New Samsung Releases

Luke

psxlover

@@flakie, you also have the app from the store? I doubt you can have the same app installed twice. Also, the skipping issue has not been fixed yet as far as I know.

flakie

@@flakie, you also have the app from the store? I doubt you can have the same app installed twice. Also, the skipping issue has not been fixed yet as far as I know.

Hi yes, same app is installed installed twice on my other TVs, slightly different icons so easy to tell which version is which. I did consider it might be because I had both installed so I removed the official one but still cannot see the side-loaded one, even after installing it again. Guess the TV is not quite being honest when it states it installed successfully.

The side-loaded app has fixed the skipping issue. Can now skip 30-seconds and no spinning orb on screen (well, you see it for a part of a micro second and then its gone).

FrostByte

There are two icons, but it's the exact same app and the second one over wrote the first.  The two icons will start the same app and should have kept your settings.  If you deleted one, the second icon would say something like failed to load

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

To clean up your apps list so there aren't two icons just do as you did and delete both, then reinstall from usb.  The only issue would be then you lose your settings, but probably not a real big issue for most

flakie

There are two icons, but it's the exact same app and the second one over wrote the first.  The two icons will start the same app and should have kept your settings.  If you deleted one, the second icon would say something like failed to load

Ah you are quite right. I just tried to run the side-load icon one on the TVs where I deleted the official one and it tells me to try later so it does appear that deleting one is deleting both. One app, two icons. It is not just the 2 icons that made me think there were two separate apps installed. Long pressing on them gave different results, The official icon one gives you the option to view detail such as version number etc. The side-loaded icon does not give these options when long pressing it.

I am guessing now that on the bedroom TV the side-load version is actually installed but it kept the original icon? I never actually tried to run it, I just assumed it had failed to install because the icon looked like the official one and there was not two icons. Cannot check until tomorrow as someone in there sleeping now.

• Like 1

flakie

Had a look at the bedroom TV again this morning, with my glasses on. Found the side-loaded icon. It is just a grey square. none of the traditional emby green. Looks more like a blank space than an icon so no wonder I missed it without my specs

I uninstalled the official version and tried to uninstall the side-loaded one, ready to star afresh with side-load only.

Long press down on it does nothing. No context menu at all. Tried to uninstall from TV menu and it hangs at zero percent (waited over 30 minutes). No way to cancel. Had to tun off TV.

Reinstalled official app and launched that (icon easy to find). This now works with no spinning orb when skipping forwards/backwards in the video.

Happy its working so leaving it as it is. Until the next release.......

• 2 weeks later...
FrostByte

.62 is in the store as of yesterday (2018 premium model) if anyone prefers to get it from there.

Edited by FrostByte

Guest JaysEmby

@@Luke

What are the few small extras that been added the store version dont have? :)

"The current zip is equal to the 1.0.62 store release, plus a few small things on top of that."

FrostByte

Where can I get the latest version of the Samsung app for USB side loading?

The version on github here https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/tree/master/tizen is still the old one from 30th of June.

Nevermind. Just realized that this actually is the latest version.

We should get a monthly app message on our TVs when there's a new USB version.  

Edited by FrostByte

Just a heads up that the sideload build has been updated for anyone who wants 1.0.63. The update notifications right now are really just monthly prompts to inform you to install a newer version. So for example with 1.0.62, on August 1, you'll start getting a message on app startup that you should update, unless you update ahead of time and then you'll never see it. For 1.0.63, that date is Sept 1, and so on and so forth.

Until we have time to build something better, it's just a quick way to make sure that none of you get stuck on one version forever without being able to update. Thanks.

• Like 1

psxlover

Suggestion for next release, include the version number somewhere (settings?).

• Like 3

Guest JaysEmby

Suggestion for next release would be to fix this weird bug  :lol: with larger library files where the performance drops and scrolling is super slow or freezes when trying come back out the folder etc its a pain in the bum  :lol: i don't get the issue with the Roku or firestick 4k with scrolling a folder with 3000+ films just the Samsung app  :blink:

also is there anyway can increase the buffer size used? does it use the TV's ram or storage itself for the buffer? as noticed when i use the firestick android app i can change the cache size and can see from my internet streaming it pulls more data in chunks so guess it using bigger buffer as standard to fill  :unsure:  

also maybe add a Samsung section to the "Testing Area" where we can try newer test versions to then report back bugs or issues or give suggestions to get this app improved quicker with the help of the community who have Samsung TV's  :P

i personally prefer the UI look of the Samsung app to the android app or Roku app as looks clean and polished and means less devices plugged into my tv to   :wub:

I'd love a exit app prompt though like roku app

Well we have one, but had to disable it for Samsung as we had a hard time getting it through their review process.

psxlover

Strange, Netflix does not even exit with the back button it just opens and closes the menu, and they had problem with having an exit prompt?

I noticed that if you have an unknown series and you use More - Identify(?) you can search for the title but you can't select any of the banners that come up, so you can't identify the series using the Samsung app (on version .62, don't know if it was fixed on .63)

It just depends on what reviewer you get. Some of them won't spend more than a couple minutes getting to know your app, and if they don't understand something then it's pretty much instant rejection. So if you wonder why we have to scale back features sometimes, that's one reason.

• 1 month later...