A movie encoded with HEVC is always transcoded, even though device is able to play the video stream without transcoding

vdatanet

Guest asrequested

Bit depth is 10 bit.

Of the movie, yes, but the tone mapping is reducing it to 8bit. That's why the SDR and HDR look the same to you. Otherwise, on your 8bit TV a 10bit video would look horrible. So you're watching 8bit video on an 8bit display. With a '4k' display (the resolution really has nothing to do with bit depth or color gamut), it might be in wide gamut displaying an 8bit source. Without debanding and/or dithering (debanding should be enabled by default in mpv), the picture will look like crap. And that appears to be what might be happening, here. 

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

vdatanet

That's the difference, I don't encode, so I have Level 153 and I have Level 150 and I play movies on 4K HDR display.

Edited by vdatanet

sfatula

That's the difference, I don't encode, so I have Level 153 and I have Level 150 and I play movies on 4K HDR display.

I understand. I started encoding 10 years ago when it was (and apparently still is) the case that not every format worked everywhere. So, I encode such that I know it will play on any device I have. It's just my way of doing things. The 1% loss of PQ (my eyes) doesn't concern me. 

But apparently, I might have issues (at least with Emby) when I eventually go 4k projector. But with Infuse, I'll still be ok anyway. We'll see, but that's a long way away for me. 

I do still use mkv even though mp4 is Apple preferred, however, PGS subtitles are important to me. 

sfatula

But it may not support that opengl driver.

Something must, as I doubt Infuse et al wrote that code. I see that Infuse 6.3 is set to support eac3 atmos as well, but not sure why since about 0 content is stored that way. Is there really ANY such content (that isn't streaming)?

Regarding fmp4 delivery, it would appear to me that ffmpeg supports everything needed to deliver fmp4 hls via the HLS muxer in it that it handles breaking on key frames, etc. Realizing that is just one piece of the puzzle. 

Edited by sfatula