HELP-Nothing plays back! New User

Bill Mini

Bill Mini

I am a new user, my server is located on a Mac Mini with 2 attached media drives. I have set up Emby to access the my media files, movies ripped to MKV files, 1080p resolution. Emby has constructed my library fine, however I do not get playback on any device in the house, from Roku to Nvidia Shield. I get the playback screen and the dialog is simply "retrieving". However, it never plays back. I have been using this server with Plex for a number of years without issue. Internet in my house is at least 100mbs. Not understanding what is the problem. I have even  turned video playback to its minimum quality setting-nothing. Default settings everywhere else. Any thoughts?

thanks

Bill 

Bill Mini

Thanks, but that did not seem to work, although, I can now get playback on my iPad. Strangely, limited to 1 minute since it does not recognize my "paid" status. Problems all around at this point. If you can think of anything else I'd love to try it.

thanks

Bill Mini

I downloaded the zip file, and then took the dezipped Emby server and put that into my applications folder. However, this was done AFTER I had opened the server when it was on my desktop. Should I try to uninstall the server and start from scratch?

Bill Mini

Update

I have now uninstalled and then reinstalled the Emby Server in the proper manner, I now get playback. Thanks you so much. I still cannot get the server to recognize that I paid for the Premiere Service. I have pasted my serial # in the appropriate space and the system says OK, but I still am unable to get beyond the 1 minute limit in playback on my iPad. I'll work on it, but if you any thoughts about this, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bill Mini

Luke

As I mentioned, I am now getting playback on my various devices and also am able to now access playback within an iPad with no time constriction. My next hurdle is figuring out how to use Live TV and DNR service. I have an HDHomerun tuner and am ble to access this and playback my over the air channels. But I cannot figure out how to set up the program guide so I can record. Is there a tutorial or something that show how to get a program guide from the 2 services that work with Emby? Does my Premiere membership also include guide info or do I need to pay for this service as well? I have tried both but so far no program info has downloaded. I need a link to a tutorial.

Bill Mini

I have been trying to load the program guide all day, nothing working so far. I have setup an account in Schedule Direct to load antenna information but Emby does not recognize it properly, giving me an error message about incorrect information, however on the Schedule site all looks good. Thoughts?

Bill Mini

United States__ this the message--- ALERT "there was an error downloading TV lineups' Please insure your info is correct and try again".

My info inside of Schedule Direct is simple, I am asked to pick a software from a list of about 50 or so, I pick ONE. I put in my zip code and find the service I need (antenna over the air) not sure what else I am supposed to do to Fix the error suggesting my info is incorrect.

Edited by Bill Mini

Bill Mini

Still in need of help. I am transitioning from Plex to Emby, and really like the service but I cannot get this TV schedule to load. Is there an alternative to Schedule Direct (that seems to work for everyone but me)? XMLTV, how does that work?? Sorry to be a nuisance, I have really tried to get this working. I see that an update is on the horizon that will take care of this necessity to use a third party for schedules, when is that coming out?

Bill Mini

UPDATE- It is now working!! I had a bad username in my Schedule Direct account. User error as always. Thanks for your patience.

Bill Mini

Luke

I still seem to have 1 more hurdle, how to record. While I have been able to now get my local channel listings, and am able to set up to record a series or a single show, these recordings do not show up anywhere that I can find. I have set up a location on my server to record to but they are not recording. Does "Next PVR" need to be installed? What does this software do? I had it installed but it did not seem to be of any help so I uninstalled it. My recording needs are very basic , 1 or 2 news shows a day, so, no need for anything complex. All is working great now BUT the recording part. Thoughts?

thanks

Nothing needs to be installed. The server will auto create a recordings library and put them in there. Did it create one?

Was Emby Server running at the time the recording was supposed to happen? Was the MacOS device also running, or was it sleeping by any chance?

Bill Mini

Luke

I decided to start from scratch and reinstall the HDHomeRun tuner and the channel guide. I now see 2 library folders, “recorded shows” & “recorded movies”. I did a test record and it worked. Probably I did not understand that “recorded shows” was a default that SHOULD be used. I may have made my own library folder for recordings and perhaps this caused the confusion. Question: can I delete the default library folder, “recorded movies”? I doubt that I would need that. Much thanks for your generous help.

Yes try deleting that. You may need to blank out the config setting as well in order to prevent it from coming back. Thanks.