Can't play any video

AmericanMike

AmericanMike

I have tried some more testing by moving my RokuExpress to a higher def TV and used the HDMI cable instead of the composite cable but the issue followed.  Also tried to raise the video quality but to no avail.  Problem is consistent.  When I used my Roku 3 and lowered the screen resolution I could not duplicate the issue.

RokuExpress must have some inherent different in how it processes video.  May be more of a Roku firmware issue but don't know enough to confirm........just speculate.

Thoughts?

what is the resolution of the TV? Let's try a simple test. Can you add this mp4 to your library:

http://techslides.com/demos/sample-videos/small.mp4

This really should direct play without any trouble. Please try that on the Roku express. Thanks.

AmericanMike

what is the resolution of the TV? Let's try a simple test. Can you add this mp4 to your library:  

http://techslides.com/demos/sample-videos/small.mp4

This really should direct play without any trouble. Please try that on the Roku express. Thanks.

Thanks Luke that one did play with no issue.  The resolution of the TV is 720p

AmericanMike

yes, thought I had mentioned before but maybe not.  I have the collection of Married....with Children that is lower resolution and it plays okay.  Anything else above 480p does not play anymore.  That includes any recorded TV, Live TV and movies.

So then do you have any other videos that will play?

Ok, i am guessing there is some special consideration we have to apply for the Roku express that we're just not aware of yet. Thanks.

AmericanMike

Appears so.  It just started with this latest firmware update.  

Let me know if I can assist in any way through testing, logs or whatever.

Ok, i am guessing there is some special consideration we have to apply for the Roku express that we're just not aware of yet. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
AmericanMike

I'm sure you guys are already aware but wanted to confirm with you that the Server update to 4.0.1 seems to have resolved this issue.  I may have a new problem now, but will open a fresh topic after some testing.

Thanks all.