0.5211.41935

OK, I'm getting confused and frustrated. I added an artist folder with an album. Search provides the following results for the new artist.

53572d62b9f5d_Capture.png

The Music page displays the Artist as follows:

53572dc84a480_Capture2.png

When clicking on the O'Jays the following page is displayed:

53572e0b933d1_Capture3.png

Then clicking on edit presents the following page:

53572e48d20fc_Capture4.png

Then clicking on the first album folder presents the following page (note: no albums listed):

53572f4be5b9c_Capture6.png

This appears to be the structure of the folder item identified in the search.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

By clicking the "Artist" item identified in the search I get what I expect to see, first:

53572fbc64c98_Capture7.png
bottom half of page:

5357300345571_Capture8.png

Clicking on edit presents the following page:

53573162c2548_Capture10.png

When click on the first Album the following page presents:

5357303c356c5_Capture9.png

Conclusion:
Everything would present as expected if the "folder" entry point did not appear on the "Music"  page (or anywhere) and the "Artist" entry point did appear on the "Music" page. I have noticed that the "Path:" on the "Edit" pages are different.

I have refreshed the music folder...no joy. I have restarted the server...no joy. I have deleted and readded the artist folder...no joy. What am I doing wrong?

• 3 months later...
fraenhawk

Just ran across this for the first time as well. Instead of the artist pointing to the UNC in my music share (\\SERVER\music\the cure) it's pointing to "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\artists\The Cure"

Is there a workaround to getting that artist rescanned properly?

thefirstofthe300

I've been considering migrating my itunes music collection of several hundred gigs over to MB. It's currently (and after years of work) well organizes with correct album art on everything. Running into problems like these scares me away even tho I love MB and outgrown iTunes. Is it possible to add my music to MB and have MBS do NOTHING with metadata? Change no names, no artwork. My folder structure is all c:/artists/albums.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edit: sorry, I guess I meant to say not modify the tagged data and artwork in my music files while still downloading backdrops. Is this too much of a dream?

From my understanding, MBS will only read the embedded tags and not edit them.

I think I'll try it on a sample of artists and see how it goes. If MBS is only going to generate XML files and not touch id3 tags I'd be willing to go for it. I'm just still wary of the issues described in this post. Can one of the @devs tell us more about how MBS treats music or post a link to a source that does?

Deathsquirrel

MB3 has never touched my ID3 tags in any way.  So far as I know it has no ability to write to media files of any sort.  It just downloads meta data to XML files and .jpg files from the internet.

I've been considering migrating my itunes music collection of several hundred gigs over to MB. It's currently (and after years of work) well organizes with correct album art on everything. Running into problems like these scares me away even tho I love MB and outgrown iTunes. Is it possible to add my music to MB and have MBS do NOTHING with metadata? Change no names, no artwork. My folder structure is all c:/artists/albums.

Edit: sorry, I guess I meant to say not modify the tagged data and artwork in my music files while still downloading backdrops. Is this too much of a dream?

Edited by Jvtm

fraenhawk

As far as I know, no. If you want MB to serve it up, then it will scan it all and add it to its database. My problem isn't even with it messing with metadata, I still use Media Player to edit all of that and MB has never messed any of that up. This is a problem where it's looking in a directory that doesn't even belong to that media library.

• Like 1

fraenhawk

Right, that's what I was saying. MB hasn't messed with my data, it keeps its own. You just might run into this problem playing/finding them through MB. They're there untouched still on the filesystem.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your having trouble and I was afraid of this sort of thing. I'm not ready to go through what you are going through for 700gigs of mp3s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right, that's what I was saying. MB hasn't messed with my data, it keeps its own. You just might run into this problem playing/finding them through MB. They're there untouched still on the filesystem.

Right on so at the very worst I can just revert back to itunes if I get faced with the prospect of manually cleaning up hundreds of gigs of music. @@fraenhawk did you get his issue a lot or was it sporadic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fraenhawk

This was the first time I had run into it. I don't use MB for music a ton so I haven't gone through my whole library to see how many other folders are affected by this. I just found the other person's thread that had the same problem.