Live TV size on old Roku

Dilbert

I have an older Roku using two HDHomerun tuners with Emby for live TV.  On this Roku the video size is too big, it looks like the video is zoomed in 2X or 4X.  Live TV through Emby is working fine on two other Rokus I have so I am pretty sure it is this Roku.  I am just wondering if there any settings I have not found yet that I can try before replacing the Roku?

The TV supports 720P or 1080i video and I have the TV and Roku both set to 720P instead of letting them auto-select.  I can stream movies to this Roku through Emby and it does not have the problem, only with Live and Recorded TV.

Let me know if these were the correct files to attach.

I moved the Roku to another TV that had a working Roku, and the problem followed this Roku to the other TV.  Since it must be this specific Roku I just plan to replace it, but thanks for looking at it.

Jeff

Update - I found that I have a second Roku where some of the channels are not working.  Some of them work on the second and I had not checked one of the broken channels before.  The two Rokus are older models while I have a third (the Premiere+ 4630x) is working fine on the channels that do not work on the other two.  All three are on the same wireless and connecting back to my one Emby server installation.

Should I try one of the experimental hardware acceleration transcoding settings?  The computer has an Intel i7 4790k but hardware acceleration is set to None in Emby.  Thanks.

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-remux-2612eb7e-52bf-4a53-b865-8a0ef6385f1f.txt

Edited by Dilbert

I notice in this log it is stream copying the original video. As a test, what if you lower the in-app quality setting to force a full transcode on the server? How does that compare?

What Roku model and firmware verison is the one that isn't working?

It might not be able to downscale. In which case you are likely better off choosing 1080p as your Display Type if the TV can support it. This is likely a 1080i stream being fed to the older Roku which cannot downscale. We assume all Roku can downscale and just pass the stream to give you direct play. In doing this we expect the Roku to correct the scaling. In your case it seems it isn't and might be because you have set the Display Type of that Roku to 720p. Just as a test can you try 1080p and let us know if this works. Thanks and have a happy holidays . :)

Edited by speechles

Luke, Speechles,

The two older Rokus are both model 3900x.

In the Emby Roku app I first tried turning on 'direct stream live TV' since it was off by default.  It helped get rid of some stuttering in the picture but the size was still wrong.  Both the TVs and Rokus were originally on Auto, but I had tried forcing the resolution on both to 1080P and to 720P also.

In the Roku apps I then changed the video quality from Auto to 720P at 4Mbps and it fixed both TVs.  I also tried 720P at 10Mbps and those are fine on both.  When I tried 1080P at 10Mbps the oldest TV (a Philips) had the original problem but my newer LG still worked.  It was only when I tried 1080P at 60Mbps that it failed.  On these Rokus as long as I force them to 10Mbps or less they should work.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

So that sounds like when we do a full transcode by converting the video on the server, it works.

But when we stream copy the original video and let Roku play it as-is, it does not. Unfortunately this is starting to look like a Roku platform defect.