User Groups or single logon with multiple profiles

hotwheelzffx

On 12/18/2018 at 11:06 PM, hotwheelzffx said:

In my house, I would like to see a User Profile selection similar to Netflix. Using my single logon, I would like my family to choose between who is watching.

That way each of us can watch shows without marking it watched for someone else.

In this scenario, I would have a 4 users in a Family Group using the same username/password.

We really need this 👍👍👍👍

I think the PIN feature that has been implemented during 4.8 beta is already a good step into the right direction and achieving this.

Is it one to one the same? No, it's not.

Does it achieve similar, e.g. quick jumping between accounts while keeping kids out of restricted stuff (PIN)? Yes, I think so.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, neik said:

I think the PIN feature that has been implemented during 4.8 beta is already a good step into the right direction and achieving this.

Is it one to one the same? No, it's not.

Does it achieve similar, e.g. quick jumping between accounts while keeping kids out of restricted stuff (PIN)? Yes, I think so.

Unfortunately, the PIN is a different feature/idea and does not achieving the profile feature.

• Like 1

rbjtech

Once all the clients have been updated to a) Save the password and b) Allow/enforce PIN if required - then for it's intended family/friends usage,   this FR is complete.

User groups etc are clearly not required for typical family use ...

• Like 2

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, iBoss said:

Unfortunately, the PIN is a different feature/idea and does not achieving the profile feature.

It is not required - simply create a shared account for each user - and display them for easy login - there is zero need for shared 'Profiles'.

12 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

It is not required - simply create a shared account for each user - and display them for easy login - there is zero need for shared 'Profiles'.

Kindly understand that this is your opinion, but the PIN is a separate idea. I am puzzled as to why we are discussing it within this request, which is specifically for a profile feature.

The profile feature is primarily intended for family use, which is why many members have been requesting it. This is also why services like Netflix and Disney utilize it.

Others, including myself, have previously explained the scenario for why we need it.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:36 PM, iBoss said:

Hi :)

I know that there are alot of suggestions ... but the main request is:

Please we need it as Netflix (same idea)

if you make it only by create multi users and switch between them will not solve the issue. because the admin will always go to create these users and modify them :( . Please we want the user by itself to create these profiles and add restriction on it. for example if I create a user (account) for my brother, why i need from him to call me again to create another two users for his kids?!!!

Appreciate your support

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, iBoss said:

Kindly understand that this is your opinion, but the PIN is a separate idea. I am puzzled as to why we are discussing it within this request, which is specifically for a profile feature.

The profile feature is primarily intended for family use, which is why many members have been requesting it. This is also why services like Netflix and Disney utilize it.

Others, including myself, have previously explained the scenario for why we need it.

Highly agree to this comment, the profile feature is the only thing that emby is missing atm, without it… other services feels more family friendly

19 minutes ago, iBoss said:

You achieve exactly the same by creating for each user (mom, dad, kid(s)) an account and change the user back and forth as required. You just create an account instead of a "profile", same thing other name imho..

Additionally, with the PIN feature you can now (or in near future, depends on the server and client you're on) use, you can restrict the kids to access your account, thus ensure that they don't watch inappropriate stuff (e.g. movies that aren't meant for their age).

I mean, you can also insist on the user profiles but if I were I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, given that something similar is already in place/development.

2 minutes ago, neik said:

You achieve exactly the same by creating for each user (mom, dad, kid(s)) an account and change the user back and forth as required. You just create an account instead of a "profile", same thing other name imho..

Additionally, with the PIN feature you can now (or in near future, depends on the server and client you're on) use, you can restrict the kids to access your account, thus ensure that they don't watch inappropriate stuff (e.g. movies that aren't meant for their age).

I mean, you can also insist on the user profiles but if I were I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon, given that something similar is already in place/development.

That's why it is different. I don't like creating accounts. Why should users need to contact the admin for this? For example, my brother already has an account, and now he wants an additional account for his kid (8-year-old). Why should he have to call me to create another one? Furthermore, he needs to inform me about the specific restricted content requirements for each child. For example, his 12-year-old needs an account with one set of restrictions, and perhaps later, he'll want to modify those settings. This is just one example, and if you consider my extended family, which comprises more than 20 members, each with unique requirements and account needs, it becomes an impractical task for everyone to call me. I simply don't have the time for this.

Additionally, if I were to provide my brother with four connections, the number of these connections would remain the same even if he has multiple profiles.

I hope my explanation clarifies the issue. The concept of using a PIN for access is a different approach, and to implement it like a profile, the admin would need to field calls from every member to manage their connections and configurations. This would be time-consuming and impractical.

So, kindly here's what we need from the developer:

• The admin should be able to specify the number of profiles a user can create.
  • User Profile Creation: Users should have the ability to create profiles and define the restrictions and PIN for each profile according to their needs.

In this way, all profile management is in the hands of the user. The admin's role is primarily to determine how many profiles a user can create, leaving the control of the profiles to the user themselves.

