Upload content via dashboard

MPG Radio

MPG Radio

This feature is not there. I have magically made this image to demonstrate what I was thinking and you have asked.

Knowing this, in EMBY you can "point" to a folder group that is located on a local server. This folder or folders contain video that is launched by the software.

This tool is found in the dashboard when setting up EMBY (by clicking on "add media library") this option allows you to make a decision to where the media is located.

My question was "is there future plans to add a feature to upload (video files) through this dashboard but only logged in as a administrator?

It is easy enough to code up a external up-loader to accomplish this task but part of EMBY as a feature would be convenient.

Also I may not be asking the appropriate community. Thank you  for your time.

Have you tried the auto organization feature in the dashboard.

There you could monitor a folder where you rip your disks or other unsavory way of media aquisition.

From there the media shows in a list, where you can identify it as type and search it's metatdata. Then upload it to selected folders.

Might be just be the droids you are looking for.

Edited by chef

MPG Radio

That might be, thank you and yes I have a pile of dvds to convert so this might work....

At the risk of sounding silly, I dont see....auto organization in the dashboard...:(

thank you Obi Wan.....

Hi.  If you are just ripping DVDs, all you need to do is rip them to the location you defined for your library and the server will pick them up...

I do highly suggest converting to MKV or MP4.  Do not do straight video_ts rips.

MPG Radio

Yes, but i my case i'm a bit lazy and work from a notebook...carry that around everywhere, lol but i get it, file sharing etc on the local network.

Thanks gentleman.

You could also run an FTP server on your machine and use FTP or web browser to upload via the FTP server.  This would be for "off net" access for the most part.

• Like 1

laie_techie

You could also run an FTP server on your machine and use FTP or web browser to upload via the FTP server.  This would be for "off net" access for the most part.

Please do NOT run an FTP server as FTP is plain text. Instead, run an SSH server so all traffic will be encrypted.

• 2 years later...
Guest DylanDane

This doesn’t seem to have been answered. There should be upload functionality built into the apps and the web interface that saves videos to the same directory/folders that is accomplished by logging in to the server and transferring the files manually.

I’m mot sure what all the pushback is for and why it’s been asked multiple times over several years.

I don’t know anyone that doesn’t have dozens upon dozens of video clips on flash drives, old computers, old phones, and old memory cards of birthdays, kids building snowmen, holidays, that they don’t want cluttering up the Photos app on their phones. To have a media management software that doesn’t have a dead simple way to MANAGE YOUR MEDIA is ludicrous.

And stop with the innuendo “oh, you must be pirating movies”.

First of all, ripping a DVD is still a felony whether you bought it or not.

Second, you built and CHARGE EXTRA to use a plug-in specifically created to allow users to pirate cable signal.

The feature request is easy to understand. A button that says “upload” somewhere in the mobile apps and the web interface. When you click it on your mobile, it opens the iOS dialog box asking where the file(s) are located; photos or browse for the files app/iCloud Drive. Similar functionality for the web app.

7 minutes ago, DylanDane said:

Second, you built and CHARGE EXTRA to use a plug-in specifically created to allow users to pirate cable signal.

Hi.  What plugin is that?

8 minutes ago, DylanDane said:

The feature request is easy to understand

Yes, it is easy to understand but not quite as easy to implement - properly.  There are a myriad of issues involved including policy issues with the app stores so it is far from a simple request.  Something like this is possible for the future but the demand isn't such that it has made it to the top of our list to figure out all of those issues yet.  The vast majority of our users manage their files via other means.

Thanks.

Yea I wouldn't' say there's been much pushback to this, but there also hasn't been as many users saying they want this compared to other things.

• 2 weeks later...
laie_techie

I still think media files are generally too big to directly upload through Emby. Use sftp (ftp over ssh) or webdav. Shoot, since is talking local network only, why not set up an SMB share?

To me personally I don't see the need to have upload built into Emby.
An admin should always have access to the actual file system regardless if the server is local or remotely hosted.
That allows you to choose the backend tool you wish to use.

For most people with local servers (majority) the typical OS tools like File Manager are perfect for the job.
For remote servers there is a lot of methods to use from a private VPN where you can continue to use file system tools and mapped drives to FTP/SFTP (ftp via VPN), to webdav or SSH and a tool like WinSCP. That's just scratching the surface of possibilities.

It really just doesn't make sense to build this into Emby Server when there are many advanced options anyone can already deploy.

Edited by cayars
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I too would like this feature

My use case is that I run a club and want an easy way for members to share videos with other members and make the videos available for use on our social media feeds. Having to get them to install an sftp client so that they can submit content is just confusing for them

• 2 weeks later...
Sirbyteme

I would also like this.

My case is that I use emby only for my family and none of my kids live with me nor have large storage devices.
We want a central storage for photos that I can manage and backup.
They (being millennials) want an easy to use, in-client upload method to put the files they have chosen on the server.
They are using iPhones, android phones/tablets and Windows PC's.
They don't want to use the "Camera Upload" feature because it is too much of all or nothing. (Which BTW works great for me, thank you.)

They want to be able to open the app, click "Upload" in a particular Library (or maybe even make a new library), and have their gallery app open to pick and choose the appropriate pics (not the ones of them drunk at the bar on top of the tables 🤣.)

This is the functionality that these kids expect these days (Same as posting to social media).
It seems pretty reasonable to me as long as we have sufficient management/security functions to go along with it.

Thanks for everything Luke!

🙂🙏👍🖖

Happy2Play
On 3/11/2023 at 8:30 AM, Sirbyteme said:

They are using iPhones, android phones/tablets and Windows PC's.
They don't want to use the "Camera Upload" feature because it is too much of all or nothing. (Which BTW works great for me, thank you.)

They want to be able to open the app, click "Upload" in a particular Library (or maybe even make a new library), and have their gallery app open to pick and choose the appropriate pics (not the ones of them drunk at the bar on top of the tables 🤣.)

Not entirely true as it depends on the option selected when option was enabled.  If selective upload is selected, you get a pop up every time you launch the app at least I know it does on the iOS app.  Uninstall app and reinstall to reset the options if already adding entire camera roll.

image.jpeg.39bfb2ba9ec14719a9b0dc04ed32255f.jpeg

Sirbyteme

Thanks.

That may work for one of my people but the rest are Android (which definitely does not have that - I tried uninstalling/reinstalling), or Windows.

Would love to this working for them.

🙂