(Failing to) manage lots of SATA cables

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

I have a typical mid tower desktop with a separate cable management area (right side, back of the mobo).

With a raid expansion 4 ports card, I am just one shy of using all 10 SATA ports.

As you can imagine, all those data and power cables are an awful mess right now, especially the back of the hard drives.

Right side panel re-installs are a challenge,having to safely compress this clump of wires to within an inch thick.

As a bonus smaller mess, my SATA expansion card has 2 ports pointing to the front of the case, and 2 pointing left (at me when staring inside the tower).

My concern is specific to SATA data/pwr cables (time 10).

Any tips. suggestions, references, pictures/vid are eagerly welcomed.

Thanks in advance ;)

CharleyVarrick

:D  Funny, as I was youtubing on the SATA mgmt. subject earlier, this one came up, which I partly viewed then bookmarked. 

He tosses the better of 350$ in cables and wires into one pc... I wish I had the same sponsors . . . :rolleyes:

Keep em coming !

################### Edit #######################

Found this one, at 6:15 in, you're getting a good idea of what I'm staring at :ph34r:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuMkFLoXMeI

Edited by jlr19

Heeeeeere's Linus!

I was literally about to post this same link in this thread! Haha!

Linus is the man!...And a fellow Canadian!

CharleyVarrick

I was literally about to post this same link in this thread! Haha!

Linus is the man!...And a fellow Canadian!

LOL you just did :D

When I said keep em coming, I didn't mean the same one over... :lol: :P :D

How did you guess I was a fellow? Not my avatar, not my signature, could it be my je ne sais quoi. B)

• 3 weeks later...
ginjaninja

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/full-tower/cosmos-2/

9 drives in a mid tower sounds like a squash..

this case presents 11 hdd's sata data and power connectors on the easily accessible backside for easy cable management. a better foundation perhaps at a cost..

but when you compare to the price bloat,performance, quietness, temps of an off the shelf nas its better value imo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

KMBanana

Saw one build a while ago use a neat trick, each alternating drives would be upside down.  Keeps all your Sata and power connections from being so close together.  Rough example of what I mean, with PPP being the power connection and DD being the Sata data connection.  

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

Edited by KMBanana

rbjtech

Saw one build a while ago use a neat trick, each alternating drives would be upside down.  Keeps all your Sata and power connections from being so close together.  Rough example of what I mean, with PPP being the power connection and DD being the Sata data connection.  

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

[########PPPDD]

[DDPPP########]

Probably not a great idea tbh as you will have the heat source (the motor & disk platters) facing each other and depending how dense the drives are, cooling may become a problem.

As custom solutions - There are a lot of 5 x 3.5" HDD style housings on ebay etc (that use 3 x 5.25" bays) - some with caddy/quick release housings, others fixed - these allow you to use 5 x 3.5" drives on their sides and this makes the maximum use of the case width.  Most have cooling fans built in. (*)     

As my offline backup server - I have 3 of the fixed housings (so 15 x 3.5" drives..) in a midi-style case but make sure your case is designed for this with open 5.25" slots, as most are not.

Cabling is a matter of pigglebacking the power leads (annoyingly, they seem to come in banks of 4, not 5) to match the above drive bays ..  :mellow:  . 

For this many drives, you most likely have a SAS or RAID controller anyway with dedicated cables, but as long as the cables are cable tied flat together, then it's usually workable.

NAS drives are great - but for this many drives, they are extremely expensive imo and of course not expandable.

(*) as a side note, I always blow air over the drives from inside the case and directly OUT - ie I reverse the fans on the drive bay units.

My example below - 15 x 3.5" HDD's quick release (caddy) using 3 x cheap(ish) 5 x 3.5"HDD adapters in a cheap Midi Case  :D

5c30ed3966570_20190105_173654Small.jpg

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

@@rbjtech

An additional reason for not having drives alternate upside up/down is it spaces out even more those same cable I'm trying to manage in the 1st place.

What are we looking at in the pic ? (make/model)

rbjtech

Hi - It's just a no-name midi case with 9 x 5.25" bays so I could fit 3 of these in ..  :D

https://www.xcase.co.uk/collections/storage-caddy/products/fatcage-mb155sp-b-5-bay-ez-tray-3-5-sata-hard-drive-hot-swap-backplane-cage-in-3x-external-5-25-bay

(I have the older SATA2 model as shown in my pic but perfectly fine for Media duties - from memory, they were also a lot cheaper than the SATA3 version above ..)

legallink

LOL you just did :D

When I said keep em coming, I didn't mean the same one over... :lol: :P :D

How did you guess I was a fellow? Not my avatar, not my signature, could it be my je ne sais quoi. B)

I think you should look under your pic/avatar on your posts. It gives a canuck location.  But we always do love a little je ne sais quoi.  I mean who doesn't except those that just don't know!

legallink

Related to topic, I have found that cable management is highly case related.  Outside of zip ties and sleeving, it's all about how the discs are put in the case.  I have a Node 804, with 10 drives and cable management hasn't been that bad.  But I've had others where I couldn't get anything that didn't look like a rats nest.