New Samsung Releases

Luke

Sorry moving slowly on that, but we should have it available soon. Thanks.

k0Lm.

Would the side-loaded version be more up-2-date then the downloadable-by-appstore version so i can give emby a try again?

Yes but the app store version is very up to date now for most devices.

• 2 weeks later...
KriLoK

Wondering if there's any further progress on the side-loaded version... Would be great to be able to use Emby in Spain without having to switch TV regions. 

flakie

Only just installed Emby last night and love it. But I get the spinning orb loading graphic when I skip forwards or backwards on my Samsung TV.

Stays on screen for duration of the movie/show.

TV:
Model: UE43NU7120
software: T-KTSUDEUC-1260.8

Emby: 1.0.61  17/6/2019

pauljamesbusby

Only just installed Emby last night and love it. But I get the spinning orb loading graphic when I skip forwards or backwards on my Samsung TV.

Stays on screen for duration of the movie/show.

TV:

Model: UE43NU7120

software: T-KTSUDEUC-1260.8

Emby: 1.0.61 17/6/2019

The same issue others have reported.

If you pause, FF/RW, then resume, you don't have this problem.

I think if you pause and resume it also clears the stuck spinning disk.

flakie

The same issue others have reported.

If you pause, FF/RW, then resume, you don't have this problem.

I think if you pause and resume it also clears the stuck spinning disk.

Thanks, i will try this.

<edit>tried but neither of them workarounds work for me</edit>

Edited by flakie

flakie

I have to backup out to movies details page and then click on resume

Thanks, I will try later, NAS is currently running at 95% cpu and 85% memory as it performing a scan of my media folders. I just added 500 movies so will take a while I guess.

pauljamesbusby

I have to backup out to movies details page and then click on resume

Even if you pause before fw/RW it still sticks?

psxlover

Great timing. I got a q60r yesterday (actually I bought a q6fn but unfortunately it came with a burned pixel and since that model was out of stock they replaced it with more expensive, but inferior q60r).

I changed region just to get Emby installed, but I found the Samsung version inferior to the one for Android TV, so I was planning on using MiBox for Emby until I could at least install it on the TV without changing region.

Does the current zip have any changes from the version found in store?

Edited by psxlover

Great timing. I got a q6r yesterday (actually I bought a q60 but unfortunately it came with a burned pixel and since that model was out of stock they replaced it with more expensive, but inferior q6r).

I changed region just to get Emby installed, but I found the Samsung version inferior to the one for Android TV, so I was planning on using MiBox for Emby until I could at least install it on the TV without changing region.

Does the current zip have any changes from the version found in store?

The current zip is equal to the 1.0.62 store release, plus a few small things on top of that.

psxlover

Some of the "issues" I have with the Samsung app as opposed to the Android TV app:

• Like others mentioned, when you hold the right/left button to move around the video, it moves the playback to the next spot and loads the video which causes it to slow down a lot, as opposed to Android TV where is seems to pause the video, and only resume playback when you stop pressing the button at the timestamp you have selected.
    The TV's player seems to have similar handling, but since it plays files on a connected hard disk the loading delay is barely noticeable.
    Watching something through DLNA, moving forward/backwards is equally slow as using Emby app, with the difference that if you bring up the controls you can move to the progress bar, and move to another timestamp without affecting the video at all (it continues playing at the point it was), and when you reach the timestamp you want you press the select button to move the video there.
  • There are no options for how subtitles will appear, and there is something strange going on with .ass subtitles. Is the server extracting them? (I don't see something in the logs that suggests it does). In videos with .ass subtitles, the subtitles appear with a transparent black background which I'd prefer to remove, but what is worse, is that when there is no text displayed the background still appears as a small box (as if there is a space being displayed). Playing the same video through usb/dlna there is no such background, plus the subtitles are a lot bigger (even though "small" is selected as subtitle size), so I guess the application is somehow displaying the subtitles and thus the background too.
  • In Android TV app if you press down while the player controls (or the message about the next episode starting in X seconds) are visible, the controls go away. This seems to be missing from the Samsung application. Also pressing the "back" button while the controls are show will hide them in Android TV, while in Samsung it exits the video. Basically they is no way to hide the controls in Samsung other than waiting.

Some of the "issues" I have with the Samsung app as opposed to the Android TV app:

• Like others mentioned, when you hold the right/left button to move around the video, it moves the playback to the next spot and loads the video which causes it to slow down a lot, as opposed to Android TV where is seems to pause the video, and only resume playback when you stop pressing the button at the timestamp you have selected.

The TV's player seems to have similar handling, but since it plays files on a connected hard disk the loading delay is barely noticeable.

Watching something through DLNA, moving forward/backwards is equally slow as using Emby app, with the difference that if you bring up the controls you can move to the progress bar, and move to another timestamp without affecting the video at all (it continues playing at the point it was), and when you reach the timestamp you want you press the select button to move the video there.

