#181 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • Local time: 01:32 AM
  • LocationMassillon, Ohio

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:33 PM

You have what buttons unchecked? Cinema mode and standalone trailers are two separate things.

I don't have the trailer plugin installed.

All of the Cinema Mode check boxes are unchecked.

If all of that is true - which it is why am I still seeing the trailer button/icons ??

#182 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 113292 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

Because trailer urls can also come from internet metadata sources such as MovieDb.

#183 kanipek OFFLINE  

kanipek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • LocationMassillon, Ohio

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Because trailer urls can also come from internet metadata sources such as MovieDb.

So even though I have all of it disabled/not installed in Emby the trailer info in the .NFO files is still being read/used and that is why I am seeing that? - Just looking for clarification not open a can of worms.

#184 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2297 posts
  • Local time: 07:32 PM
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

The problem is not the extra youtube trailers is the size of the "icons" used, it is very invasive like the size of the thumbs chapters.

In this days clean design is more that a busy design. The users wants 1,2,3.

And why in the world you want all those trailers in the main movie screen?.

You are free of open youtube and spend all your time watching all trailers available of that movie that you want to watch and don't watch the movie. 

One trailer is more than enough for me. All APPS use one trailer. No need mention Netflix, Amazon, etc.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Mostly I don't like the look -  big ugly red blocks of YouTube. Am sure its nice to have but not like that.

Also I don't particularly see the point of having lots of trailers for a movie you already have (I presume the trailers section for , erm, Aquaman would consist of every Aquaman trailer on YT, but if you've got the movie, why bother). But of course at the same time I'm not the only Emby user and we each like different things done in different ways which is only to be approved of, so hope I'm not being rude at all.

• HRSCR likes this

#185 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14046 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

So even though I have all of it disabled/not installed in Emby the trailer info in the .NFO files is still being read/used and that is why I am seeing that? - Just looking for clarification not open a can of worms.

Yes. YT trailer URLs are added to the nfo file when the metadata is fetched, or refreshed.

#186 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1599 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:08 AM

Also I don't particularly see the point of having lots of trailers for a movie you already have (I presume the trailers section for , erm, Aquaman would consist of every Aquaman trailer on YT, but if you've got the movie, why bother). But of course at the same time I'm not the only Emby user and we each like different things done in different ways which is only to be approved of, so hope I'm not being rude at all.

The bigger your library gets the more you'll appreciate having trailers available.

For example, I've got nearly 2.5x the amount of movies Netflix has.  I may have an idea what each movie is about but guarantee my users do not.  For them my system is like a giant Netflix/Amazon system and the trailers get used a lot to help pick what to watch.

A single trailer will get the job done 90% of the time with no problem but I hate to see us loose functionality when we did have the ability to pick and choose which trailer to watch and I did in fact often times skip the first trailer.

I still think a dedicated trailer screen/page with all the trailer available is the ideal setup.  It keeps the main page clutter free but give the user choices when they ARE interested in a trailer or two.  Sort of best of both worlds in my book.  

Other than that, just put it back the way it was and maybe try and reduce the size of the trailer pics and maybe indexes as well to seem less "huge".

My 2 cents,

Carlo

• CBers and arrbee99 like this

#187 maegibbons OFFLINE  

maegibbons

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1934 posts
  • LocationLutterworth, England, UK

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:24 AM

For example, I've got nearly 2.5x the amount of movies Netflix has.

How do yo manage your royalty payments?

Do you extract play data directly from the logs or do you have a bespoke plugin?

Krs

Mark

#188 CBers OFFLINE  

CBers

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 14046 posts
  • LocationKent, England.

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

I still think a dedicated trailer screen/page with all the trailer available is the ideal setup.  It keeps the main page clutter free but give the user choices when they ARE interested in a trailer or two.  Sort of best of both worlds in my book.  

Other than that, just put it back the way it was and maybe try and reduce the size of the trailer pics and maybe indexes as well to seem less "huge".

Hear, hear !!
  • arrbee99 and cayars like this

#189 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1599 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:51 AM

How do yo manage your royalty payments?

Do you extract play data directly from the logs or do you have a bespoke plugin?

Krs

Mark

LOL

Believe it or not I don't worry about playback data at all these days.  Back when I was running Plex as my main system I did use to use what's now called Tautulli which is an awesome statistics program that has every stat you could want.  I had 450 Mb upload through Verizon FIOS so upload/streaming wasn't a problem.  Then a car took out a pole about a block or two away and Verizon wouldn't fix it since I was the only customer (guess it wasn't worth the cost).  I had to switch to Comcast Xfinity with it's 5 Mb upload speed (now 10 Mb) which all but killed sharing.

