Nvidia Shield TV- Playback will pause constantly

BeRealBud

nyplayer

@edsanchez07 ,

Those are the hardest to fix works for some but not all. Last night it was always pausing got the update a while ago and it works fine.

Edited by nyplayer

mikeB2210

The newest Beta doesn‘t fix the problem for me :-((

Watching one episode of Game of Thrones without a problem, next episode Emby freezes after 7 min.

Okay.  There is still obviously a fundamental problem in the firmware here.  Was just hoping my adjustments would have a positive impact.  Perhaps they do in some situations or, perhaps, that was just coincidence.

Jdiesel

I'm curious if anyone who is experiencing this has tried or is willing to try a factory reset on their Shield TV. 

CBers

I'm curious if anyone who is experiencing this has tried or is willing to try a factory reset on their Shield TV.

And why isn't it affecting everyone?

CBers

I believe someone even posted that it wasn't even affecting all Shield TVs located in the same house

Edit:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66681-nvidia-shield-tv-playback-will-pause-constantly/?view=findpost&p=668701

Very strange.

I also have 3 Shields and none exhibit this issue.

I wonder if it is to do with the end device, TV or receiver?

Okay.  There is still obviously a fundamental problem in the firmware here.  Was just hoping my adjustments would have a positive impact.  Perhaps they do in some situations or, perhaps, that was just coincidence.

Day 2 since the update and still not one freeze.

Own server, running Emby in Docker. Bandwidth no Problem

Strictly out of curiosity here, which version of the server are you running? I was on 3.6.0.86 last night and updated today to 4.0.0.2. Possibly a combination of the newer server build and the beta android app is why it's working for me? *shrugs*

I was on the Emby beta docker server but switched back to latest stable docker 4.0.0.2 two days ago and see the issue in both, there's no difference between them, the same version number too.

It's definitely the Shield, I have a MiBox that also runs Android TV that has no issues

Edited by colfin22

I was on 3.5.3, this random pausing started with Shield firmware 7.2 for me.

I own my server and my Shield is connected on a yahama receiver. The strange thing is that I see this behavior on low bitrate media. I can watch the latest transformer in 4k hdr (remux) with hd audio no problem and then watch a hevc 1080p (2mbps) with aac 5.1 and experiencing few pauses.

Just had my first freeze since switching to beta. Just sent the log a few minutes ago.

The Orville S02E04

Video Codec H264 3.4Mbps

Audio Codec: AAC (direct) 192kbps

Server log attached. 

Device log also sent to NVIDIA referencing the support code they issued me

Log.txt

D34DC3N73R

I'm also wondering if people are really on 7.2 still. If so, there should be an update available. Shield experience is now at 7.2.2

Handl3vogn

I'm also wondering if people are really on 7.2 still. If so, there should be an update available. Shield experience is now at 7.2.2

I'm on 7.2.2 but problems started when 7.2 was released Edited by Handl3vogn

I thought I'd chime in here. Like above mine started pausing/freezing from the 7.2 update onwards. I use Baconfeet and another Emby service and both have the same problem. No luck with direct play and even 10Mbit/sec pauses but anything below 5Mbit/sec plays smoothly. I have a Plex service which works flawlessly even at 4k so definitely not a speed problem.

IMO it's 100% a Shield firmware problem because I even installed an Emby version from August last year which made no difference.

Some0guy0

That's a transcode, most here including myself said we had no problems with transcodes, it's direct play we've issues with. Try direct play

I was having this problem with transcodes, couldn't even play anything above 2mbps. After installing the beta I'm not having freezing issues so far.

Awesome. Thanks. This has worked for me so far for the past 2 days. I force stopped the app, cleared the cache and data, restarted the shield and finally reinstalled the app.

FWIW, I've had issues with my shield after updating to 7.2. Seems something goes wrong when "updating/optimizing" apps after an upgrade. Uninstalling the app, doing a restart on the shield and reinstalling the app worked in my case.

Edited by Fallguy

I just cleared cache and data, uninstalled and reinstalled the Emby beta app and now I'm back to having downmix issues like I was having previously with the previous beta. Something is really messed up

BeRealBud

The only way I can successfully watch a video fully through is by selecting Playback Correction, I'm guessing that forces the playback to transcode. Can we get a temporary Band-Aid until Nvidia figurs out their firmware issue or you guys can pinpoint where all this havoc is coming from after the 7.2 update? Can you guys give us the option to enable force transcoding or whatever Playback Correction does as a remedy for now?

Edited by BeRealBud

Awesome. Thanks. This has worked for me so far for the past 2 days. I force stopped the app, cleared the cache and data, restarted the shield and finally reinstalled the app.

This sounds promising.  Everyone with this issue should try that procedure. BE SURE you re-start the Shield between uninstalling and re-installing the app.

This sounds promising.  Everyone with this issue should try that procedure. BE SURE you re-start the Shield between uninstalling and re-installing the app.

Didn't work for me, in fact it reintroduced the downmix issue I had with the previous beta. I'm going to try going back to stable shortly to see if it fixes it.

Didn't work for me, in fact it reintroduced the downmix issue I had with the previous beta. I'm going to try going back to stable shortly to see if it fixes it.

Did you do the restart of the device between?

Also, what you are describing as a problem for you sounds like simply a setting that got changed back to defaults on the reinstall.