Emby not compatible with New Archer C7 router?

RC_EMBY

Bought a new Archer C7 v4 router and have been going crazy trying to open up access to emby outside of our network. Spoke to their customer support and they said the new firmware does not allow for media apps to open up ports for outside access??? I highly doubt that is the case. UPnP worked perfectly with our older router but it is not working at all with this new one. 

Would greatly appreciate if someone could walk me through the process.

Router- Archer C7 v4

Emby server is on windows

One caveat is that I live in a apartment that does not have modems in each unit, you plug into an ethernet that is used for everyone in the building. Could that be part of the issue? 

Hi, simply disable Emby's automatic port mapping feature and then you can configure your router manually. You shouldn't have any problems. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Still not working after I disabled Emby's automatic port mapping feature and updated my router manually. Am I entering the right info in my router? See above for a screenshot 

I have disabled my windows firewall and still no luck.  I cannot access emby from outside my network.  Should I be entering in the remote access IP in that virtual server setting on my router? 

5c10384acc083_Capture2.jpg

Happy2Play

Bought a new Archer C7 v4 router and have been going crazy trying to open up access to emby outside of our network. Spoke to their customer support and they said the new firmware does not allow for media apps to open up ports for outside access??? I highly doubt that is the case. UPnP worked perfectly with our older router but it is not working at all with this new one. 

Would greatly appreciate if someone could walk me through the process.

Router- Archer C7 v4

Emby server is on windows

One caveat is that I live in a apartment that does not have modems in each unit, you plug into an ethernet that is used for everyone in the building. Could that be part of the issue? 

Was Upnp enabled on the new router when you tested?

Could your building be configured in a double nat?

Edited by Happy2Play

I have turned off UPnP on the router also and it still has not worked. Not sure what a double nat is .But it is weird that the external IP address when I log into my router is different than the IP address listed in emby as the Remote access IP address 

In other words he's suggesting your building might have a router that adds an extra layer between you and the internet.

How are you testing remote access?

Entering the Remote Access ip from emby into Chrome from another network. Also used Canyouseeme.org

If an extra layer is the case, what are my options? 

Happy2Play

Entering the Remote Access ip from emby into Chrome from another network. Also used Canyouseeme.org

If an extra layer is the case, what are my options? 

Does canyouseeme.org show the port open?

If there is an additional router in the mix there is nothing you can do unless you can have who ever controls that router forward the port to your router connection.  Also if are in a double nat situation Emby will not be reporting your true WANIP. 

5c103647c4c0b_Capture.jpg

To clarify on my question, I mean that in this screenshot there is a Status column. What does it mean? What happens if you mouse over that icon, does it have a tooltip?

It's just a lightbulb, when you click it you can effectively turn on or off that item. No tool tip and I've tried clicking it on and off with no success.

I forwarded that port also and it did not work. Did some digging and it seems this router is bad with port forwarding, does anyone have any routers which make it easier.

Jdiesel

I forwarded that port also and it did not work. Did some digging and it seems this router is bad with port forwarding, does anyone have any routers which make it easier.

You could try a custom firmware on your router. Looks like both DD-WRT and OpenWRT are supported

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP_Link_Archer_C7

https://openwrt.org/toh/start?dataflt%5BBrand*~%5D=tp-link&dataflt%5BModel*~%5D=archer+c7