How do subtitles work? Not downloading subtitles

JBX

Hi,

I'm trying to understand how the subtitles work.

A) I configured Open Subtitles plugin (1.0.2.0) with the same account I use in Kodi.

B) The Movie Library is configured to download Dutch subtitles with OpenSubtitles as the downloader.

C) In the library settings I checked "Only download subtitles that are a perfect match for my video files".

D) In the library settings I checked "Save subtitles into media folders".

Now I don't see any new subtitles appearing.

1) Do I need to run the library scan manually to download subtitles?

2) Do I need to run (or wait for it to run) the scheduled task "Download missing subtitles"?

3) Does it overwrite existing subtitles if it finds a newer one? I don't want that to happen.

4) When a movie doesn't have subtitles I click the ellipsis > Edit subtitles > (Already set to Dutch as default) Magnifying glass. Open Subtitles shows a list of subtitles, I click the download icon. Then it says "Download queued". Although I still don't see subtitles anywhere. Even after running 1) and 2) manually.

5) What does C) exactly do? Does it look at the file name or the internal file name? Because all my movies are renamed to match the name on IMDb.

6) I assume D) puts the subtitle next to each movie in the same folder with the same name as the movie.

Edited by JBX

I figured out why it's not downloading. I found this message in the logging "OpenSubtitles rate limit reached".

I was under the impression that I only had around 50 movies without subtitles. So I logged in at Opensubtitles.org and it showed it already downloaded 200 subtitles today. All of them being from TV shows, not movies. The thing is that almost all these TV shows are ripped from DVDs with burned in subtitles. So there is no way of telling which show already has subtitles.

Hi, please check your subtitle download settings for your TV library. There are settings that control when to skip downloading based on the presence of embedded subtitles. Thanks.

Not embedded subtitles. “Burned in” subtitles. They are part of the picture.

I think I found a workaround. I will replace all the downloaded subtitles with empty files for the videos with burned in subtitles. That way they will not be downloaded again.

Right OK. there is no way for Emby to know about the presence of burned in subtitles so you'll have to either disable the downloading or come up with a workaround. Thanks.

How can I prevent that Emby downloads subtitles automatically? I want to download Dutch subtitles manually when I notice that they're missing during watching the movie. Just like in Kodi.

Hi, the only way Emby downloads subtitles at all is if you turned it on. So the answer is, you can turn it off in the same place that you turned it on.

Have you checked your subtitle downloading settings for each of your emby libraries?

There are several things that need to be “on”:

You have to choose a prefered subtitle language for the user

You have to choose languages to download

You have to select Open Subtitles as the dowloader

Hou have to select “only download exact match”

I deleted the scheduled job that downloads the subtitles. Is that enough? I could accidentally start it and it would mess up the entire collection again and causing downloading 200 subtitles per day.

If I turn off all these things except my prefered subtitle language, can I still download subs manually for a specific movie?

Edited by JBX

No that's not enough because it can also happen when media is first scanned. I would just uncheck all subtitle download languages for each library that you've enabled.

Also the user preferred subtitle language has nothing to do with downloading. It is only used for picking which subtitle track to play.

• 1 year later...

Downloading subtitles during video playback is coming to the next version of many of our apps - android, iOS, etc. iOS will actually be two updates from now as we've already submitted one to apple. Enjoy.