movies and tv shows dimming halfway through

gungatim

gungatim

hi I did a search and all I see is people with black screen problem, that is NOT what I am experiencing.

I have 65" Samsung smart tv with emby ap, it has been working fine until a few days ago. Was watching a tv show and halfway through it got dark, not black, just very dim and hard to see but still watchable. then last night in the middle of Jack Ryan episode it did the same thing.

I checked the files on the computer and they play fine, and play fine on my other TV's with firestick.

I thought my tv died, but menu's and everything else works fine, only occasionally emby playing something it might go dim. (this is after a few hours of watching just fine).

anyone else experience this and is it a emby problem, or tv problem? or is it something when I ripped the dvd's (I own all my content).

Thanks

Samsung - 65" Class - LED - MU6290 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR bought new June of 2018 and Emby ap was from the Samsung smart hub in October/November 2018.

Edited by gungatim

mgworek

Sounds like a problem with the tv, no emby. I have had the same problem while playing the PS4 and Emby before. I had to mess with the remote to get it back to normal. The TV seems to think it's been sitting idle for awhile. It was happening a bunch to me one weekend and then it stopped happening.

Edited by mgworek

gungatim

thanks for the suggestion, I will play around with it and see if there is a sleep mode or something that kicks in.

both times it happened, was watching for a few hrs. fell asleep and woke up to see it was dim, so it had been on a while. I bet you are right and something dims the app.

thanks again, will report back my findings.

FrostByte

I haven't seen this yet.  You could also check to make sure you have the latest firmware for your TV.  Sometimes these types of issues are fixed with firmware.

The latest in the US was just released a couple weeks ago

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-uhd-smart-tv-mu6290

- Version : 1260.6 
- Purpose 
. Improved usability 
. Improved browser performance 
. Improved app performance 
. Improved stability 
. Improved usability of input devices

If you still have the issue maybe post the mediainfo for something which causes the problem

mgworek

I haven't seen this yet.  You could also check to make sure you have the latest firmware for your TV.  Sometimes these types of issues are fixed with firmware.

The latest in the US was just released a couple weeks ago

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/2017-uhd-smart-tv-mu6290

- Version : 1260.6 
- Purpose 
. Improved usability 
. Improved browser performance 
. Improved app performance 
. Improved stability 
. Improved usability of input devices

If you still have the issue maybe post the mediainfo for something which causes the problem

Good thought, that's right around the time I was having the problem and then it stopped working.

gungatim

What version of the app are you running?

which app, the emby server App or the samsung emby App? not sure how to find the samsung app version.

I checked all my settings there is no sleep mode or screensaver enabled.

I checked for firmware updates and none available/says i am up to date.

I replayed the Jack Ryan episode last night and it played just fine. watched another episode and fell asleep, woke up and it was dim again! it's gotta be something with the tv.

when I play the same episodes on my Kodi/raspPi (running off 8tb hard drive, no internet) it will play for days without dimming. 

weird...(wife likes the kodi but I prefer emby so I keep them in sync so she can see where she is at in a series instead of me since I fall behind if that makes sense).

FrostByte

which app, the emby server App or the samsung emby App? not sure how to find the samsung app version.

There are a few ways to tell the version number.  One is by going to your apps section, highlighting the Emby app and then choosing the option "View Details" from the menu.  This will bring you to the Emby store front where you can see both the installed version and the latest version available for your model TV. 

Another way to see the version is to go to the server dashboard while the app is running.  Under Active Devices you should see one for your Samsung TV with the version number listed.  

Edited by FrostByte

• 4 weeks later...
darrenkdean

Ok thanks. Please try again with the next update to the app. This should be resolved. Thanks.

This just started happening on my Samsung UN32J5500AF after the Emby App updated on the TV a couple of nights ago.  I have confirmed that all of the screensaver & power saving settings are turned off.  It seems to happen after 10-15 minutes of play, the screen goes very dark.  When I pause the show, the Emby settings appear bright, just the rendering of the content appears very dark.

I have just deleted the Emby App from the TV's memory & subsequently reinstalled the Emby App.  We will see if that fixes it.  Emp App version 1.0.54.

Side note: I have this same TV model in 5 rooms & we have been using the native Emby App with no problems on them for about a year now.  If this doesn't fix it, I will test the others tomorrow.

gungatim

I should have posted my fix, maybe it will help you. the Samsung has a bunch of different power saving/screensaver options. I THOUGHT mine were all off, but there is one separate setting called Eco-settings or something called an ECO sensor which dims the screen with a combination of movement and ambient light. look for that, once I disabled that I haven't had a problem since.

• Like 1

I should have posted my fix, maybe it will help you. the Samsung has a bunch of different power saving/screensaver options. I THOUGHT mine were all off, but there is one separate setting called Eco-settings or something called an ECO sensor which dims the screen with a combination of movement and ambient light. look for that, once I disabled that I haven't had a problem since.

Great, thanks !

My samsung tv started doing the random dimming in the middle of video playback today.  I'm running 1.0.45 of the samsung emby home theater.  I checked all powersavings/eco settings and everything is disabled.  Is there anything else I could try?  I've been using the samsung emby app for a few months and this has never happened.