Thanks

5 hours ago, iBoss said:

That's why it is different. I don't like creating accounts. Why should users need to contact the admin for this? For example, my brother already has an account, and now he wants an additional account for his kid (8-year-old). Why should he have to call me to create another one? Furthermore, he needs to inform me about the specific restricted content requirements for each child. For example, his 12-year-old needs an account with one set of restrictions, and perhaps later, he'll want to modify those settings. This is just one example, and if you consider my extended family, which comprises more than 20 members, each with unique requirements and account needs, it becomes an impractical task for everyone to call me. I simply don't have the time for this.

Additionally, if I were to provide my brother with four connections, the number of these connections would remain the same even if he has multiple profiles.

I hope my explanation clarifies the issue. The concept of using a PIN for access is a different approach, and to implement it like a profile, the admin would need to field calls from every member to manage their connections and configurations. This would be time-consuming and impractical.

• User Profile Creation: Users should have the ability to create profiles and define the restrictions and PIN for each profile according to their needs.

In this way, all profile management is in the hands of the user. The admin's role is primarily to determine how many profiles a user can create, leaving the control of the profiles to the user themselves.

Thanks

Hi.  Keep in mind that we are supposed to be a personal media server for a single household.  What you are suggesting has quite a few complications in that it requires administrative ability on the part of a user that probably doesn't have that ability defined in your server.

We very well may implement some sort of "sub-user" type system but there are a lot of considerations that go along with that.  Until then, for most people, the new system can work and feel very much like sub-users with the caveat that the administrator does still need to administer all users of his server.

Thanks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Keep in mind that we are supposed to be a personal media server for a single household.  What you are suggesting has quite a few complications in that it requires administrative ability on the part of a user that probably doesn't have that ability defined in your server.

We very well may implement some sort of "sub-user" type system but there are a lot of considerations that go along with that.  Until then, for most people, the new system can work and feel very much like sub-users with the caveat that the administrator does still need to administer all users of his server.

Thanks.

Even though I use this as a personal media server, I always require a password to be entered.  The sub-user would suffice as long as we can control the permissions of each sub-user.  Something like this would be great:

Each user would login with the primary user account, let's say, mostym.  Then they would be greeted with accounts list (similar to NetFlix) and they can select a sub-user similar to the list below, if they want to change the sub-user to a different one, they can click on Change Sub-User from the Emby header navigation.  That would be amazing and save me from having to manage my multiple accounts for each of my family members.

>> Mom
>> Dad
>> Sister
>> Brother

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mostym said:

Something like this would be great:

Hi.  Isn't that functionally the same as what we have now when each of those accounts is remembered on the device?

15 hours ago, mostym said:

and save me from having to manage my multiple accounts for each of my family members

Someone has to manage those accounts because you want the restrictions, visibility and user data tracking on each of them.

It sounds like you are just wanting to farm out some of that administration - which is fine but it creates a complication in implementing this.

This is still a valid request but the moves we are making now will get 90% of the way there for a lot of our users.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Isn't that functionally the same as what we have now when each of those accounts is remembered on the device?

Someone has to manage those accounts because you want the restrictions, visibility and user data tracking on each of them.

It sounds like you are just wanting to farm out some of that administration - which is fine but it creates a complication in implementing this.

This is still a valid request but the moves we are making now will get 90% of the way there for a lot of our users.

Manage which restrictions?! This is only for managing "parental ratings." That's all.

So, if the admin adds restrictions for the main user to view contents rated TV-14, when this user creates a profile, they can only manage parental ratings below TV-14.

Edited by iBoss

2 hours ago, iBoss said:

Manage which restrictions?! This is only for managing "parental ratings." That's all.

So, if the admin adds restrictions for the main user to view contents rated TV-14, when this user creates a profile, they can only manage parental ratings below TV-14.

There are more possibilities than just the parental rating.  There are a lot of user-based options for both visibility and functionality.  Plus you now need a system to allow a user that cannot manage those things to actually manage those things - but only for some users and, as you pointed out, within restrictions set on them as well.  It gets complicated very quickly.

On 10/25/2023 at 6:52 AM, iBoss said:

Thanks

You could give your brother an admin account, so he can create and manage more users. On the same note, "Admin roles" could be more easy to implement. So an "Admin" with rights only to create users but not edit libraries. This is not a feature request, just throwing some ideas here. But if you want a solution now, that's what you can do at the moment.

53 minutes ago, Mibok said:

On the same note, "Admin roles" could be more easy to implement

Role-based or, at least, more granular permissions is something we are wanting to get to as well and may, indeed, be a pre-requisite to this type of sub-user.

• Agree 2

rbjtech
13 hours ago, ebr said:

Role-based or, at least, more granular permissions is something we are wanting to get to as well and may, indeed, be a pre-requisite to this type of sub-user.

Agree 100% - giving a user 'Admin' just so they can manage local accounts is a reverse of the good security progress emby has made over the last few months.   If a new user type of 'Sub Account Admin'  has create/edit sub account user rights with max inherit permissions of their own rights - then that is great - and will then make this FR a reality.        

Personally, I do not see the need for this on a family server - if you do not personally know your users, then this functionality could easily be abused. 

• Agree 5