Multiple servers, same house?

VaporTrail

VaporTrail

Got a noob question for you. Didn't find an answer in the archives...

Can I create multiple Emby servers for the same household sharing the same modem/router? Each server would have their own computer and content pool.

mastrmind11

Got a noob question for you. Didn't find an answer in the archives...

Can I create multiple Emby servers for the same household sharing the same modem/router? Each server would have their own computer and content pool.

yes.  you'd just need to change one of the server's to not use the default ports, and obviously port forward external connections appropriately.

however, if you're talking about bridging 2 servers, no it's not possible.

• Like 1

I have two servers set up like that (different ports). One is stable for all my clients. The other is beta for testing the new features.

VaporTrail

I have two servers set up like that (different ports). One is stable for all my clients. The other is beta for testing the new features.

Makes a lot of sense to have a staging server. I just have a couple externals pointed at my potato daily driver, so I ain't sharing (especially when SW decoding eats all my CPU cycles).  :P

BAlGaInTl

Makes a lot of sense to have a staging server. I just have a couple externals pointed at my potato daily driver, so I ain't sharing (especially when SW decoding eats all my CPU cycles).  :P

Curious...

Are you running two instances?  Or two separate physical servers?

mastrmind11

Curious...

Are you running two instances?  Or two separate physical servers?

2 instances is also possible.  I do it now via docker.

BAlGaInTl

2 instances is also possible.  I do it now via docker.

That's how I've done it in the past.  I was just curious what others are doing.  Do you have a shared library?  Or do you keep a production and beta library?

I think with separate physical hardware you don't even have to use different ports since the machines will have different IP addresses.

• Like 1

mastrmind11

That's how I've done it in the past.  I was just curious what others are doing.  Do you have a shared library?  Or do you keep a production and beta library?

I think with separate physical hardware you don't even have to use different ports since the machines will have different IP addresses.

I've done shared library and prod/beta.  

• 3 years later...

I've got two Emby servers.  My old one is on Windows 10 and my new one is being set up on a brand new UNRAID box.  I want to run them parallel until I get everything rolling on the UNRAID.

I can access them both on my home network, but can't get them both running at the same time on the WAN.  I went into my router and added a new port forward using the IP address listed in the UNRAID Emby Dashboard with the same port as the Windows 10 Emby Server (8096).  That didn't work, so I deleted the port forward from the original Windows server, and the UNRAID server worked fine on the WAN.

Do I need to use different ports for each of them in order to keep both of them running simultaneously?  If so, what port should I use and how to I configure Emby on the UNRAID box to use a different port than 8096?

Happy2Play
10 minutes ago, dcruff said:

Do I need to use different ports for each of them in order to keep both of them running simultaneously?  If so, what port should I use and how to I configure Emby on the UNRAID box to use a different port than 8096?

Each server should be run on different ports to allow specific port to be forwarded to specific address.  As for ports that is up to you.  You can run one on 8096 and the other on say 8097.

Not familiar with UNRAID but should be able to change via Settings-Network.  I change both Local and Remote ports.  If you have issues on the UNRAID system changing this, you can always change the Windows system.

51 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Each server should be run on different ports to allow specific port to be forwarded to specific address.  As for ports that is up to you.  You can run one on 8096 and the other on say 8097.

Not familiar with UNRAID but should be able to change via Settings-Network.  I change both Local and Remote ports.  If you have issues on the UNRAID system changing this, you can always change the Windows system.

If I changed the port on the Windows system, would that effect any of the other users and their access to my Emby Server or would they need to update something on their client in order to still access my movies?  And, I know how to change the port forwarding on the router, but how do i change the port forwarding on the Windows Emby Server?

Edited by dcruff

Happy2Play
Just now, dcruff said:

If I changed the port on the Windows system, would that effect any of the other users and their access to my Emby Server or would they need to update something on their client in order to still access my movies?

There will/could be issues depending on their connections methods or how they have their app/client configure to connect.  Connect should update connections but all manually configured connections would fail do to port changes.

So ideally you would want to change the UNRAID system but someone familiar with that system would have to help as I don't know if it is hard coded like some other systems.

3 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

There will/could be issues depending on their connections methods or how they have their app/client configure to connect.  Connect should update connections but all manually configured connections would fail do to port changes.

So ideally you would want to change the UNRAID system but someone familiar with that system would have to help as I don't know if it is hard coded like some other systems.

I think that you're right that I should change the unraid before I make it active for everyone.  I think that I know how to change it in the unraid server.

Actually, I haven't been able to figure out how to change the port on the UNRAID server.  I asked for help in the Linux section of this forum.