User Groups or single logon with multiple profiles

hotwheelzffx

This is a theoretical issue only imo.

It is also up to the parents to protect their data, thus make sure the child doesn't see what is being entered.

Apart from that PIN is not entered via the normal virtual keyboard but using up, down, left, right, etc. at least Amazon used to be like that when I used the Sticks back in the days.

A non PIN login should also be considered though for those that have older children. 

Example: My sister (18+) lives in my parents with them, there no PIN would be required for the device in the living room.

Guest RXWatcher

yeah, Ideally there would be 'no password required on devices I've previously logged in on' and 'pin for devices I've previously logged in on' should both be options. I wasnt going to go down the 'no password required on devices I've previously logged in on' path because I thought it would be killed as a deal breaker but the truth is both should be an option. It should be the users choice how they want to protect their access or not, not Emby's idea as to how the user should protect their access.

Windows(and Linux for that matter) still have the 'automatically log into my device without a password' because its about choice. You choose your own level of security.

Edited by RXWatcher

• 5 weeks later...

What about the proposal to implement a timer that, whenever you activate the emby app (on whatever device) after it was inactive for a defined period of time (say 30 minutes) you have to select a user profile again (independent from whether the user has a password or pin protection or not)?

It was mentioned in the last posting of the first page and seemed to get lost when someone else answered something else and opened the second page.

Would be MUCH easier when my kids watch over the day and I can return to my own profile with only ONE click (instead of three or more!) when I watch in the evening.

Dreams would come true if the cached user per app would be linked to the system's or parent app's user, like: I switched to my own Amazon Fire TV profile so I will automatically get the emby profile that was last active when started from this amazon user. The same with browser app when started from a OS user or whatelse...

The current way the user has to be switched is slightly annoying in a 6 person family...

Sounds like you want a logout vs a screen saver option that simply remembers the last screen you were on and could optionally start back there after logging in.

Could be useful to parents who have questionable material on their site and don't want the kids to be able to access it if they forget to log out.

27 minutes ago, cayars said:

Sounds like you want a logout vs a screen saver option that simply remembers the last screen you were on and could optionally start back there after logging in.

No. It would be fully sufficient if I am "forced" to choose my profile when reactivating/-starting Emby after a while. It doesn't need to remember my last menu. I only don't want to be in the home screen of my wife when I start our FireTV after a working day.

• Thanks 1

DatsiK96

Not that anyone asked for my two cents...

My imagination of the process would be like this:

1. Open Emby

2. Login (First Time)

3. Options -> Switch Account -> Add Account

4. Login to second account

5. Every time you open Emby, would ask you to select a 'profile' showing a picture from the account and their name.

6. Optionally, set a PIN to switch to profile. Securing profile against unwanted access on that device.

This would all be stored locally on that device, and all accounts would need to be setup on other devices if they wanted a similar setup.

Obviously, you can add more and more accounts be repeating steps 3 through 5.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2022 at 7:05 AM, Arby said:

What about the proposal to implement a timer that, whenever you activate the emby app (on whatever device) after it was inactive for a defined period of time (say 30 minutes) you have to select a user profile again (independent from whether the user has a password or pin protection or not)?

It was mentioned in the last posting of the first page and seemed to get lost when someone else answered something else and opened the second page.

Would be MUCH easier when my kids watch over the day and I can return to my own profile with only ONE click (instead of three or more!) when I watch in the evening.

Dreams would come true if the cached user per app would be linked to the system's or parent app's user, like: I switched to my own Amazon Fire TV profile so I will automatically get the emby profile that was last active when started from this amazon user. The same with browser app when started from a OS user or whatelse...

The current way the user has to be switched is slightly annoying in a 6 person family...

Hi.  That is an auto logoff feature.  It does exist in the Android/Fire TV apps right now and I believe it is on the list for consideration in the other apps.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is an auto logoff feature.  It does exist in the Android/Fire TV apps right now [...]

Huh? Will check that later this evening. Shame on me I didn't see this option yet, if that is correct.

Supplement: Yes, that's it. Why didn't I realized that earlier?

And it would be PERFECT, if you were able to reorder the user profiles on the profile selection screen. Now it seems to be sorted automatically by Name.

23 hours ago, Arby said:

Supplement: Yes, that's it. Why didn't I realized that earlier?

