Is there no player for Mac?

achanakbhayank

achanakbhayank

I've replaced PLEX with Emby on my NAS box and I've been nothing short of pleased. I stream from my server using my Roku and the Emby app. However, I went looking for an app to stream from my server on my daughter's Macbook, and I don't seem to see any. Is this so? Is there a way I can get the Mac Emby server to read from my NAS?

Edited by Luke

• 1 month later...
RobbyBobby

Just my opinion, but the Mac deserves a desktop Player.

I run a Plex server with two libaries (TV Show Recordings and Movie Recordings) that point at the Emby TV recording libraries of the same name and type. Generally speaking I don’t watch my ripped TV Shows or Movies or listen to audiobooks or music on my Mac, I reserve that for my Apple TV and the big screen and comfy chair in the lounge, or indeed my iPads or iPhone.

The point is that I use the Mac Plex Desktop Player connected to my Plex server, pointed at the Emby TV recordings, to watch TV recordings on my Mac!

I admit it’s somewhat overkill, but the Plex server is doing no real work. So running two servers causes no impact at all. The fact is that I find the Plex Desktop Player a million times better then watching Emby recordings in a web browser and this is my solution to the missing Emby player ‘problem’.

RobbyBobby

Thanks, Luke. I hope you guys will get round to it one day. In the meantime Plex lives quite comfortably sharing Emby Libraries (and vice versa).

• 11 months later...
Killerfidelity

bump: any update? I'd really like to have direct streaming on mac... would it be possible to port the ios app with catalyst?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
RobbyBobby

I’ve waited for this for a long, long time. Will definitely download and try in the morning.

If all goes well, I can then remove Plex Player and server on my Mac.

Good job, guys. 

Sorry; launch VLC on the Mac on which the client is running. I assume we'd need to install the command-line VLC, but maybe there's a way to provide the content URL to the GUI version.

Ok currently there's no external player feature in the mac app. It's possible for the future though as other platforms have it.

RobbyBobby

Been using this on my Mac Mini server and aside from one crash, it's worked well. Only one niggle and that pertains to the general font size everywhere. It's definitely smaller than the default font size in Safari. The Display > Display mode setting for Mobile / Tablet and Desktop appear to be the same small size.

Any suggesions?

5 hours ago, RobbyBobby said:

Been using this on my Mac Mini server and aside from one crash, it's worked well. Only one niggle and that pertains to the general font size everywhere. It's definitely smaller than the default font size in Safari. The Display > Display mode setting for Mobile / Tablet and Desktop appear to be the same small size.

Any suggesions?

On my macbook they look about the same but we'll look into it. Thanks for reporting.

RobbyBobby

Thanks, Luke. Maybe it's a Retina thing? On my Mini I've only a 2 x 1080p screens.

Just for reference, here's a screengrab from Safari (top) and the Emby (bottom) app.

Safari.png

Emby.png