Introduction and in your face..

hexluther

hexluther

Hello.  I am hex, hex luther.  <small rounds of applause>

Joking aside.  I am a recent Plex ship jumper, a willing overboard individual looking at giving Emby the ole college try.

That said, and time to get "in your face", I'm seriously not one to beat around the bush.

Is Emby right for me?  Let me explain my setup.  I have two Plex servers.  One I run where I live (am stationed), and another at my brothers where I am from (it serves or rather, served now that plugins are inaccessible via Plex client, to stream from a HD tuner so that I can watch my "hometowm" local news, alumni HS football games, etc. whatever I want to quash the homesick feeling).

I could do this with Plex, albeit, reading about Premiere (which I am a lifetime Premiere member -- I have a tendency to jump head first into things), it states "The following licenses are for single household use and carry a 15 device limit." which would include the lifetime.

Keywords: "single household use"

That seems to mean, I would need two Premiere licenses whereas with Plex, I was fine with just one Plex Pass (also lifetime consequently).  That's harsh and perhaps it's a state of denial in play, but, what's up?

I mean, I'm vested one Premiere lifetime, and frankly, even if I don't end up using it, it seems to me the dev's have done a kick ass job at what they have created, so, money well earned.  Though, I'd either be rich (which I'm not) or silly for not hoping that the $$ will have gotten me a solution to replace Plex, without spending more.

If anyone could set me straight, and/or making recommendations if "setting me straight" involves telling me I do indeed need another Premiere license, because, that isn't feasible at this time (again see comment reaffirming that I am anything but rich).  Thank you.

samuelqwe

Unlike Plex, Emby Premiere is per server, not user. However, that subscription is just a code you enter in the server, so you would probably be able to put in the code in both places/servers.

Chyron

I do indeed need another Premiere license, because, that isn't feasible at this time (again see comment reaffirming that I am anything but rich).  Thank you.

Per Emby's official support wiki, an Emby Premiere key can be used on multiple servers at the same time. "However, keep in mind that the device limit applies to the key, not a single server. So, it will be applied across all servers using the same key."

source: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Can-I-use-my-Emby-Premiere-key-on-more-than-one-server

Further, per ebr, a device only counts toward the device limit if said device makes use of Premiere features, which is determined on a week-to-week basis.

source: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66240-device-counts/?p=658634

The Emby devs seem to say that the vast majority of "single household" users don't go over the limit. But even if you did you shouldn't get another key--you should get an Extended Premiere license, which pushes the device limit for your key up to at least 45 devices.

https://emby.media/premiere-ext.html

...I don't know if Emby has a way for users to track how many devices use a Premiere slot for their key during a given week.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

BAlGaInTl

As others have stated, the devices are aggregate.  I never ran into the 15 device limit, but I went ahead and got the Extended Premiere license in order to support the devs/project.  

It will pay for itself in a few years when I don't have to renew my SD anymore after the next server release.  LOL.

hexluther

The 15 device limit won't affect me, or, I don't believe it will.  Maybe I should take a "head count" of sorts before I blow off that limitation <grin>.

However, it is great news to hear that, by the sounds of it, if I wanted all 15 devices to be servers, I could do just that.  Two will suffice for my needs, thankfully.  I appreciate all the replies here, thus far, in reading the replies in my thread here and other posters threads elsewhere, I'll be enjoying my stay.

So long as Emby keeps to what appears to be its roots.  That is, remain a server <=> client setup, offer liveTV/DVR and know that its users/server owners have their own content and aren't in the least bit concerned about pay for content from it's makers (aherm, Plex).

I really only have it in me to do such a massive shift once every 10 years and even then, it sucks.  Here's for hoping Emby makes that suckage bearable (and better yet, I hope it makes me wish I had left Plex sooner).

<waves to elan!> 

legallink

The 15 device limit won't affect me, or, I don't believe it will.  Maybe I should take a "head count" of sorts before I blow off that limitation <grin>.

However, it is great news to hear that, by the sounds of it, if I wanted all 15 devices to be servers, I could do just that.  Two will suffice for my needs, thankfully.  I appreciate all the replies here, thus far, in reading the replies in my thread here and other posters threads elsewhere, I'll be enjoying my stay.