And it would be PERFECT, if you were able to reorder the user profiles on the profile selection screen. Now it seems to be sorted automatically by Name.

What other ways would you want to reorder the list of users?
What situation would you want to sort these differently?

Thanks,
Carlo

I bet you know Netflix, Disney+ and Co. These have the possibility to reorder the profiles. So we had - as a family of 6 - the opportunity to order the profiles by age or importancy. In Emby I realized that on the login screen the first profile from the left is the one that is generally selected first, so I would like to order those profiles in a way that the profiles that are used most (like mine or that of my 2nd daughter) are the left-most, so it would be easier and faster to get to them to select them (less clicks). You know, some people don't have touch TVs and navigate by keys (like on FireTV).

6 hours ago, Arby said:

I bet you know Netflix, Disney+ and Co. These have the possibility to reorder the profiles. So we had - as a family of 6 - the opportunity to order the profiles by age or importancy. In Emby I realized that on the login screen the first profile from the left is the one that is generally selected first, so I would like to order those profiles in a way that the profiles that are used most (like mine or that of my 2nd daughter) are the left-most, so it would be easier and faster to get to them to select them (less clicks). You know, some people don't have touch TVs and navigate by keys (like on FireTV).

Since you aren't logged in at the time, whatever order you did choose would be universal (the same on all devices).  Is that what you want?

Hi :)

I know that there are alot of suggestions ... but the main request is:

In my house, I would like to see a User Profile selection similar to Netflix. Using my single logon 

Please we need it as Netflix (same idea)

if you make it only by create multi users and switch between them will not solve the issue. because the admin will always go to create these users and modify them :( . Please we want the user by itself to create these profiles and add restriction on it. for example if I create a user (account) for my brother, why i need from him to call me again to create another two users for his kids?!!!

Appreciate your support

Edited by iBoss
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2022 at 12:35 AM, DatsiK96 said:

Not that anyone asked for my two cents...

My imagination of the process would be like this:

1. Open Emby

2. Login (First Time)

3. Options -> Switch Account -> Add Account

4. Login to second account

5. Every time you open Emby, would ask you to select a 'profile' showing a picture from the account and their name.

6. Optionally, set a PIN to switch to profile. Securing profile against unwanted access on that device.

This would all be stored locally on that device, and all accounts would need to be setup on other devices if they wanted a similar setup.

Obviously, you can add more and more accounts be repeating steps 3 through 5.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:36 PM, iBoss said:

if you make it only by create multi users and switch between them will not solve the issue. because the admin will always go to create these users and modify them :( . Please we want the user by itself to create these profiles and add restriction on it. for example if I create a user (account) for my brother, why i need from him to call me again to create another two users for his kids?!!!

Appreciate your support

+1 to both

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, iBoss said:

Appreciate your support

Hi,

You want to be able to delegate the ability for a user to create other users?  Who then sets up all the configuration a normal user never sees or has access to?

What if the user creating the account is locked to a single device. Will users he creates have all the same restrictions already in place as the user who created the account?

This is not to say it couldn't be done but the whole user management would need to get replaced with a model that allows delegation of duties and ability to create/modify user accounts and devices. We would probably need device management as well as limiting a user or group to X devices as well.

You should right this up as it's own feature request.

Hi @cayars

I believe  you misunderstand the request in the fist place. We dont want from the user to create another user at all (thats why we said as Netflix). we want the user has ability to create profile under his account (it is as children user under his account); and these profiles will not be a user that shown under dashboard user for the admin because it is actually not users.The profile it will be same as the configuration as the parent user; the only thing that the user can specify for these profiles is the "parental rating".

I hope it is clear now

Thanks

dani75alves
12 horas atrás, cayars disse:

Oi,

Você deseja delegar a capacidade de um usuário criar outros usuários? Quem então define toda a configuração que um usuário normal nunca vê ou tem acesso?

E se o usuário está criando uma conta bloqueada em um único dispositivo? Os usuários que ele criaram tiveram todas as mesmas restrições já em vigor do usuário que criou a conta?

Isso não quer dizer que não poderia ser feito, mas todo o gerenciamento de usuários precisaria ser substituído por um modelo que permitisse a falta de funções e a capacidade de criar/modificar contas e dispositivos de usuários. Provavelmente precisaríamos de gerenciamento de dispositivos, além de limitar um usuário ou grupo a X dispositivos também.

