No subtitles on roku

dixonqmg

dixonqmg

Have a south park episode, and can't see any subtitles when playing on roku. When play on my MacBook subtitles are shown fine. on roku in video info I see "CC", subtitles are permanently on in roku settings, and enabled in this video in emby player. Latest emby.

I've used send log on emby roku app. 8:31pm central time, South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].mkv

Thanks! 

HI, so you've already played the same subtitles in the web app successfully? What format subtitles? Are they internal or external? Thanks !

dixonqmg

HI, so you've already played the same subtitles in the web app successfully? What format subtitles? Are they internal or external? Thanks !

Yes, I've played them in the web app just fine. External subtitles in .srt format. 

Hi.  If you press the down arrow during playback and then select the subtitle button there, does it show your subtitle selected?

dixonqmg

Can you provide the emby server and ffmpeg log (if applicable) from the Roku playback attempt? thanks.

Please see both files attached (ffmpeg is for some reason timestamped at a different time, don't see a recent one, but it's about the same south park episode, so hopefully will be helpful).

Thanks

ff.txt

server.txt

dixonqmg

Hi.  If you press the down arrow during playback and then select the subtitle button there, does it show your subtitle selected?

Yes. Well, it shows "some" subtitle selected, the name of it is "Und", but I assume it's a correct one

Edited by dixonqmg

dixonqmg

And what if you use that menu to change subtitle tracks?

The only other option available is "none". Switching it back and forth a few times doesn't do anything. 

Yes. Well, it shows "some" subtitle selected, the name of it is "Und", but I assume it's a correct one

When you play this item in the web player, is the subtitle track labeled with the proper language?

dixonqmg

When you play this item in the web player, is the subtitle track labeled with the proper language?

In the web player it also shows "Und" and "Off" as options when I click on the "CC" button. Unless you're talking about some other option elsewhere?

dixonqmg

Okay, so this could be related to the unknown language of the subtitle.

Can you please try the beta version of the Roku app?

Tried beta roku app - same effect. 

Renamed .srt file into .English.srt - now it shows up as "English" in the web app, and as "Eng" in the subtitles selection in roku. Still doesn't play anything on roku (web app is playing them fine).

TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported

The MKV has errors in it. The app is falling back (playback recovery after error) to transcoding to get around that. Full Remux. Copy both streams video and audio. Now as to why the subtitles aren't showing is a different issue. Maybe Roku has changed something related to this in the firmware, who knows. It works perfectly fine on my Roku Ultra to change subtitles, audio streams, qualities, playback correction, etc..

Is the subtitle named South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].eng.srt and in the same folder as South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].mkv ?

Edited by speechles

dixonqmg

TranscodeReasons=ContainerNotSupported,VideoCodecNotSupported,AudioCodecNotSupported

The MKV has errors in it. The app is falling back (playback recovery after error) to transcoding to get around that. Full Remux. Copy both streams video and audio. Now as to why the subtitles aren't showing is a different issue. Maybe Roku has changed something related to this in the firmware, who knows. It works perfectly fine on my Roku Ultra to change subtitles, audio streams, qualities, playback correction, etc..

Is the subtitle named South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].eng.srt and in the same folder as South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].mkv ?

Subtitle was named South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].srt initially, then I renamed it into South.Park.S22E09.WEBRip.x264-PBS[ettv].English.srt. Was in the same folder both times. 

Does this happen for other videos, or just this one?

Just this one. Tried on another video, with the same subtitles setup, and it works just fine. 

It might be due to the errors in the video stream. The app cannot direct play that file and is getting an error. It is using playback recovery to restart the video. Instead of direct playing (the app knows it cant since it got an error) it is remuxing copying both video and audio. Can you try using "Playback Correction" in the OSD once. Use the playback menu button (3 sliders like a graphic equalizer) and choose playback correction once. This should force it to instead transcode the video stream rather than copy. This may fix whatever is breaking the subtitles from showing up.

Edited by speechles

dixonqmg

It might be due to the errors in the video stream. The app cannot direct play that file and is getting an error. It is using playback recovery to restart the video. Instead of direct playing (the app knows it cant since it got an error) it is remuxing copying both video and audio. Can you try using "Playback Correction" in the OSD once. Use the playback menu button (3 sliders like a graphic equalizer) and choose playback correction once. This should force it to instead transcode the video stream rather than copy. This may fix whatever is breaking the subtitles from showing up.

No effect in either regular or beta version of roku app

Also you can try using MKVToolNix GUI to fix it. Drag and drop your MKV over the window and start remux. This might fix it so that video will direct play and fix the subtitle problem at the same time.

I can also test as @@Luke suggested if you can supply the subtitles that are giving you grief. Thanks. Happy Holidays. :)

• 3 weeks later...
kenlewisesq

Has this been resolved? I am also having issues with subtitles in MKV files. They show fine in the iPad app but do not show in the Roku (Premier +) app despite being selected in the movie settings.