Pre-install help and questions

TheRenegade
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

TheRenegade

Hi all! So I have a few questions I am hoping the community can help with me before I spend to much time breaking things on my Nvidia shield/Kodi/Unraid server...

So little background info, I am running an Unraid server and using TinyMediaManager to scrape all my data and then Kodi is using the local .nfo files and artwork for it's database. I have started to have some issues with Kodi cleaning it's database (just hangs and won't do anything) which then caused deprecated entries as I am upgrading quality of some media I have. While searching for solutions, I stumbled upon a few people recommending Emby server running as a docker on unraid and then Emby for Kodi to import the database and keep it up to date and clean.

So a few questions, I shall try to keep this brief.

1. Parental Controls

So reading through the Emby documentation, it seems Emby has WAY better base parental controls than Kodi does. BUT, how I worked around Kodi's crappy parental controls was I put media into separate directories based upon rating (Movies-G, Movies-PG, etc) and then gave my kids access to the appropriate directories. So I have sorted some "G" movies into "PG" as  I felt some "G" movies were a little much for my youngest. Can I use this current set up for new Emby users? Or must I use the MPAA or similar ratings assigned by TMDB/IMDB scrapers?

2. Kodi and Emby and Skins

I have a couple Kodi skins my kids like and my wife and I have ours, etc. Can I use other skins with Emby? Or am I stuck to the Emby skin or a default Kodi skin?

3. System requirements 

I do have some concern on if my server can handle running Emby as an unraid docker. I am only using a Core2 Duo E6600 with 4GB of ram for my Unraid server (upgrades are coming in the future, but $$ needs to be there). What's the requirements like for Emby? Could I use TinyMediaManager on my desktop to do the heavy lifting and then just have Emby grab the generated .nfo?

Thanks!

• Solution

Hi, for #1, yes there are options to hide by folders that you can use.

For #2, if you use the Emby for Kodi addon then you can use any skin, but it requires a more complex syncing process. If you use the EmbyCon addon, then you use the skin built into the addon, but it's much simpler.

#3, should be fine. I dont' think it's necessary to offload metadata downloading to another machine.

• Like 1

TheRenegade

Thanks, I'm scraping the library currently, it's getting close to pinning out the server, but it's going. So we'll see how it goes. If I end up using something external then I guess I do.

I'll give it a go with Kodi later and hopefully it works out!

TheRenegade

OK, I am getting a "Library Sync Thread Has Ended" error....

Any ideas?

OK, it seems Emby didn't read any of the NFO's for my TV shows, instead it just added the cover art. Which is causing HUGE issues when I try to import it into Kodi

Edited by TheRenegade

Angelblue05

Without a log it's impossible to tell. If you are using Leia, make sure you are using the beta version of Emby for kodi.

If artwork is causing an issue, you can disable the setting in the add-on settings > sync > disable enhanced artwork. I am not sure why Emby would not read your nfos, but that's related to your server.

TheRenegade

I think I got it all figured out. Emby didn't grab any info from any NFO, but when I forced a metadata refresh it grabbed it all and the shows are now showing correctly.

I then had a small issue with how my server was configured, but I also fixed that.

I was able to get everything loaded in and divided by my kids ratings, having some issues with TV folders. It won't find shows if I go with my the standard //MediaServer/Media/TV/TV-G/Show, I need to add the "TV-G" folder as it's own in the library,  and then I lose all folder options.... But the TV isn't a huge deal, the movies work, and thats more important for the kids viewing controls.

I think I have gotten everything working, so let's see what happens over the next few weeks and hopefully this will be all good!

Thanks!

EDIT - spelling (probably still missed something)

Edited by TheRenegade
  • Like 1