Você deve corrigir isso como sua própria solicitação de recurso.

@cayarsA ideia é como o amigo@iBoss falou, seria um estilo Netflix. Como iria funcionar, exemplo: 

1- Eu criei um usuário para o meu irmão;

2- Meu irmão tem 4 pessoas em casa (Ele, Esposa e dois filhos)

3- Meu irmão poderia criar dentro do usuário mais três perfis (um para esposa e dois para seus filhos) 

4- Meu irmão define um PIN de 4 dígitos para cada perfil; 

5- Quando meu irmão ou a esposa ou seus filhos forem assistir o Emby vai perguntar: Quem está assistindo? E a pessoa que for dona do perfil vai escolher o seu, digitar seu PIN e entrar no seu perfil.

Esses perfis não irão aparecer para o ADM, eles não são Usuários, são apenas perfis gerenciados, e esse modelo seria como a Disney, Amazon, Netflix e outros, que podemos criar até 5 perfis para cada usuário. 

Veja o exemplo abaixo que estou enviando do meu usuário da Disney 

Screenshot_20221121-134531.png

Edited by dani75alves
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, iBoss said:

the only thing that the user can specify for these profiles is the "parental rating".

Emby would have to treat them like users in order to get any kind of decent functionality out of them.  They would all need/want their own view settings, resume points, next up, favorites, etc. etc.

12 minutes ago, ebr said:

Emby would have to treat them like users in order to get any kind of decent functionality out of them.  They would all need/want their own view settings, resume points, next up, favorites, etc. etc.

That why it is a feature request :)

Please we want all these and treat them like profiles under user like other services 🙏🏻

18 hours ago, iBoss said:

Hi @cayars

I believe  you misunderstand the request in the fist place. We dont want from the user to create another user at all (thats why we said as Netflix). we want the user has ability to create profile under his account (it is as children user under his account); and these profiles will not be a user that shown under dashboard user for the admin because it is actually not users.The profile it will be same as the configuration as the parent user; the only thing that the user can specify for these profiles is the "parental rating".

I hope it is clear now

Thanks

I got you. Yes that's a bit different and maybe easier to do. But Netflix actually works more like I mentioned earlier allowing you to have multiple distinct logins with different passwords and feature sets, at least it was that way when my kids were younger, and I set them up with their own accounts on Netflix. 

What I mentioned earlier could be a better solution from an Emby standpoint as it could be used differently depending on user need but could also be used very similar to what you request as well.  This way there would likely not be any needed changes to any of the clients.

A developer looking at the code and understanding the feature request as well as anything similar would have to make that call.

On a similar note, I'd like to see the ability to display all login usernames that are members of a group/family show up on any device that any member has manually logged in on.  It's the same functionality we have already expanded to a group.  This way the group you setup for your neighbor's family wouldn't see anybody's logins but their own.

adamstewiegreen

I'm using the Emby for Android app (i.e. NOT Android TV) on my Shield and I can't get this working.  On the Android TV it's super easy to set up in the settings, but I don't see that setting in the Emby for Android app.  Am I missing something?

On 11/21/2022 at 11:41 AM, dani75alves said:

will not appear for ADM, they are not Users, they are just managed profiles, and this model would be like Disney, Amazon, Netflix and others, that we can create up to 5 profiles for each user.

On 11/21/2022 at 12:00 PM, ebr said:

We would likely have to treat them as users but could maybe use the ParentID back to the family "admin" so we know it's a linked account.  But at the end of the day I still think adding groups would be the best way as a user could be members of multiple groups and it would fulfil other user requests as well. Granted it's actually a bit more than what's asked for here but would be doable using groups as well.  Group in this case would be the family unit.

• Agree 1

On 1/17/2019 at 10:33 PM, Luke said:

If the apps were able to remember multiple logins, would that help?

I might be wrong but for most of us this suggestion of Luke from 2019 would probably be enough for the majority.
Before going the super fancy way of groups and whatsoever we can have the easier stuff first.
Why would I need a group if I can already create a user for my child?!
The admin account could then be protected via a PIN like I suggested here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66778-user-groups-or-single-logon-with-multiple-profiles/&do=findComment&comment=1189267

Just my 2cents though...