How to migrate from Linux to Windows?

blublub

blublub

Hi

I am about to move from Linux to Windows with my Emby setup and I am scratching my head on how to get this done without loosing any Emby data which is currently not saved in the media folders but in the Emby DB.

What I came up with is this:

• Use Emby backup for settings users etc....
  • Change current setup to save database/metadata information to my media folders
  • Install Emby on Windows, import my backup and rescan the media folders to rebuild my Emby DB
  • disable save metadata to folders and delete folder metadata

Would that work?

hoppel118

Hi, I don’t know if it’s possible to use a Linux backup for Windows, but the rest should work how you described it. I did it that way from Windows to Linux some years ago.

It’s not that much work to configure the settings, if you have your metadata at your media folders.

By the way... Are you „blublub“ from the openmediavault forum? Why do you want change from Linux to Windows? :)

Regards Hoppel

Edited by hoppel118

BAlGaInTl

I think folks should go the other way.

:)

I'm using OMV and have been for years.

You could create the backup and then try it out in a virtual machine first.

Edited by BAlGaInTl
  • Like 1

When you restore the backup i would suggest only restoring users and user data. if you restore anything containing folder paths, you may run into problems as the paths won't be applicable anymore.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1

blublub

I think folks should go the other way.

:)

I'm using OMV and have been for years.

You could create the backup and then try it out in a virtual machine first.

Yeah I know.

However if there is anything with OMV, which I am currently using, that I don't like it is the need to use tje CLI - even if it is just updating Emby.

Then there is my VDR, it works when it works but even changing favorites requires CLI again an for me that's a pain. I one tried TVHeadend and was not very pleased with how it managed Channels and back then it didn't do well with SCR - they had one build and it was buggy.

Then everytime the kernel changes I need to look for the Cine S2 drivers as debian didn't include them - I understand they seem to do it now, but still there remains a risk.

So u see there Re a couple of reasons..

blublub

Sadly it doesn't work.

When I set the libraries to store metadata in the folders and then update metadata to "replace all" nothing is being written to the folders.

BAlGaInTl

Yeah I know.

However if there is anything with OMV, which I am currently using, that I don't like it is the need to use tje CLI - even if it is just updating Emby.

Then there is my VDR, it works when it works but even changing favorites requires CLI again an for me that's a pain. I one tried TVHeadend and was not very pleased with how it managed Channels and back then it didn't do well with SCR - they had one build and it was buggy.

Then everytime the kernel changes I need to look for the Cine S2 drivers as debian didn't include them - I understand they seem to do it now, but still there remains a risk.

So u see there Re a couple of reasons..

Interesting.  I sometimes use CLI just because it's faster.  But I'm capable of doing everything from the OMV web interface.

I run Emby in a Docker container, and have used the OMV plugin GUI exclusively to set up Docker/Emby/Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/etc.  It took some trial and error to figure out what was what, but now I can manage it all from there.  I wouldn't say it's that much more difficult than doing it in Windows.  And for the most part, it just works.

The only time I have to go to CLI is to update my LetsEncrypt certificate.  When I get motivated enough, I'll install a nginix Docker and get all of that automated too... but for now, it's a bit above my head.

vdatanet

I did a migration from Linux to a WD NAS. In my libraries I checked to store nfo file in the Linux Box:

5c13e52aba1df_Captura.png

Then when I added the library to the WD box, all metadata, art.. was downloaded succesfully. It was not necessary to identify any movie.

blublub

I also checked that option on my current setup but no NFO files are written to the folders. I tried a rescan and also re-download of all the metadata for movies and series.

Seems like my setup is borked in some way.

blublub

Interesting. I sometimes use CLI just because it's faster. But I'm capable of doing everything from the OMV web interface.

I run Emby in a Docker container, and have used the OMV plugin GUI exclusively to set up Docker/Emby/Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/etc. It took some trial and error to figure out what was what, but now I can manage it all from there. I wouldn't say it's that much more difficult than doing it in Windows. And for the most part, it just works.

The only time I have to go to CLI is to update my LetsEncrypt certificate. When I get motivated enough, I'll install a nginix Docker and get all of that automated too... but for now, it's a bit above my head.

My docker doesn't work for some reason and I am tired if trying.

And as I said VDR requires CLI always as I have had issues with the plugin.So I guess Windows seems like a good option for me.

If you checked the option and you're not getting nfo files then it likely means that emby server is being denied write access to your media folders.

BAlGaInTl

My docker doesn't work for some reason and I am tired if trying.

And as I said VDR requires CLI always as I have had issues with the plugin.So I guess Windows seems like a good option for me.

Guess I'm not that familar with VDR.  What's the windows equivalent?

I just use Emby's built in recording options.

blublub

Ok, Feedback:

Partly worked. My old emby profile was probably broken and not all movies had NFO files but overall it wasn't too bad