Identify & Better metadata recognition

Mike5123

Mike5123

First on the list, the identify feature. Please add the file name (not the name on emby, the actual file name/path) to the top of the identify screen when typing in the name of the movie. This will help prevent issues when mass identifying half your library because emby doesn't have the metadata for it.

Second request, when selecting the movie in identify please allow us to go back to the previous section if we selected the movie by mistake (because it cuts off the movie name on the thumbnail). Currently, if you go back it exits out entirely.

Third request, please improve the metadata recognition on emby. When importing my entire library, more then 70% of my movies don't get recognized. 0 of my tv shows get recognized. When selecting "prefer embedded titles over file names" that jumps down to 30%-40% not being recognized. If it used both methods of identification (instead of one or the other) I have a feeling it would be even lower. TV shows don't get recognized regardless.

98% of my movie library gets recognized on plex.

Yes, I know that renaming them would yield better recognition on emby, but when plex can do it without renaming them, emby should as well.

• Like 1

Third request, please improve the metadata recognition on emby. When importing my entire library, more then 70% of my movies don't get recognized. 0 of my tv shows get recognized. When selecting "prefer embedded titles over file names" that jumps down to 30%-40% not being recognized. If it used both methods of identification (instead of one or the other) I have a feeling it would be even lower. TV shows don't get recognized regardless.

Hi there, can you please discuss some specific examples? Thanks !

Mike5123

Hi there, can you please discuss some specific examples? Thanks 

I've already manually identified all of my content. I've also realized plex uses it's own metadata servers for identification and doesn't use TheMovieDb by default which might be where the problem is. 

Ok if you have a moment and you'd like to go over some file name examples of ones you had to manually correct, that would be helpful. Thanks.

unhooked

Adding to this, after resetting my db I came to the conclusion that it would be very useful

to have the file path displayed in the identify window.

An example that's not matching would be /storage/GET/Shared/videos/The Fantastic Four(2015).mp4 (this isn't the roger corman documentary)

It would just be generally easier on us old people who get distracted easily when fixing multiple mismatches. putting in the name and year let's you pick, but I find myself loosing track of which item I'm doing, not to mention mis-clicks and such. 

Adding to this, after resetting my db I came to the conclusion that it would be very useful

An example that's not matching would be /storage/GET/Shared/videos/The Fantastic Four(2015).mp4 (this isn't the roger corman documentary)

It would just be generally easier on us old people who get distracted easily when fixing multiple mismatches. putting in the name and year let's you pick, but I find myself loosing track of which item I'm doing, not to mention mis-clicks and such. 

Hi, see TV Naming & Movie Naming for further documentation on how to fix your issue.

A lot of the time, when Emby fails to accurately identify a film or series, it is due to a user-based error in the naming of the file. Thanks.

unhooked

Hi, see TV Naming & Movie Naming for further documentation on how to fix your issue.

A lot of the time, when Emby fails to accurately identify a film or series, it is due to a user-based error in the naming of the file. Thanks.

It does it on pvr'd shows too, which it shouldn't. example House (2014) which constantly matches against the Japanese show Full House 2014. Having the path is just a usability thing and would make fixing naming easier as well as you could more easily match up your file with the one emby says you have.

Mainly seems to be an issue when there are multiple shows/movies of the same name released on the same year.

In the case of this one, the actual movie title is "the fantastic four (2015)", where it's grabbing the first match which is "Doomed - something something the story of the fantastic four (2015)"

Edited by unhooked

When you say not matched, what does that mean exactly? did it get metadata from the wrong movie, or none at all?

unhooked

When you say not matched, what does that mean exactly? did it get metadata from the wrong movie, or none at all?

Wrong Movie, like with House, wrong show.  It was pulling a documentary about the fantastic four. removing the "the" in this case fixed it, but when it's totally the wrong data it makes it not as easy to find which movie needs to be renamed or rematched as you have to go back to edit metadata to see. I just think it'd be nicer to have that info when in the ID form.

In the case of this one, the actual movie title is "the fantastic four (2015)", where it's grabbing the first match which is "Doomed - something something the story of the fantastic four (2015)"

Are you sure you have the year right? This looks like expected behavior based on the data that MovieDb has:

https://www.themoviedb.org/search/movie?query=the%20fantastic%20four&language=en

Happy2Play

The name of the 2015 film is Fantastic Four, not The Fantastic Four

But the filename is "/storage/GET/Shared/videos/The Fantastic Four (2015).mp4" so it will never match "Fantastic Four".

​Sorry just noticed wasn't OP.  As you are saying the same thing.

Edited by Happy2Play

unhooked

Yes, I stated that removing the "the" fixed that, It really shouldn't be matching against pronouns but I digress.

This was more about usability so you can more easily see what is failing and address it.

This was more about usability so you can more easily see what is failing and address it.

This is something that would need to be reported to Moviedb because Emby just takes the file name and punches it into the Moviedb search engine. That's why you got the result that you did.

