A movie encoded with HEVC is always transcoded, even though device is able to play the video stream without transcoding

vdatanet

Guest asrequested

Level 153 is out of Apples specs though.

Only by 0.1

It could be enough to cause an issue. It was something I drew attention, to. The levels are increasing. I have a movie with L6/180, which is well out of the range of the fMP4 spec.

sfatula

Only by 0.1

It could be enough to cause an issue. It was something I drew attention, to. The levels are increasing. I have a movie with L6/180, which is well out of the range of the fMP4 spec.

Exactly. I know it's barely out of specs (well, 153 is), but, I would not expect something out of spec to play correctly as I presume they would know. But yes, the levels are ever increasing. I bet if he handbraked or ffmpegd one of those 153 to 150, it would work fine. Of course, if the server recognized it was 153, it could transcode to make it within spec as well. In that way, you could always keep your best copy and not worry about it. 

Guest asrequested

True but that 5.1 tier change a lot of values.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Efficiency_Video_Coding_tiers_and_levels#Levels

All I see is a reference for DV max level 5.

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

DV is an unknown quantity, at the moment. The metadata hasn't been exposed and mapped.

But interesting to see the frame rates/resolutions supported by the levels. That could definitely be a factor, as the bandwidth is increased.

vdatanet

I know Level 153 is out of specs for Apple TV. That doesn't mean that Level 153 is not playable on Apple TV, in fact, Plex direct streams that content and it plays fine. As @ says delivery may be an issue.

To recap using my limited knowledge, to play HEVC content in Emby for Apple TV we have 4 options:

Using native player:

1. Transcode H265 to H264: I don't mind for SDR content, but for HDR content is not an option
2. Use MP4 instead of MKV: Media is played fine, but Level 153 content is not playable. Only 5% of my MP4 plays without issues
3. Improve delivery (HLS fMP4), it's not a short term option, requires a big effort for only one device:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75688-4k-hevc-files-freeze-after-a-few-seconds/?p=832864

Using MPV player:

4. Using MPV player has issues with match content and color profiles. Here is my question for developers @@ebr and @@Luke Improve the MPV player is in your mind or it's deprecated?

Edited by vdatanet
  • Like 1

To me, the most effective option to invest time in, would be item 4, because Live TV gets fixed with that option too:

Live TV will take longer to start with the native player if the source is mpeg2.

And we are back on square one unfortunately :

Than match content frame rate and dynamic range for the MPV player should be high priority for you guys, to fix the Live TV issue.

We are going in circles now, because Live TV was one of the main reasons MPV was introduced in the Emby Apple TV app.

We all requested before, to fix basic player functionality first and that most of us find all the cosmetic changes being done to be less important at first.

• Like 1

sfatula

I will note that ALL my H265 plays fine with Emby, no issues at all.

The way forward has to be MPV, I don't see any other option. If one uses Infuse, they already see that all content can be played well without server transcoding. Surely that is the ideal way to go. 

The part that confuses me is that IOS uses MPV and direct plays basically everything just fine. Interlaced works, H265, etc. Is the code that much different?

vdatanet

I will note that ALL my H265 plays fine with Emby, no issues at all.

Do you have 4K HEVC HDR content? If your answer is yes, are you sure they play fine on Emby for Apple TV? Using native player, my H265 SDR plays fine, because it's transcoded to H264, but when H265 HDR content is transcoded, colors are washed. Using MPV, there's no HDR and color profile is wrong.

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

I do have 4K HEVC HDR content, but not much. Playback is not washed, I have compared MPV vs native and I don't see any differences. But, I am also playing on non 4k projector screen which could make a difference. It will be a few years before I upgrade to 4K. Just gathering 4k content for now. 

Do the colors look washed when you play on IOS device?

vdatanet

HDR content using Emby (MPV player) in iOS and tvOS, looks like this:

5e2350c651760_5d63e979946ab_OnEmby.png

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Played using Infuse:

5e2351e210dac_Capturadepantalla20200118a

Played with Emby using native player, washed colors, because it's transcoded to H264:

5e23520691781_Capturadepantalla20200118a

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Do the colors look washed when you play on IOS device?

No, because MPV player is used, but color profile is wrong.

Guest asrequested

HDR content using Emby (MPV player) in iOS and tvOS, looks like this:

5e2350c651760_5d63e979946ab_OnEmby.png

That looks like the 10bit to 8bit conversion isn't happening correctly. Or dithering and debanding aren't being used.

Edited by Doofus

vdatanet

As there is no port for MPV for tvOS, each player builds the libraries from the source code, perhaps the problem is in the build done by Emby.

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

Curious, my side by side with Infuse looks identical. But not using 4k tv either.

If you don't use an HDR display, even Infuse supports HDR, you see colors washed. That's why Infuse and Emby looks identical in your case. It's strange, when I use Infuse in an SDR display, it does tone map HDR to SDR and colors are fine.

Are you using Apple TV 4K or HD?

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

I am using 4k Apple TV. But the movie looks great. I had also compared the movie in H264 and H265 as I had both versions, they looked pretty much the same. Nothing like what you show.

Guest asrequested

He's playing at 8bit on an 8bit display. It's the bit depth that you're seeing a problem with. Reducing 10 to 8 causes quantization, like banding. But playing on an 8bit display, might mitigate that. There might be dithering in the display etc.

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1