• There are no options for how subtitles will appear, and there is something strange going on with .ass subtitles. Is the server extracting them? (I don't see something in the logs that suggests it does). In videos with .ass subtitles, the subtitles appear with a transparent black background which I'd prefer to remove, but what is worse, is that when there is no text displayed the background still appears as a small box (as if there is a space being displayed). Playing the same video through usb/dlna there is no such background, plus the subtitles are a lot bigger (even though "small" is selected as subtitle size), so I guess the application is somehow displaying the subtitles and thus the background too.
  • In Android TV app if you press down while the player controls (or the message about the next episode starting in X seconds) are visible, the controls go away. This seems to be missing from the Samsung application. Also pressing the "back" button while the controls are show will hide them in Android TV, while in Samsung it exits the video. Basically they is no way to hide the controls in Samsung other than waiting.

The tizen video player is rendering the embedded ass/ssa subtitles directly, but unfortunately all it supports is plain text. We'll probably add an option at some point to allow you to force them to be burned in with server transcoding, if that's what you prefer.

The other two items, yes those are things that can be improved. Thanks.

flakie

On one of my TVs (a small 32" bedroom TV) the app has installed (differently from the other TVs as no user interaction required, did not have to click OK to start install).

But I cannot find the app anywhere.

It does not have an 'Downloaded Apps' section of 'Apps' as on my other larger TVs.

It has a 'My Apps' section which I assume is the equivalent but it is not in there. Have checked all the other options, Video for example (which has loads of Apps) but not there either.

The Service Notice menu does show that it installed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

LT32E390S

Software v1530

psxlover

@@flakie don't know about the older platforms, but on my TV, I can also find all installed applications if I go into the settings in "Apps" (the gear at the top right). There it has options like adding an app to home

@@Luke I don't have a problem with the TV rendering them, I only notice that .ass attributes are ignored when there is more than one subtitle at the same time on the screen (usually when a label/sign or something is translated along with the voice). My issue is that background, which I guess comes from the application, or at least the application is telling Tizen to add it, since like I said it does not appear when I view the same video from a usb or via DLNA.

Having the transcode option like it was added in Android TV is great, but currently I'm running Emby on an old netbook, so transcoding is not really an option for me right now.

If I remember correctly at some point the web player was using a javascript library for .ass, is that still a thing? For some reason when I try to play a video with .ass subtitles nothing displays (and actually even though I've set my account to always display subtitles it keeps resetting subtitles to off).

Was there ever a consideration to also use a library in the Samsung application (the player is using HTML5 right?)? I see that the demo in https://github.com/Dador/JavascriptSubtitlesOctopus which is linked by the now defunct libjass is playing without any issues in my TV's browser, although I can't say anything about older versions.

I understand that there are higher priorities, I only ask that you consider adding it to your TODO task.

Thanks

@@Luke I don't have a problem with the TV rendering them, I only notice that .ass attributes are ignored when there is more than one subtitle at the same time on the screen (usually when a label/sign or something is translated along with the voice). My issue is that background, which I guess comes from the application, or at least the application is telling Tizen to add it, since like I said it does not appear when I view the same video from a usb or via DLNA.

Having the transcode option like it was added in Android TV is great, but currently I'm running Emby on an old netbook, so transcoding is not really an option for me right now.

If I remember correctly at some point the web player was using a javascript library for .ass, is that still a thing? For some reason when I try to play a video with .ass subtitles nothing displays (and actually even though I've set my account to always display subtitles it keeps resetting subtitles to off).

Was there ever a consideration to also use a library in the Samsung application (the player is using HTML5 right?)? I see that the demo in https://github.com/Dador/JavascriptSubtitlesOctopus which is linked by the now defunct libjass is playing without any issues in my TV's browser, although I can't say anything about older versions.

I understand that there are higher priorities, I only ask that you consider adding it to your TODO task.

Thanks

It's because the samsung tizen library doesn't support these features.

We are actually already using that exact same rendering library in the web app, but have not looked at adding it to tizen. The problem is that it relies on having to extract the subtitles on the fly, not everyone's server can handle that.

flakie

@@flakie don't know about the older platforms, but on my TV, I can also find all installed applications if I go into the settings in "Apps" (the gear at the top right). There it has options like adding an app to home

Thanks but no option to find installed apps there. Just to move them, delete them etc. But there is no emby app showing at all (except for the official one). Been through every screen and menu option on the tv. Guess i will just have to use the official Samsung one and go and have a coffee or something if there is ever anything I want to skip over. Hope this gets an official release soon.

psxlover

Found out why (probably) I was not getting any .ass subtitles through web player. I had turned off video transcoding. And for some reason subtitle extraction was also off, although I don't remember turning it off.

With those changed I can confirm that the subtitles play perfectly if I access Emby server through the TV's internet browser, although I had a problem actually getting an episode to play, since I can't select any episode in the season screen (the play button for the season works though).

Found out why (probably) I was not getting any .ass subtitles through web player. I had turned off video transcoding. And for some reason subtitle extraction was also off, although I don't remember turning it off.

With those changed I can confirm that the subtitles play perfectly if I access Emby server through the TV's internet browser, although I had a problem actually getting an episode to play, since I can't select any episode in the season screen (the play button for the season works though).

If you must use the web app then i would suggest http://tv.emby.media as that will be more remote friendly.