Playback of movies stopps after a few minutes

DWeiers

Hi there!

I recently switched to Emby and got the server and the apps set up without problems.

Everything is working perfectly when using an iPad or iPhone (tried it on several devices) or when using the webapp.

So far a big thank you for this awesome piece of software!

The only device not working properly with emby is my 4th gen apple tv.

On my apple tv I can open the app, log in and browse everything. I can start playback as well and every movie and/or trailer starts playing normally. The problem is that after a few minutes (I didn't use a stopwatch but it's round about 4 or 5 minutes) the emby app just exits and I am back at the apple tv homescreen. So far I only had this issue with movies not trailers (I use some local trailers and some that get streamed from youtube) but since those trailers usually are not longer than 5 minutes it's most probably only because they just don't run long enough for the error to occur.

After such an exit I can straight away restart the app without problem and it loads up into the apps homescreen, but the problem persits and as soon as I play something the app exits again after 4 or 5 minutes of playback.

I allready tried restarting the app, restarting my apple tv and restarting the emby server. I tried several different movies! I even tried going further into the movie using fastforward (which works flawlessly) but regardless of playback position the app will exit after 4 or 5 minutes of continous playback.

The movies I use are all h264, mp4 movies in a format native to iOS and the apple tv. The video is fullHD or below and working perfectly as well as the audio (be it stereo or dolby digital). So the server doesn't do any transcoding.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated because I really like emby and the way it works on my other devices. But not being able to use it on my normal tv really sucks.

Many thanks in advance

Daniel

Hi.  Can you try something?

Every couple of minutes during playback, interact with the remote in some way - causing the progress bar or information tiles to appear.  Then see if this still happens.

Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I‘ll give it a try as soon as possible (i.e. tomorrow afternoon) and keep you informed.

Okay, I tried it out … but no joy :-(

The exit occurs after 2-3 minutes at exactly the same position as before. I invoked the display every half minute or so but it didn’t seem to have any effect on the problem.

Just to be sure I tried to playback the same movie on my iPad and on the iPad it works flawlessly (even egardless of wether I invoke the display or not).

I realised that during playback on the iPad the status-bar (time/date and WiFi/Battery) in the upper corners stays visible — its nothing serious and doesn’t have to do anything with this problem, just wanted to mention it since it’s a little bit annoying.

The server is on version 3.5.3.0 (just in case if that’s important).

Any ideas on the  TV problem?

Thanks

Are these items transcoding?  Do they produce ffmpeg logs on the server?

Is it possible the server is running out of space in your transcoding-temp location?

As far as I can say there is no transcoding involved. The items are all in native format (means they are natively supported by iOS). In fact one of the reasons i moved to Emby was that emby doesn‘t desperately try to transcode everything (as Plex does). If I access the files directly on the server (e.g. via WebDAV) I can directly play them on my iPad or iPhone. Since an  TV is nothing more than an iOS-Device and tvOS is nothing more than iOS optimised for this device it should run natively on the  TV as well.

How can I check if the server is transcoding? Is there a way to make sure that the server never transcodes? So could I just switch transcoding off completely to make sure it doesn‘t even try transcoding?

The server is a MacMini with 16GB of memory and more than 100 GB of free space on it’s disk. I don‘t think it‘s running out of space.

The movies are not located on the MacMini but on a synology NAS. MacMini, Synology NAS and the  TV are connected via LAN to the same network. The  TV using a 100MBit connection (it can‘t go faster) and the MacMini and NAS using GigabitLAN via a dedicated switch. I don‘t think it‘s a network issue though, because streaming to my iPhone or iPad involves a (naturally not so fast and reliable) WiFi-Connection and is working just fine.

Concerning the server-logs: How do I check if there are any logs created? Is it an option in the server-Dashboard?

Many thanks for the help

I tried to get the logfiles, but i seems to be a little tricky. The file is just too big. On my iPad it just wont load and the browser says there was a problem loading the file. I tried it on the computer, but it’s very slow when trying to search trough it. Is there a way to just download the file? I would gladly post it here but just don’t know how to get it in here? Is there a location where the original log files are saved? So i cloud just copy the whole file from there.

Okay, I finally was able to retrieve the log file for the day when I tested it. But the file is huge (more than 160 MB). So huge that I can‘t even edit it on my iPad with the tools I have at hand right now.

So I used my computer and tried to locate any occurrence of „ffmpeg“. There was none! So 160MB of plain text and not even one occurrence of ffmpeg.

Any ideas?

The  tv is on tvOS 12.1.1 the Emby App is on Version 1.2.1

That seems to be the latest version available on the App Store. How can I get version 1.7?

I just deleted the app from my  tv an reinstalled it from the App Store.

I’m on Version 1.2.14 now but it’s still not working.

And have you tried the latest iOS update, 1.7?

Sorry , I got you wrong in my previous post.

I‘m using the newest version of the app on all my devices (i.e. 1.7 on the iPhone and iPad) and (as before) everything works just fine on those devices. I only have trouble when using my 4th gen. TV (which is on version 1.2.14 of the  TV App).

So, yes I tried version 1.7 on iOS and it works perfectly (as did the previous version). I only have trouble when using the  TV.

You mentioned a beta for the  tv. I’d like to give it a try. How do I do this?

Please send a private message to @@ebr. The app will now have the same video player as the iOS app so the experience should really be the same. Thanks.

I just got the invitation for the beta-version from @@ebr and installed it via the testflight app.

It’s late evening here so I didn’t have time for extensive testing yet. But, of course, I had to give it a try and am very excited and happy to report: It works like a charm!

The movie I tried it with (one of the movies I tried before) played smoothly! No sudden exit anymore. I didn’t have time to watch it completely yet, but I will tomorrow. I will report back should any problem arise.

So, many many thanks for the quick help (even though it was during the holidays). Superb support!

Best regards and a happy new year to all

Daniel