Music Library w/ Audio books flickering

macwillard

macwillard

I recently installed the Emby server on my Windows 7 PC and have set up a Music library under which I have placed my audio book folders (all MP3 Audio files within their own folders).  I use a Roku 2 to access Emby via the app from the Roku store.

I can access and play the audio via the Roku, but when I do press play the background flickers between black, a rainbow color, and transitions between some combination of the two.  All media on the screen appears and disappears, including but not limited to: buttons for Play and Stop, all images, and the entire Now Playing section at the bottom.  When I back out of the Music library the images at my Home Screen continue to appear and disappear, and the background continues its psychedelic dance.

My Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.  Is this a known bug or did I set up my audio books incorrectly?

htt p://192.168.0.100:8096/emby/Items/e194ea4e9dd977c7c1bb94703051063e/Images/Backdrop/0?EnableImageEnhancers=false&tag=524b41554bdea2c7520105251d5ca919&maxheight=540&quality=80. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-8.10 (028.10E04131A)

That would be the largest and its given a maxheight. All the roku image fetches have a maxheight. What model# of Roku 2 is this?

The flashing means the texture memory is near capacity. There isn't enough space left to cache the entire screen you are on into texture memory at that point. Then the flashing begins. As you navigate back and you scroll out onto new items old screens that didn't have that behavior will start to. What if you change the "Enable Enhanced Images" setting to ON. Does it still have this flashing problem?

Edited by speechles

macwillard

htt p://192.168.0.100:8096/emby/Items/e194ea4e9dd977c7c1bb94703051063e/Images/Backdrop/0?EnableImageEnhancers=false&tag=524b41554bdea2c7520105251d5ca919&maxheight=540&quality=80. UserAgent: Roku/DVP-8.10 (028.10E04131A)

That would be the largest and its given a maxheight. All the roku image fetches have a maxheight. What model# of Roku 2 is this?

The flashing means the texture memory is near capacity. There isn't enough space left to cache the entire screen you are on into texture memory at that point. Then the flashing begins. As you navigate back and you scroll out onto new items old screens that didn't have that behavior will start to. What if you change the "Enable Enhanced Images" setting to ON. Does it still have this flashing problem?

The model is 3100X - Roku 2 XS.  As for doing the "Enable Enhanced Images" change, I have no idea where to find that.  Are you referring to changing something on Emby or the Roku?

Edited by macwillard

@@speechles he does not have cover art installed so that setting in the app shouldn't' matter, right?

It actually does matter.

With the setting enabled the app will use ScaleToFit otherwise it is using ScaleToFill. This is done during loading the image. The texture ram eats 4 bytes per pixel. A ScaleToFit image is smaller height/width than the ScaleToFill which eats up all the space in the card height/width. The ScaleToFit will center on horz/vert if the image doesn't fill the card.

@@macwillard Press * on homescreen of the app. It will bring up the options. Choose settings and find the "Enable Enhanced Images" and turn it ON.  Even if you are not using cover art this should decrease the ram eaten by images and stop the flickering/flashing.

Edited by speechles

macwillard

@@macwillard Press * on homescreen of the app. It will bring up the options. Choose settings and find the "Enable Enhanced Images" and turn it ON.  Even if you are not using cover art this should decrease the ram eaten by images and stop the flickering/flashing.

@speechles I followed the instructions and set the Enable Enhanced Images to ON (it was on OFF).  Unfortunately, the problem persists in all its original forms (flickering/disappearing).  I tested using a queue for multi-file audio books and a single-file audio, and the problem was there for both.

Edited by macwillard

macwillard

And this doesn't happen with any other library section?

@@Luke  Correct.  I have Movie and Television libraries, and I haven't seen this error in them.

After you answer @@Luke's question above, can you answer these?

It happens once you play the audio, right away or does this occur when the music player screen saver kicks in?

Do you have the audio books set up under the audio book type or the music type?

This will probably trace to a very large backdrop associated with whatever artist/book is being played here.

This will probably trace to a very large backdrop associated with whatever artist/book is being played here.

This could be tested by deleting the backdrop temporarily.

macwillard

@@Luke I have 8 audiobooks in their 8 individual folders and two individual audio files in the same Music folder.

@@speechles The flickering begins when I play the audio.  The audio books are set up in the Music type library.  I have placed them in a Book type library, but that folder failed to appear on my Roku app.

@@ebr There is no backdrop image assigned to any of the audiobooks.  Other than the cover art, the backdrop is black until I press play and 'trip the light fantastic.'

macwillard

I just tried placing a backdrop image for one of the individual audio files and all that happened was the new image joined the rotation of the schizophrenic parade.

I also tried to again create a Books library using the exact same folder from my PC as I use for the Music library, but the Books library still won't show on my Roku app.

Edited by macwillard

can you show a screenshot? can you also use the image editor in the web app to check the images assigned to the music library? perhaps it is a backdrop there.

Also, can you locate the music file on your drive, and then walk up the folder tree and check the contents of the folders at each level to see if the image is there? thanks.

macwillard

can you show a screenshot? can you also use the image editor in the web app to check the images assigned to the music library? perhaps it is a backdrop there.

Also, can you locate the music file on your drive, and then walk up the folder tree and check the contents of the folders at each level to see if the image is there? thanks.

I might be able take a screenshot on my Roku, but first I need a zip file so I can sideload the Emby app to it.  I have no idea where to find the zip.

The audio books folder is located on my desktop nested two branches down (so you have the container folder on the desktop, then within that folder is an audio books folder that contains the folders for the individual audio books).  I have ON the option to see Hidden Files on my Windows 7, and there's no image that matches what I'm seeing.  Just in case, I created a New Folder on the desktop and placed one of the single MP3 audio files that had been having the issue into that, and added a new Music library to Emby.  Same error comes up.

Looking at the flashing screen on my TV, it doesn't look like there's an actual image there.  It looks like lens flare fading in and out, and alternating with gray and black screens.  I took a terrible video recording (you'll have to excuse my sigh of exasperation at the beginning), so if you want I can send it your way (it's only 11 seconds long).

Edited by macwillard

macwillard

So I decided to see what a true audio (a song) would do in a Music library (since my single 2 MP3 files weren't working).  I created a new folder on the desktop, placed an M4A into the folder (doesn't even have cover art), and added that to a new Music library.  Went to the Roku, navigated to the new Music library.  Thought it was funny that the song didn't show up on the Latest list, but selected it through By title and tried to play it.  Received the message: Unable to determine items to play.

Tried it with an MP3 file (also no cover art).  Got the same message and then I was sent to the Roku home screen.  Emby had crashed (I have attached a log taken shortly after this experiment which was only a few minutes ago).  Returned to Emby and tried the song again.  Received the same error message, but Emby didn't crash.  I was merely left with the loading circle on the screen and no audio.

Log.txt

Edited by macwillard

@@macwillard Are these newly added without having any metadata/ffprobing yet?

@@Luke I cannot reproduce this yet. I am suspect it is missing metadata/mediasource and the audioplayer expects that to be there. This would cause the crash in app. I am chasing the issue blind atm looking for missing checks if data exists. It is probably when mediasource is invalid the problem occurs.

Edited by speechles