Choppy playback on directplay 4k HDR with Dolby Digital+

rouq

I have a playback problem on 4k HDR remux when the audio track is dolby digital+ (EAC3).

My setup:

nvidia Shield to Yamaha RX-V483 to LG OLED C8.

Stats for nerds says "Direct play", no transcoding or remux involved at server side.

With a 4k HDR mkv with several audio tracks (EAC3, AC3, Dolby True HD), playback is perfect when selecting AC3 or Dolby True HD.  But when selecting EAC3, playback is choppy.  Using the OSD menu and going through the audio tracks during playback, I get choppy playback with EAC3, changing to Dolby True HD fix the playback, going back to EAC3, choppy playback starts again.

Playing this video in Kodi (using emby for Kodi) doesn't show this problem. 

I'm using the official emby client release on the Shield, not the beta.

I don't see this issue when playing a 1080p sdr video with Dolby Digital plus audio track.

Hi.  Can you try switching the display mode to match the frame rate of the video and see if it makes a difference?

Hi.  Can you try switching the display mode to match the frame rate of the video and see if it makes a difference?

Hi

The player is already set to switch to the exact frame rate.  Otherwise, I get micro stutter if the frame rate convertion is done by the Shield and I can't stand it :)

Hello @@ebr

Any idea why I'm getting choppy playback on 4k hdr when selecting EAC3 audio track?

Hi, can we look at the complete details of an example? Thanks !

Hi, can we look at the complete details of an example? Thanks !

Setup:

nvidia shield to yahama RX-V483 to LG OLED55C8

(The yahama receiver support AC3, EAC3, Dolby true HD, etc).

This movie is direct playing whatever the audio track that I'm selecting, but the playback is ok on all the audio track except those 2 EAC3 tracks that I get choppy playback.  This play fine in Kodi/Plex on the same setup.

Would you like me to enable debug option in the emby app?

5c127dccccaee_mediaInfo.jpg

This looks like it may be a defect in either the Shield or Exo but the only time I have been able to reproduce it, changing the display mode fixed it.

I will see if I can find some test content to reproduce with now that we feel it may be limited to 4k.

This looks like it may be a defect in either the Shield or Exo but the only time I have been able to reproduce it, changing the display mode fixed it.

I will see if I can find some test content to reproduce with now that we feel it may be limited to 4k.

It seems related only to 4k because I have some 1080p x265 with EAC3 and it doesn't do that.

I can try to cut a 20s sample out of this movie and send it to you.  Would this help you?

Edited by rouq

I can try to cut a 20s sample out of this movie and send it to you.  Would this help you?

Sure.  Thanks.

@@Luke @@ebr

I cut a little sample using ffmpeg and tested it.  I still get this choppy playback with it.  ebr, I sent to you a private message with a download link.

I installed the beta android tv player just to check and it still does it.

Thank you for looking into it.

Edited by rouq

Got it.  Thanks.

This appears to be limited to the Shield.  The Mi box plays it back fine.

Unfortunately, it is also still a problem with the firmware update Nvidia just released (7.2).

Got it.  Thanks.

This appears to be limited to the Shield.  The Mi box plays it back fine.

Unfortunately, it is also still a problem with the firmware update Nvidia just released (7.2).

Thanks for the feedback.

But what is weird is that it plays back fine in Kodi and Plex on the same Shield.