Music Library w/ Audio books flickering

macwillard

macwillard

@@macwillard Are these newly added without having any metadata/ffprobing yet?

If you're referring to the audio files, they are newly added to Emby.  I'm afraid I don't know what ffprobing is, or what it entails to have metadata before Emby.

If you're referring to the audio files, they are newly added to Emby.  I'm afraid I don't know what ffprobing is, or what it entails to have metadata before Emby.

That is fine. I think I know what is going on here. After you added the files you did not go to scheduled tasks and choose scan. You beat the scanner to the files(this is why it didn't show in latest), this means certain behaviors are unpredictable when you do this. The server hasn't ffprobed the file. Ffprobe is a utility to pull media information from within the file. Emby uses this to tell the app what to do. The app sometimes assumes the server will always give it this information. I believe that is what is going on here. We are assuming we can get mediasource or mediastreams within mediasource when in fact it doesn't exist.

To tell if this is the case, after you add everything go to scheduled tasks and choose scan. Wait til the scan finishes and see if the same problem is there.

If it now works it was what I thought and I can fix this knowing what it is.

If it still doesn't work it is something else and I need to get to the bottom of it.

Once you let me know I can dig further. Thanks.

Edited by speechles

macwillard

That is fine. I think I know what is going on here. After you added the files you did not go to scheduled tasks and choose scan. You beat the scanner to the files(this is why it didn't show in latest), this means certain behaviors are unpredictable when you do this. The server hasn't ffprobed the file. Ffprobe is a utility to pull media information from within the file. Emby uses this to tell the app what to do. The app sometimes assumes the server will always give it this information. I believe that is what is going on here. We are assuming we can get mediasource or mediastreams within mediasource when in fact it doesn't exist.

To tell if this is the case, after you add everything go to scheduled tasks and choose scan. Wait til the scan finishes and see if the same problem is there.

If it still doesn't work it is something else and I need to get to the bottom of it.

Once you let me know I can dig further. Thanks.

I followed the directions (with a companion as a form of double-checking), but the flashing background is still there.  Not sure if this helps, but with the background continually flashing, I ventured into the Movies library and started one of the movies, then backed out.  The background was back to normal.

Happy2Play

That post was in reference to your playback issue.

Tried it with an MP3 file (also no cover art).  Got the same message and then I was sent to the Roku home screen.  Emby had crashed (I have attached a log taken shortly after this experiment which was only a few minutes ago).  Returned to Emby and tried the song again.  Received the same error message, but Emby didn't crash.  I was merely left with the loading circle on the screen and no audio.

So was this playback issue related to missing metadata?

macwillard

That post was in reference to your playback issue.

So was this playback issue related to missing metadata?

I looked at the metadata for one of the audio books and saw that the file had all the general metadata, and these have never had an issue playing on my PC (via the VLC program).  What metadata does Emby require to play that I might look for that in the file details?

macwillard

Refreshing doesn't work on a single audio file, nor an album.  I've also noticed that the Play All feature in the album isn't working properly, either.  It will show the correct length, but the audio will be wrong.  In this album it started with track 2 and then skipped to track 5.  The tracks are in the correct order when viewing the album.

Are you using the Emby Beta app? That random when it shouldn't be random bug should already be fixed in beta.

macwillard

Are you using the Emby Beta app? That random when it shouldn't be random bug should already be fixed in beta.

Using the Beta app didn't fix the random problem.  Should I just reinstall the Emby server and the stable app, recreate only the music library, let the initial scan do its job, and then re-scan through the Scheduled Tasks to see if that works?

Good luck.  We're all counting on you.

I was side tracked on another issue earlier. I got that resolved and may be a big update for non english speaking users very soon.

But in your case, I can start to tackle this one next. Please do not use the stable app. Use instead the beta app when we test with you. The stable app is no longer the same code base for sections. Please please stay on the beta Roku app there is no reason not to be on it. Thanks. I appreciate the fact you are sticking with us through this headache. It will get a remedy, failure is not an option. :)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1