Can't play any video

AmericanMike

AmericanMike

Hello All,

I have a Roku Express that started to behave badly after receiving the Roku 8.0 firmware upgrade and now really has problems since I received the 9.0 upgrade a few days ago.  I cannot get Emby to play any video at all now.  I tried dialing down the resolution even as low at 480p but still nothing will play.  I just submitted a log from the application as well as the logs below.  

I have Roku 3's that are working just fine so it is limited to just this model.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-5b271cdf-b6a5-4447-a6bf-04c6999c3f1c.txt

AmericanMike

Hi, this is Live TV. Can we start with a simpler example first based on a regular video file? Thanks.

here I tried to play a file I had recorded earlier.  I confirmed it played okay on my other devices.  Also tried an older TV show that I had archived.

ffmpeg-remux-2806fdc7-2dd7-4b2c-af85-2f17a40f259e.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-6061f00e-3c5c-43ae-a610-ecf84af7af0e.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-007467c4-1d1a-4b64-afce-de5f5072e3f0.txt

ffmpeg-remux-2806fdc7-2dd7-4b2c-af85-2f17a40f259e.txt

embyserver.txt

AmericanMike

to add to this I tried changing video quality back to Auto and the streaming worked but the picture was distorted and appeared to have a zoomed look.  The dashboard showed I was direct streaming and  I have attached the latest logs of when I did this.  Hope this adds value.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-0ee8abe1-a181-4265-8f25-61ebbd896c25.txt

Happy2Play

to add to this I tried changing video quality back to Auto and the streaming worked but the picture was distorted and appeared to have a zoomed look.  The dashboard showed I was direct streaming and  I have attached the latest logs of when I did this.  Hope this adds value.

This sounds like what is discussed here.  Appears to be the same model also.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66677-live-tv-size-on-old-roku/

Sorry this is still an issue. Sometimes it is Roku firmware issues we have to work around and this is one of those times.

If you use the Playback Correction button in the playback menu of the OSD you can likely correct this. Using it once should force a full transcode if it is already remux/directstream-ing. This might/should correct the issue.

Edited by speechles

AmericanCrisis

I think I know what's going on for remote clients but am not at home to push logs. Roku client devices are telling the server to direct stream and not transcode. No matter the setting on the Roku's Emby channel, it still is requesting a direct stream. I have a bandwidth limit set on the server in addition to the the Roku Emby channel limited to 3mbps (was at clients house today testing)... I tried a movie that I'd previously encoded down to a 2mbps bitrate that plays fine. Full BD bitrate are obviously to big to not transcode. This might be isolated to my server but I speculate its not. I have 3 clients now asking whiskey tango!

I think I know what's going on for remote clients but am not at home to push logs. Roku client devices are telling the server to direct stream and not transcode. No matter the setting on the Roku's Emby channel, it still is requesting a direct stream. I have a bandwidth limit set on the server in addition to the the Roku Emby channel limited to 3mbps (was at clients house today testing)... I tried a movie that I'd previously encoded down to a 2mbps bitrate that plays fine. Full BD bitrate are obviously to big to not transcode. This might be isolated to my server but I speculate its not. I have 3 clients now asking whiskey tango!

His addresses are all LAN addresses so it's not related to remote playback. Please open a new topic and attach the specifics of an example, and we'll be happy to help. Thanks !

AmericanCrisis

Luke I highly doubt it is a different issue. His Roku express probably cannot direct stream/play most full bitrate content. It probably has to transcode and based on everyone's posts in this thread it doesn't appear to be forcing a transcode (just like with my clients).

Edit: remote or local... It's not forcing a transcode.

Edited by AmericanCrisis

Luke I highly doubt it is a different issue. His Roku express probably cannot direct stream/play most full bitrate content. It probably has to transcode and based on everyone's posts in this thread it doesn't appear to be forcing a transcode (just like with my clients).

Edit: remote or local... It's not forcing a transcode.

In this topic we have log examples of both transcodes and remuxes. Please see how to report a media playback issue and we'll be happy to help you with yours. Thanks.

AmericanCrisis

Perhaps it is a different issue; however, I doubt it is a coincidence my issue started the same day his issue started. Frankly, I don't have time to extract logs, then troubleshoot problems that usually lead me in circles with the developers. I'd prefer the product I pay for to just work. Somebody, somewhere, will post the same problem and it'll probably get fixed until the next problem arises. I'll let them waste the time... But I'm good... Thanks!

AmericanMike

And you're able to play live tv in the web app, correct?

I was but not now locally, but remote seems to be okay.  AND I do see on the dashboard that it is pushing a direct stream to my Roku not transcoding no matter how low I set the bit rate.  Live TV and recordings are not effected in my Roku 3's.

Edited by AmericanMike

Yeah I am in the process of going over the fallback code and quality code. I can give more insight after I make sure there are no issues.

@@AmericanMike

Are you absolutely positive the user has transcoding permission on the Emby Server?

Are these recordings in-progress and did you enable the "Direct Stream Live TV" option in the Settings on the Emby Roku app?

Edited by speechles

@@AmericanMike

Are you absolutely positive the user has transcoding permission on the Emby Server?

Are these recordings in-progress and did you enable the "Direct Stream Live TV" option in the Settings on the Emby Roku app?

Yes, this is confirmed at the top of the ffmpeg log.

• 2 weeks later...
AmericanMike

Hey Folks, Happy New Year!!

I've been away a few weeks but got home yesterday and want to resurrect this.  Any update code review?