Budget Ryzen 5 Server Build

rene.teniere

rene.teniere

Just a note to cap this topic off that I managed to get an open-box Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 for my boot (and transcoding) drive for $160 cdn +%15 HST (yes we pay a lot of sales tax here in Nova Scotia). I can boot up fully in around 20 seconds thanks to the 4 lanes PCI Ex. No issues or slowdowns transcoding either.

Here is the final rundown:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU
  • ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 MicroATX MB
  • Team T-Force Vulcan 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2
  • Cooler Master MB500 w/ Corsair SF450 PSU
  • Plus various adapters, cable extensions and doodads...
  • Like 2

legallink

Just a note to cap this topic off that I managed to get an open-box Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2 for my boot (and transcoding) drive for $160 cdn +%15 HST (yes we pay a lot of sales tax here in Nova Scotia). I can boot up fully in around 20 seconds thanks to the 4 lanes PCI Ex. No issues or slowdowns transcoding either.

Here is the final rundown:

• AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU
  • ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4 MicroATX MB
  • Team T-Force Vulcan 2 x 8GB DDR4 3000
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2
  • Cooler Master MB500 w/ Corsair SF450 PSU
  • Plus various adapters, cable extensions and doodads...

Not so dissimilar from my build.

I've got the following:

• AMD 2400g
  • 16GB RAM DDR3200 GSKILL (I think that's teh brand)
  • Asus TUF B450M Micro ATX Board
  • Samsung 840 Pro and 850 EVO (OS Drive and Transcoding/Cache Drive)
  • 2x HGST 8TB
  • 6x WD RED 3TB
  • Node 804

I'm usually only serving up somewhere between 3 and 4 streams at a time, and never a hiccup.  Sometimes there are more, but that is rare.  Can easily transcode 3-4 at a time for 1080p files.  Haven't really tested it with more, but I probably should.

rene.teniere

Wish I had that much HD storage... Would like to get 3 more 6tb WD Reds in a RAID 5 config for redundancy. Prices should be down more by September around my birthday...

• 2 weeks later...
lightsout

Old post but are you using the CPU or the GPU(vega graphics in the cpu) to do the transcoding?

Not so dissimilar from my build.

I've got the following:

• AMD 2400g
  • 16GB RAM DDR3200 GSKILL (I think that's teh brand)
  • Asus TUF B450M Micro ATX Board
  • Samsung 840 Pro and 850 EVO (OS Drive and Transcoding/Cache Drive)
  • 2x HGST 8TB
  • 6x WD RED 3TB
  • Node 804

I'm usually only serving up somewhere between 3 and 4 streams at a time, and never a hiccup.  Sometimes there are more, but that is rare.  Can easily transcode 3-4 at a time for 1080p files.  Haven't really tested it with more, but I probably should.

lightsout

I use the CPU in mine...

Have you found that it is better than offloading to the gpu? Seems like it would free up resources. Is that option available in emby with AMD? (Assuming you are premium)

rene.teniere

Not sure. Heard it is complicated to set up with the ryzen. More than enough CPU to handle the work. Keep in mind that your transcoding drive is going to limit you, that’s why I have the Samsung 970 EVO. Insanely quick!

lightsout

Not sure. Heard it is complicated to set up with the ryzen. More than enough CPU to handle the work. Keep in mind that your transcoding drive is going to limit you, that’s why I have the Samsung 970 EVO. Insanely quick!

For sure I haven't run any software off of a mechanical drive in years. Painful!

• 1 month later...

Good info here,trying to decide between the Intel i3 8100 or AMD 2200g/2400g  packages myself for my backup server.

Or if I just should wait to see what Ryzen 3 brings to the table.