A movie encoded with HEVC is always transcoded, even though device is able to play the video stream without transcoding

vdatanet

vdatanet

Hi,

Every movie with the following encoding is transcoded:

5c100bd4ba1a8_info.png

Plex plays the video without transcoding (enhanced player disabled, using Apple TV internal player). Apple TV 4K is able to play the video stream without transcoding. The previous version of Apple TV with tvOS 11 is even able capable to play the video stream. (I have both versions)

Thanks

transcode.txt

Edited by vdatanet

Hi, we have a new video player in beta testing that will be able to direct play this. It needs a little more time before it will be released. Thanks.

vdatanet

Is the beta version public? I would be happy to participate in the beta program. I have an extensive library and several Apple TV devices, 4K and not 4K.

• 1 year later...
vdatanet

Now that native player is back to the beta version, can you copy HEVC video streams to HLS streams instead of transcoding them?

• 2 weeks later...
echoxxzz

For the longest time all my HEVC movies in mkv containers where being Direct Streamed but now they're back to being Transcoded into h264/AAC. Is the a result of updating my server or AppleTV client. I'm on the latest beta versions of each.

Update: Uninstalled the Beta AppleTV app and reinstalled from Appstore and now my shows are Direct Streaming again.

Question? Should I also put my server back on the latest production version or can I can continue to use the beta server with a non-beta AppleTV app?

Edited by echoxxzz

samuelqwe

For the longest time all my HEVC movies in mkv containers where being Direct Streamed but now they're back to being Transcoded into h264/AAC. Is the a result of updating my server or AppleTV client. I'm on the latest beta versions of each.

Update: Uninstalled the Beta AppleTV app and reinstalled from Appstore and now my shows are Direct Streaming again.

Question? Should I also put my server back on the latest production version or can I can continue to use the beta server with a non-beta AppleTV app?

Go in the playback settings for the app and choose the "Enable MPV" option to return to the video player that is in the latest stable version. That should fix the transcoding issue and direct stream when possible.

vdatanet

Just to clarify, the problem is when remuxing mkvs, if you play MP4 HEVC 4K HDR AC3. Apple TV 4K will direct play that and you'll have frame rate and dynamic range match. 

• Like 1

vdatanet

If I apply this conversion to an MKV HEVC HDR, video stream is copied or reencoded? In short, will HDR be lost?

I'm testimg. Tomorrow I will give feedback.

post-106812-0-94282000-1578347192_thumb.jpeg

Edited by vdatanet

vdatanet

There's a good chance it will stream copy, but try it.

I'm trying, but according to the running speed (slow) I guess it's reencoding. I will inform tomorrow.

vdatanet

There's a good chance it will stream copy, but try it.

Using Emby's convert utility take more than 5 hours and HDR was lost, so I guess video was reencoded. FYI Mac has an utility called MKV2MP4, it takes 15 minutes to convert a 60 Gb MKV to MP4 and if required converts a DTS track to AC3 or AAC. The result is brilliant. You have frame rate and dynamic range match, chapter navigation and visual seek. I will convert all my HDR content. I don't mind to transcode HEVC SDR to H264.

I will rip all my new content to MP4. Since now I used MakeMKV, now I'll use DVDfab to create MP4 files.

I hope some day Emby will be able to create HLS fMP4 streams.

• 2 weeks later...
vdatanet

Bad news for HEVC playback using Apple TV.

In Beta 1.4.4.03 were made some transcoding profile modifications to improve scenarios in which HEVC content will direct play/stream, but they didn't work, so in beta 1.4 4.04 those changes where reverted.

I wish this to change someday, but I don't think it will be short term.

In conclusion, if you need direct play/stream for HEVC content Emby for Apple TV is not right for you, because it's very limited.  :(

• Like 1

In conclusion, if you need direct play/stream for HEVC content Emby for Apple TV is not right for you, because it's very limited.  :(

If the content is in an mp4 container with compatible audio it works, correct?

vdatanet

If the content is in an mp4 container with compatible audio it works, correct?

Most content buffers every 2-3 minutes and it's unwatchable.

Most content buffers every 2-3 minutes and it's unwatchable.

That sounds like a server or bandwidth issue that should be addressed separately.

vdatanet

That sounds like a server or bandwidth issue that should be addressed separately.

No, yesterday we were direct playing three 4K movies (UHD bluray remux with very high bitrate) at the same time with nvidia shield without buffering. The server is capable and bandwidth is ok.

Same mp4 buffering with Emby plays fine on Plex using native player. Plex remuxes the movie direct stream and Emby direct plays. That's the only difference. 

Using Emby even low bitrate MP4 HEVC buffer.

Edited by vdatanet

Guest asrequested

That sounds like an issue with the demuxer/splitter. It's not handling the container, well. With direct streaming, it's in a different container. Something with the frame timing, maybe.

vdatanet

I have few items Level 150 and they play without buffering, I only see buffering in Level 153 items.

Guest asrequested

That's probably a coincidence. That's just the color level. If they play correctly when direct streaming, then the video is fine. It's the delivery that's the problem.