5.1 AC3 - Won't Direct Play with M4V extension

DJRumpy

I've found an unusual issue. I typically name my H.264 files as .M4V. Using that extension, with a stock multi-track movie (2 chan HE-AAC as the first track and AC3 5.1 as the second), it will default to the stereo track, and only Direct Stream the 5.1 track.

If I rename the file to a .MP4 extension, it does DirectPlay without issue and auto-selects the 5.1 track without issue. The info indicates it is doing Direct Stream with M4V due to the container. I've used M4V on many many servers, with this audio setup and none had an issue with the container/codec setup.

I'm not sure if this is by design, or a bug.

The only other issue is a movie filename with periods in it like "The Man From U.N.C.L.E (2016)". I end up with "The Man From WTF". Worth a laugh to be sure, but not expected. Can I force it to leave my filenames alone and not rename them? I really dislike when a server does this without asking.

So far so good otherwsie! Great server.

Thanks!

Good question..lol. This is looking directly at the dashboard and the mounted volume. I hadn't actually opened the files in a media player yet. This was after the media library scanner kicked off after adding a new media library. I noticed a few movies that started with "WTF". I didn't realize that the server would rename my movies, so I opened one, and found that each is a movie that has periods in the title, like so:

Titan A.E. (2000)

The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
C.H.U.D. (1984)                      (don't judge me..lol)

Each one that had these had that entire word replaced with WTF so I ended up with:

Titan WTF (2000)
The Man from WTF (2016)
WTF (1984)

I hadn't actually opened anything yet. I just added the media, set the scanner options, and noticed the renames.

Thanks

They play fine. It didn't damage the file. It just renamed it (failed to match due to the periods I assume). I wasn't sure if this period in the filename was a known issue (bug), or something I could work around via some setting. I would also like to prevent it from renaming the files on my volume automatically when it can't match them.

Hm..I had renamed them physically back to the original name, and the second time around, it seems fine with them. I just checked and the NFO now shows the correct movie and the files are no longer being renamed.

I can still send the server log if you like?

Happy2Play

The only other issue is a movie filename with periods in it like "The Man From U.N.C.L.E (2016)". I end up with "The Man From WTF". Worth a laugh to be sure, but not expected. Can I force it to leave my filenames alone and not rename them? I really dislike when a server does this without asking.

Your saying the original file gets renamed?  I have never seen the server by itself rename files.  The log provided does show anything about examples provided.

Yea the server log you provided doesn't contain the text wft or joe.

Are you sure it's the right one from when you added the content?

I have tied for two days to recreate this without success. I can only assume at some point they were renamed by some tool or meta editor I’ve used.

The only issue that remains is the m4v/mp4 5.1 audio direct play bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so back to my first question, when it transcodes, what Emby app are you playing with? Is this the web app?

I’m seeing this on the Roku app. A Roku 2 and a Roku 4.

Rename the extension from m4v to mp4 and it works fine. Not a huge issue as I just renamed the extension on all my videos to mp4, as most apps don’t seem to care.

I should note that I have an Onko TX-NR727 for Output on the media files. It supports anything from MPG to H.264 4K passthru and a slew of audio formats for decoding. I'm not sure if that is important since it does play properly when I use the MP4 extension.

DOLBY Decoder True HD, DD Plus, PLIIz DTS Decoder DTS-HD Master Audio Dolby PLIIz ✓ ONKYO GAME Surround Modes ✓ THX Processing Mode ✓     192K/24 Bit DACs ✓ (Burr-Brown)

The Roku is set to auto-hdmi

Here is the log for the .M4V playback attempt that was using DirectStream rather than DirectPlay. From the looks of the log, it doesn't like the AC3 in the M4V container, but doesn't seem to mind the exact same file when it's the same AC3 audio in an MP4.

I've also included the video info.

Video

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 8 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 8 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 2h 27mn
Bit rate : 2 790 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 536 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 23.976 (24000/1001) fps
Minimum frame rate : 23.974 fps
Maximum frame rate : 23.981 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Stream size : 2.87 GiB (84%)
Writing library : x264 core 155 r2901 7d0ff22
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=8 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.20 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-3 / threads=17 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=16 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=3:1.00
Encoded date : UTC 2018-12-08 02:49:43
Tagged date : UTC 2018-12-08 02:49:43
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Menus : 6
Codec configuration box : avcC
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC SBR
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity with Spectral Band Replication
Commercial name : HE-AAC
Format settings : Explicit
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 82.2 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 138 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 23.438 fps (2048 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 86.7 MiB (2%)
Title : Stereo / Stereo
Language : English
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1
Fallback From : 3
Menus : 6
Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name : Dolby Digital
Codec ID : ac-3
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 448 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 31.250 fps (1536 SPF)
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 472 MiB (13%)
Title : Surround / Surround
Language : English
Service kind : Complete Main
Default : Inherited From: 2
Alternate group : 1
Fallback To : 2

ffmpeg-remux-b1d6368a-3b7c-4711-ad67-9c83189d50e4.txt

I’m seeing this on the Roku app. A Roku 2 and a Roku 4.

Rename the extension from m4v to mp4 and it works fine. Not a huge issue as I just renamed the extension on all my videos to mp4, as most apps don’t seem to care.

@@speechles please check the profiles in the app and make sure m4v is used in all the same places as mp4. thanks !

@@Luke Odd.. we do have m4v as an mp4container sent in the profile. Maybe a Roku firmware update is causing an issue?

I gotta run to do some grocery shopping before it gets much later. I will come back and settle this once I get done with all that. :)

Edit:

@@DJRumpy

---> The Roku is set to auto-hdmi

This could be the issue. Please do NOT use Auto. Properly choose your Audio and do NOT use Auto Detect for the HDMI setting. It is okay to use AUTO for the Audio Mode setting just do NOT use it for the HDMI. Roku firmware will fail to properly identify support for audio with AUTO. This is a known firmware issue.

Edited by speechles

Thank you : ) I almost toggled it last night but usually leave it on auto. I haven’t tested it yet but will when I get back home.

Thank you : ) I almost toggled it last night but usually leave it on auto. I haven’t tested it yet but will when I get back home.

Here is a little more information on the issue.

Topic: Roku OS 9 / Dolby fail?

Thread: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=138026

That was the issue. I changed the setting and it works now regardless. I did go ahead and also create a custom profile just for grins but the default profile worked fine as well.

One last question? Are there any smart list plugins available? A few hours of searching yesterday yielded only Kodi plugins.

That was the issue. I changed the setting and it works now regardless. I did go ahead and also create a custom profile just for grins but the default profile worked fine as well.

One last question? Are there any smart list plugins available? A few hours of searching yesterday yielded only Kodi plugins.

Thanks for reporting back. Glad the issue is now solved. Roku sometimes makes mistakes and we get the complaints. It isn't our fault. We do everything in our power to keep your happy.

There is an IPTV plugin in the Emby catalog. I don't know exactly what a smart list is so maybe this isn't what you meant?

Edited by speechles

No, I'm just looking for one that will allow me to combine genre's or other movie data into smart playlists. For example, tell it to add all movies from the 1970's that are either horror or sci-fi to the smart list. Generated dynamically. I did find a nice plugin that auto-cleans the genres so you don't end up with 15 different types of action genres..lol, but not one that will just let you build a list dynamically based on existing metadata.

Also, no worries on the sound issue. I'm just glad it's resolved, and it solved a similar issue with a client that wasn't choosing the right audio either. This server software has a ton of potential.

Edited by DJRumpy