Shield Experience 7.2

CBers

i wanted to see if maybe high-res 5.1 FLAC was fixed, the answer is yes.. at least with PlexForKodi, and Emby. here are my test results with 5.1 Flac at 24bit/96kHz.   

Plex: Plays as 2.0 @ 48kHz.  

PlexForKodi: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. i don't know if it's possible to check bitrate with my hardware, is it possible within the app?  

Emby: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. again i don't know how to check bitrate.

so if i'm not mistaken, it looks like whatever prevented high-res 5.1 FLAC from working before is now fixed  

They add 5.1 support to stereo 

Youtube now supports 5.1

Samba is another great addition

Lists of some improvements:

-The latest monthly Android™ security updates
-Adds customizable Quick Settings (Settings > System > Customize Quick Settings)
-Adds option to auto-upgrade SHIELD (Settings > About > System upgrade > Auto-upgrade)
-Adds support for SMBv3 when mounting network storage (NAS or PC) to SHIELD
-Automatically sets color mode when playing Rec. 709 content
-Adds option to sleep idle USB drives (Settings > Storage & reset > Sleep drives when idle)
-Fixes BT remote pairing issues (disable Settings > Security & restrictions > Bluetooth LE Privacy)
-Adds ability to control soundbar power on/off via IR (Settings > Display & Sound > Power Control)
-Adds network link speed when connected via Ethernet (Settings > Network > Connected)
-[sHIELD 2015 and Pro] Adds notification to migrate app data from SD Card to internal storage
-Adds ability to control TV/AVR volume over HDMI-CEC from Amazon Echo
-Adds option to disconnect Bluetooth audio devices
-Improves responsiveness of SHIELD TV mobile app when connected over Wi-Fi

Good update.

I can open numerous apps via Google Home ("open google play music app on shield", "open youtube app on shield", "open plex app on shield"). Waiting for the day that I can "open emby app on shield."

• Like 2

Coxeroni

I thought I read somewhere in advance, that there should be a system-wise frame rate switch ability incorporated, haven't read anything about that now. I hoped that e.g. Netflix would now also be able to switch the frame rate, respectively the Shield doing it natively. Anyone tried that?

Good update.

I can open numerous apps via Google Home ("open google play music app on shield", "open youtube app on shield", "open plex app on shield"). Waiting for the day that I can "open emby app on shield."

I actually got both a google home mini and amazon echo recently but i don't really see the point of them if you don't have smart home devices. The shield already has voice activation through the controller and remote.. what's the benefit of these smart speakers with shield?

CBers

what's the benefit of these smart speakers with shield?

You don't have to use a remote or controller to open apps, just your voice.

I can ask Google to turn my Shield on and as the Shield has CEC enabled, it will turn my TV on as well.

Also, just testing with "OK Google, open Emby on Shield", does actually work.

It turns my TV on via CEC and opens Emby.

• Like 1

You don't have to use a remote or controller to open apps, just your voice.

I can ask Google to turn my Shield on and as the Shield has CEC enabled, it will turn my TV on as well.

Also, just testing with "OK Google, open Emby on Shield", does actually work.

It turns my TV on via CEC and opens Emby.

But isn't this already possible without these devices? https://www.howtogeek.com/331936/how-to-make-your-nvidia-shield-listen-for-ok-google-even-when-the-tv-is-off/

it just seems redundant to me (unless you have smart home devices)

also another caveat: I've tried the OK Google detection on the shield but it kept activating my cell phone at the same time.. one benefit of having the echo i can see is you have two separate voice commands to use (Ok google for phone, Alexa for shield).

Edited by phrostb

i wanted to see if maybe high-res 5.1 FLAC was fixed, the answer is yes.. at least with PlexForKodi, and Emby. here are my test results with 5.1 Flac at 24bit/96kHz.   

Plex: Plays as 2.0 @ 48kHz.  

PlexForKodi: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. i don't know if it's possible to check bitrate with my hardware, is it possible within the app?  

Emby: Plays as 5.1 @ 96kHz. again i don't know how to check bitrate.

so if i'm not mistaken, it looks like whatever prevented high-res 5.1 FLAC from working before is now fixed  

Hi.  What version of the Emby app were you using here?

jhoff80

I saw that 7.2 supports the Alexa Remote so I picked up one of those.  Yeah, voice search doesn't work with it at this time, but other than that this is 100% the remote that the Shield should have come with in the first place, and I never use voice search anyway.

(I also highly recommend spending the extra $5 to get a Fire TV 4k Stick with it, because with the Fire TV, you can also configure the IR functionality of the Alexa remote, which remains programmed after you pair it to the Shield.  Without that, you can only control power and volume using HDMI-CEC, which my older TV in a second room only supports power over, not volume.  I used the Fire TV for this setup, and then just shoved it in a drawer - maybe to be used once or twice to help remote users figure out issues, but that's it.)

Edited by jhoff80

WilhelmStroker

Is 7.2.1 in the beta program or publicly available? Not seeing it on my shield yet. Knock on wood I've not had any issues with 7.2..

CBers

Is 7.2.1 in the beta program or publicly available? Not seeing it on my shield yet. Knock on wood I've not had any issues with 7.2..

That's a good question - may be a beta as I'm on the Preview Programme, but there are only 4 fix items and the download wasn't very big, so may be GA soon.

WilhelmStroker

That's a good question - may be a beta as I'm on the Preview Programme, but there are only 4 fix items and the download wasn't very big, so may be GA soon.

I just had to be patient as it just showed up for me. Definitely public :) also only 14mb so just hotfixes I guess.

• Like 1

Quote Nvidia Shield Forum:

"The Home integration issue for some users needs an app update from google which will come from google in January now."

• 3 weeks later...
Jdiesel

If you've got an HDR TV in rec2020 that does poor converstion of rec709 content, you'll want to enable this from the release notes:
• [Beta] Adds setting to automatically switch color modes (Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry).

vdatanet

Bad luck, at least in my case things remain the same with version 7.2.2 (referred to the HDR problem)