Plex to Emby... (how did it go?)

skidmarks

kurtgschumacher

I recently switched from Plex to Emby after Plex broke both the Roku and Android players... they no longer show all of your playlists. My experience with Emby so far:

- It's a lot faster, especially a "scan all libraries" operation. It takes minutes on Emby, took almost an hour on Plex.

- It uses a lot less storage. My Plex database was about 35 gig. It took half of forever for Windows to delete the thousands of files it used.

- It uses standard .nfo files for show information, and you can keep them... and the poster images... in the media folders.

- It has a portable server install, so I was able to easily install it on one of my media drives.

Overall I'm really happy with Emby, and I wish I had made the change sooner.

When I have a few brain cells I'm going to try setting up an Emby server on a thumb drive so I can load it with movies to take on trips. Because there's never anything I want to watch on the hotel TV!

JackHadrill

Switching from Plex to Emby for the better live TV integration, and finer grain control over HW accelerated decoding. 

Really hoping the Gracenote update comes out soon, as at the moment I'm about 12 hours away from having to buy a month's SD subscription :') 

Great work guys, loving Emby so far. Will likely buy either yearly or lifetime after my wallet has recovered from Christmas. :-D

JackHadrill

Gracenote is out, if you're on the beta.

I'm on 3.6.0.76 and was under the impression Gracenote was due for release in version 3.6.0.77. Has that since been released and I've just missed it? :D

Edit: Yes, yes it is! Will upgrade now... Thanks for letting me know!

Edit v2.0: No Linux build just yet, will be patient. Awesome stuff :D 

Edited by JackHadrill
  • Like 1

hexluther

3.6 is still in beta, but not for too much longer. 

You'll be able to group series into collections with 3.6.

Oh my, please have collections off by default, just in case it was planned otherwise.  The P word (hehe) company decided to enable collections, but by default, or via some default method.  I forget the details, perhaps it was just the Win machines, as I don't recall my unRaid being "hit" by it. 

Speaking of, I'll have to search for binhex's Emby docker, to see if I can access beta.  I'd love to provide any last minute (wasn't necessarily by choice) testing if I can.  In the past, I was silent with the P word company if things were chugging along nicely.  I figured my money was where my mouth was, evidently, that is the wrong mindset to have.  I won't make that mistake twice.

Chyron

No, Emby doesn't automagically create collections for you by default. There is a plug-in for that, called "Auto Box Sets", but you can rest assured that plugin isn't enabled unless you enable it.

Edited by chyron8472

And not only that, but the Collections feature as a whole is something you have to choose to start using. Thanks !

nkognegr0

Hi,

Recently I have migrated a Plex server to an Emby server without too many problems. I am delighted with the change but I am still using Plex to watch movies encoded with the hevc codec on my Apple TV without transcoding.

I hope that this problem is solved soon to be able to leave Plex permanently.

Thank you

I just set mine up a few days ago and noticed that Emby plays hevc with no transcoding. I did have to go in and set my server bandwidth really high to make it stop transcoding. Emby seems to rely on the numbers you set for server speed and by what you set per user. Try and see if that works for you.

Edited by nkognegr0

nkognegr0

Anyone know how to make the latest EPISODES appear on the homescreen? I get the TV folders and not the actual episodes. Plex always showed you the latest episodes on the homescreen.

vdatanet

I just set mine up a few days ago and noticed that Emby plays hevc with no transcoding. I did have to go in and set my server bandwidth really high to make it stop transcoding. Emby seems to rely on the numbers you set for server speed and by what you set per user. Try and see if that works for you.

Thanks for your answer, but it's not a bandwidth problem. Movies are played fine on Android TV 4K. It's a video profile problem for the Apple TV.
Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

KarlDag

Pixel 2 xl fully updated. Thanks

@@Luke any ideas? I was able to sync a file to my old android tablet that now runs CyanogenMod mod, so theoretically the server behaves fine... Something's up on my phone. Anyway to get logs?

Also, I tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it, but was surprised that it logged right back in my account without any input. Do you use android smart lock, or is there some sort of issue with data not being removed during uninstalling?

Thanks d00zah! I'm reading here that I'm using the correct folder name for my movies. I have a tendency to group into folders certain movie series so I think that might be what's messing up my movie collections. (Some of my extras are being picked up as movies.

Below is my setup:

/Movies

/Spy Kids Collection

/Spy Kids (2001)

Spy Kids (2001).mkv

/Spy Kids 3-D (2003)

Spy Kids 3-D (2003).mkv

Spy Kids 3-D (2003).hsbs.mkv

/Extras

Game Over.mkv

Deleted Scenes.mkv

Trailer.mkv

It's also possible to have a sub-folder group multiple shows together in an otherwise normal directory structure. Use the metadata manager to change the content type of the sub-folder to TV.

\TV --- content type TV

\TV show 1

\Season 1

\Star Trek --- change content type to TV using metadata manager

\Star Trek

\Season 1

\Star Trek: The next Generation

\Season 1

Edited by Arly (Sprinkles)

It's also possible to have a sub-folder group multiple shows together in an otherwise normal directory structure. Use the metadata manager to change the content type of the sub-folder to TV.

\TV --- content type TV

\TV show 1

\Season 1

\Star Trek --- change content type to TV using metadata manager

\Star Trek

\Season 1

\Star Trek: The next Generation

\Season 1

@@Sprinkles, FYI, the manual content type override has been deprecated in the upcoming 3.6.

KarlDag

What device and version of Android?

FYI got the december update yesterday on my phone and now it's downloaded 2 episodes perfectly... Must have been a bit on Google's end. Thanks.

Edited by KarlDag

ItsSuperJeremy

I, too, am preparing to make the switch from Plex to Emby.

Regarding the Emby TV naming conventions, all of my TV episodes are named as follows:

ShowName - s01e01.ext

My issue is all my shows have the hyphen between the name and the series/episode.

Will Emby accept this without too much trouble?

I have a fairly large library, both in terms of size and number of files. I can provide additional details if needed, but can Emby appropriately handle very large media libraries?

What is everyone's experience with sharing Emby libraries with others remotely? Any connectivity or performance problems? How is Emby's transcoding compared to Plex?

Thanks

Happy2Play

1. You shouldn't have any issue with that naming scheme.

5c1c2bdb025a1_scheme.jpg

2.  There are users here with over 100TB of media, so I would say large media libraries are not a issue.

3.  I have never used Plex so I can't compare.  As for transcoding Emby does full transcodes (currently) instead of chunks like Plex.

Note the next release (3.6) will have more performance improvements.

• Like 1

Perplexed

I can confirm your question 3: Emby starts near instantly and never buffers... Unlike Plex. Emby is definitely the winner on that front!

• Like 2

boldphoenix

I made the switch to Emby (Though i still have Plex running on the same server with only a few libraries left for the stragglers) going on 2 weeks ago. I am pleased with the performance difference, as well as the interface. I am a little frustrated with the device licensing, and more specifically, the way to tell how many are actually being used (i know there is a device list in the menu), and what i am licensed for in the Premier licensing section. i.e. "premier licensed for 15 devices, 45 devices, 75 devices, etc, that way if i am forced to use this way of licensing, i can keep a watch on how many i own, versus how many are being used. I am currently running the 3.6.080 beta, and i love the performance and options. Plex server will be uninstalled the day after christmas, as i have given my family and friends that long to create an Emby account lol. i am happy to make the switch, and so glad i did! I did like Plex's licensing model better, but they have seriously "screwed the pooch" on performance and their roku/android clients, and their response to complaints about the new client updates told me all i needed to know about them. Emby Rocks!