Mike5123

This is something that would need to be reported to Moviedb because Emby just takes the file name and punches it into the Moviedb search engine. That's why you got the result that you did.

Filebot is able to correctly identify movies using themoviedb as metadata for my entire library now after a mass rename. Emby however, cannot. Emby uses themoviedb for metadata as well.

Examples:

Thor The Dark World (2013).mkv

Collateral (2004).mkv

Contact (1997).mkv

The only thing I can think of is the folder isn't named correctly. But why the folder would have any baring on emby identifying movies, when the file name of the .mkv is plain as day I have no idea. Doing this did significantly help with identification on Emby, but I'd say 20% of my library is still not being correctly identified, despite having the correct filenames.

I tested each of these examples and they all worked fine for me on the first try. In fact, these really are easy ones because your file names are direct matches for the names in MovieDb.

Best thing to do is accompany each example with the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

Happy2Play

https://i.imgur.com/lDKpt4S.png

Everything without a star/rating is not identified. That's just part of the first page, not including additional pages.

Sorry more context is need to explain the issue.

The only thing I can think of is the folder isn't named correctly. But why the folder would have any baring on emby identifying movies, when the file name of the .mkv is plain as day I have no idea. Doing this did significantly help with identification on Emby, but I'd say 20% of my library is still not being correctly identified, despite having the correct filenames.

What does this mean?  Can you provide a specific example?

Mike5123

Yes, so for example I have Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron 2015 10-bit/Avengers Age of Ultron (2015).mkv which was not identifying correctly. Removing 10-bit from the folder name enabled it to identify correctly.

Why does the folder name play any role in identification?

Edited by Mike5123

Mike5123

I tested each of these examples and they all worked fine for me on the first try. In fact, these really are easy ones because your file names are direct matches for the names in MovieDb.

Best thing to do is accompany each example with the information requested in how to report a problem. thanks.

Just tested again, can confirm renaming Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron 2015 10-bit/Avengers Age of Ultron (2015).mkv to Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron 2015/Avengers Age of Ultron (2015).mkv fixes the issue.

Since most of my library are in folders, that's probably the cause of all of the identification issues.

Happy2Play

Yes, so for example I have Avengers Age of Ultron 10-bit/Avengers Age of Ultron (2015).mkv which was not identifying correctly. Removing 10-bit from the folder name enabled it to identify correctly.

Why does the folder name play any role in identification?

I see what you are saying as "\Avengers Age of Ultron\ABCD.mkv" was identified properly off folder name. 

2018-12-22 10:56:38.557 Info App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Avengers Age of Ultron

Failed example previous post.

\Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron 2015 10-bit/Avengers Age of Ultron (2015).mkv

2018-12-22 11:27:41.351 Info App: MovieDbProvider: Finding id for item: Marvel's Avengers Age of Ultron 2015 10-bit
Edited by Happy2Play

Mike5123

Has this already been fixed in the next release? I can move all of my movies out of their folders and have them all under one directory, but I would like to at least keep trilogies in their own folders. Then again, it's possible when there are multiple movies in a folder it ignores the folder name in identification and just uses the file name.

Deathsquirrel

Has this already been fixed in the next release? I can move all of my movies out of their folders and have them all under one directory, but I would like to at least keep trilogies in their own folders. Then again, it's possible when there are multiple movies in a folder it ignores the folder name in identification and just uses the file name.

The ideal is each movie in its own folder with a name that matches the title in TMDB.  So \\MovieServer\Movieshare\Conan the Barbarian (1984)\Conan the Barbarian (1984).mkv.

Variants like director's cuts or 10-bit color versions go in the same folder together using the naming convention for multiple versions detailed on the wiki.  So, for example, I have both \\Movieserver\Movieshare\Once Upon a Time in America (1984)\Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Director's Cut.mkv and \\Movieserver\Movieshare\Once Upon a Time in America (1984)\Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Theatrical.mkv.  In the client app one movie shows and I can select the desired version from a drop-down before I play it.

• Like 2

Mike5123

The ideal is each movie in its own folder with a name that matches the title in TMDB.  So \\MovieServer\Movieshare\Conan the Barbarian (1984)\Conan the Barbarian (1984).mkv.

Variants like director's cuts or 10-bit color versions go in the same folder together using the naming convention for multiple versions detailed on the wiki.  So, for example, I have both \\Movieserver\Movieshare\Once Upon a Time in America (1984)\Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Director's Cut.mkv and \\Movieserver\Movieshare\Once Upon a Time in America (1984)\Once Upon a Time in America (1984) - Theatrical.mkv.  In the client app one movie shows and I can select the desired version from a drop-down before I play it.

Renaming 600+ folders is something I really don't want to do. Filebot might be able to manage it, but even then it would rename based off the movie in the folder.

It wouldn't help with trilogies, which may contain Die Hard (year)/Die Hard (year).mkv, Die Hard (year)/Die Hard2 (year).mkv, etc.

There should be an option to disable folder identification and just use file names.