Had about 25+ very active shares at the time.  I stopped sharing with anyone not part of my immediate family.  Now it's only x-wife, son, daughter, dad and myself (truly only direct family).  I no longer need or really care about playback data.  Not only that but I still run both systems even though Emby is the primary that gets uses the most so I wouldn't have a true usage picture since it's split between the two system (90/10).  Now when I do stream outside the house it's usually only a stream or two and the Nvidia GPU handles this just fine.  I've been converting my files to H.265 as well which cuts down on the need for as much bandwidth as well.

Tautulli was the best thing about running Plex but ironically was a 3rd party product.

Sorry for the thread derail. :)

Edited by cayars, 09 January 2019 - 09:52 AM.

#190 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2297 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:44 PM

Fair enough enormous library people. Would also like just less in your face, huge bright YT icons / thumbs / whatevers.

#191 Spaceboy ONLINE  

Spaceboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 3271 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:17 AM

@ebr I’d still like to see that Jennifer Lawrence actor screen with the new layout from your library please. It would be useful to be able to compare
  • kanipek likes this

#192 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 41063 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

@ebr I’d still like to see that Jennifer Lawrence actor screen with the new layout from your library please. It would be useful to be able to compare

This...?

5c377a05da86e_actor.png

#193 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 535 posts
  • Local time: 12:32 AM

Posted 10 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

Jennifer Shrader Lawrence (born August 15, 1990) is a Millennial American actress.  :lol:

• cayars likes this

#194 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1599 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:11 PM

Jennifer Shrader Lawrence (born August 15, 1990) is a Millennial American actress.  :lol:

We can think it, but probably shouldn't post it here. LOL

• HRSCR likes this

#195 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

We can think it, but probably shouldn't post it here. LOL

LOL

• cayars likes this

#196 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:46 PM

The trailers band comes again. I'm sorry, very busy movie screen, nice try with the transparent logos.

Always that i do a comment here, i try to analyze the standard user perspective and not my own geek perspective.

I have to say that bigger companies normally are using simple, elegant and clean interfaces. 

I the last past months Emby are working hard to be more elegant, clean with an extra effort to keep all apps in the same way, and that is a great goal.

However, here i understand that most of the users like me, are geeks, we are geeks mostly, nothing wrong with that, the problem is that normally what is handy for us is not for the standard user.

If Emby wants to grown up more, we need to leave at side our own tastes, and by default leave the normal features thinking in the standard user, for that reason, i kindly suggest, that to perzonalize the interface, leave the extra features availables, in the settings page. Of  course, the developers are who decide what personalize features they keep

After the return of the band of youtube trailers yesterday, i checked around 10 apps to see the way they handle this. Well nobody use more than one trailer., so maybe the situation can be solved with a re-design of the main buttons or another good idea of any member.

@ebr please look the overlay behind each band of chapters and the others items info, it is invasive, can you try a little bit more clean backdrop?. The size of chapters is huge and the content of that bands of info too. You're almost there :)

Thanks, have a nice day.

Edited by HRSCR, 12 January 2019 - 09:15 AM.

#197 cayars OFFLINE  

cayars

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1599 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:50 PM

I understand what you're thinking but diagree in outcome.  Take for example Plex who has been dumbing down their UIs and removing functionality or trying to automate it. People are complaining and fleeing to Emby where they have control and more options.

I think there is room for both features and cleaner functionality.  For example with the trailers we could remove them from the present screen and replace with a trailers button.  If user clicks the button they get another page of YT trailers (like what we had) and then can play them from there.  If the admin has put trailers on the file system it would show these instead.  If either local or YT only has one trailer then skip the 2nd page and just play the trailer.

That to me is a clean way to do this.  You keep the power of multiple trailers but remove them from the main UI.  Little design elements like that to me are better then dumbing down the UI.

We pretty much ARE the userbase so why should the design change for a different set of users?  That's part of the mistake Plex made and now are paying the price for this with people leaving to come here.

• CBers and PenkethBoy like this

#198 HRSCR OFFLINE  

HRSCR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:11 PM

That's what i suggesting, read deeply please my friend.

• cayars likes this

#199 arrbee99 OFFLINE  

arrbee99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2297 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

Just as a general comment, don't think I've said before, big thanks to ebr and associated personages for keeping both vertical AND horizontal scrolling in the app instead of just replacing one with the other.

Also, the Home page, am liking the lack of posters and thumbs in the same row, never liked the mixture. However, do like having some poster rows and some thumb rows, having wall to wall posters would be terminally dull.

• HRSCR likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users