So long as Emby keeps to what appears to be its roots.  That is, remain a server <=> client setup, offer liveTV/DVR and know that its users/server owners have their own content and aren't in the least bit concerned about pay for content from it's makers (aherm, Plex).

I really only have it in me to do such a massive shift once every 10 years and even then, it sucks.  Here's for hoping Emby makes that suckage bearable (and better yet, I hope it makes me wish I had left Plex sooner).

<waves to elan!>

I just want to add some clarification for you in hopes that I don’t make things more complicated. A server is not a device. You could have 50 servers, they would not count as devices. Devices are end clients, whether native apps or browser based offerings.

The limit to a single household is intended to clarify a few things. 1. When people complain about 15 devices being too few, it is usually because they want to use it for themselves and 50 of their closest friends. It is not a commercial server, but intended for personal media storage and viewing. 2. While there is no way for emby to know, if you were to have a server and your brother wanted one in his house for his family, it would be expected that your brother would buy his own key and not use yours. That being said, given your described usage, I doubt anyone would object to it regardless.

Chyron

While there is no way for emby to know, if you were to have a server and your brother wanted one in his house for his family, it would be expected that your brother would buy his own key and not use yours.

Is there something to that effect in Emby's Terms of Service?

What if the brother was not the admin, and you use the server there when you come to his house?

Is there something to that effect in Emby's Terms of Service?

What if the brother was not the admin, and you use the server there when you come to his house?

That situation is fine.  As legallink stated, the "single household" statement in the terms is still there to be an extra qualifier for the device limit.  When we first started, we just had the "single household" restriction in the terms but quickly found that people would not adhere to that.  Now that we have the device limits, we aren't as concerned about how many servers you are using.

Thanks.

Chyron

@@chyron8472 does this answer your question?

Yes. Suffice it to say the single household rule is depreciated in favor of device limits because device limits are a better enforcement mechanism.

• 5 months later...
Damien_

Sorry if I being thick about this- is the device limit is applied to you the people you share with or just to your specific login?

Thanks

Chyron

Sorry if I being thick about this- is the device limit is applied to you the people you share with or just to your specific login?

Thanks

It applies to any devices, that connect to a server with a Premiere Key, that use premiere features---and then it only applies to that device for the following week.

Suffice it to say, that when a device connects to a server with a key, if and when it uses a premiere feature it then uses one of the key's 25 slots. After a week that slot is then renewed.

The Emby devs are merely interested in the software being used for what amounts to a single household (instead of sharing a server with all creation for commercial profit). To that end, they set a 15-slot weekly premiere device limit because it was more enforceable than an honor system. There were people, however, that said "yeah, but my single household is pretty big and we have a lot of devices." So the devs increased the premiere device limit to 25 slots.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

Damien_

It applies to any devices, that connect to a server with a Premiere Key, that use premiere features---and then it only applies to that device for the following week.

Suffice it to say, that when a device connects to a server with a key, if and when it uses a premiere feature it then uses one of the key's 25 slots. After a week that slot is then renewed.

Thanks a lot for explaining this. There's documentation everywhere about the number of devices but it always references a "household" which is what was causing my confusion. Just wanted to be 100% before upgrading to a lifetime. Thanks again

Chyron

Thanks a lot for explaining this. There's documentation everywhere about the number of devices but it always references a "household" which is what was causing my confusion. Just wanted to be 100% before upgrading to a lifetime. Thanks again

Lifetime is definitely worth it.

...for my part, though, I plan to upgrade to Extended Premiere Lifetime a couple years after having paid for standard Premiere Lifetime, just to support the devs.

Edited by chyron8472
  • Like 1

Damien_

Yea I'm starting to migrate my shared users from Plex to Emby and trying to determine the device count that I'll need. 

Chyron

Yea I'm starting to migrate my shared users from Plex to Emby and trying to determine the device count that I'll need. 

I wouldn't worry about it.

Here is the Premiere Feature Matrix that shows when what devices use premiere features. Again, there are 25 device-slots and it resets every week or so:

Kb5Z0yy.png

2dPiK1k.pngQU9mrmx.png

JDK3wGH.png

Edited by chyron8472