Keeping those drives nice and cool

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

Don't connect the fans to the motherboard. They won't spin in unison, you'll need consistency.

By that, you mean its better to connect to a controller (?).

Guest asrequested

By that, you mean its better to connect to a controller (?).

Yes

Yesterday was folder sync time, and this is what I'm getting after 80 minutes.

The 3 tv drives (M-L-N) are the hottest, and they're all in those 5.25" to 3.5" adapters.

Scanner is never able to complete Status analysis as this pc never gets enough continuous running time.

5c10ac39815c9_Sanstitre.png

Those temps aren't horrible. The 50 degree one is just a warning, if it goes red, then you're in trouble. And it's probably the middle drive of the top three. All the heat is rising, and those two at the top are soaking in the heat. Use one of those hot swat bays that I posted. The fan on the back will keep the air moving, while pulling cool air in from outside. I've got four of them, and they work, well. All mine are Norco, though.

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

And it's probably the middle drive of the top three. All the heat is rising, and those two at the top are soaking in the heat.

You are dead right, the middle top is 50c, the one above is 48c and the lower is 47c

Edited by jlr19

Guest asrequested

This look like its designed for rackmount setup (like yours), is that supposed to fit in a desktop like mine as well?

5c10b3b558c28_Capture4.png

Look at the description. They are made for 2 5.25" external drive bays.

5c10b5cf61a2a_Snapshot_103.jpg

Edited by Doofus

CharleyVarrick

Those temps aren't horrible.

This is after a mere 80 minutes, god knows  how it would look should I leave it running 24hrs... :blink:

CharleyVarrick

The fan on the back will keep the air moving, while pulling cool air in from outside. I've got four of them, and they work, well. All mine are Norco, though.

I thought you strongly favoured negative pressure (exhaust hot air out only), I am confused now.

Guest asrequested

I thought you strongly favoured negative pressure (exhaust hot air out only), I am confused now.

That is negative pressure. The fan is behind the drives, sucking the air out from between them. Then the cool outside air rushes in to fill the vacuum. Negative pressure is the fans sucking air out. Positive pressure is fans pushing air in. The Norco that I linked to, is a closed unit, with fan at its back. It has its own environment. That way it's forcing the air to flow through the drives. With an open frame, the air will be pulled from other places other than the drive's environment. That's why I like the Norco stuff.

CharleyVarrick

Just so we're on same page, a pic from my tower manual. The 2 yellow rectangles are the stock fans, pushing hot air out of the box.

The (front) red rectangle is optional fans, so to achieve negative pressure, those would also push hot air out of the box (right?)

The blue square is where I believe the integrated fan of hot swap bay would endup. Would the air direction be left to right (exhaust hot air out) or right to left (drawing cool air in)

5c10bd566834f_Sanstitre5.png

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

Actually, that ICY dock is also enclosed. So that works, too.

Are you refering to the ICY DOCK FatCage MB153SP-B you suggested earlier?

Guest asrequested

Just so we're on same page, a pic from my tower manual. The 2 yellow rectangles are the stock fans, pushing hot air out of the box.

The (front) red rectangle is optional fans, so to achieve negative pressure, those would also push hot air out of the box (right?)

The blue square is where I believe the integrated fan of hot swap bay would endup. Would the air direction be left to right (exhaust hot air out) or right to left (drawing cool air in)

5c10bd566834f_Sanstitre5.png

Those front fans should be pulling air in. For the case, you want neutral pressure. Front fans pulling in as much air as the rear fans are pushing out. The hotswap bay is enclosed, so that is it's own environment. Inside that will be negative air pressure. That fan will add a little positive air pressure in the case, but that's good.

• Like 1

CharleyVarrick

LOL, that's hilarious! :D:lol:

I'm right back to my original plan A, which was drawing fresh air from the front, exhaust from top/rear.

Well, with a big added value in one of those 2x 5.25" bay adapter to 3x 3.5" bay with fan.

Thanks man ! :)

Guest asrequested

LOL, that's hilarious! :D:lol:

I'm right back to my original plan A, which was drawing fresh air from the front, exhaust from top/rear.

Well, with a big added value in one of those 2x 5.25" bay adapter to 3x 3.5" bay with fan.

Thanks man ! :)

Just remember not to connect the fans to your Mobo. You need the case fans to be equal.

CharleyVarrick

Just remember not to connect the fans to your Mobo. You need the case fans to be equal.

I Promise!

I'll get Doofus-shopping for a controller right away.

I remember seeing one on your own setup, it had a very sleek looking physical interface with blue lights. It would have its own place in my soon-to-be-free top 5.25" bay.

But the other one you suggested looks very capable, software wise, but just not as pretty. Probably not meant to be seen anyway, where do you install it by the way?

CharleyVarrick

I almost forgot to say a big thanks to you @.

I learned a lot from the video post (3 out of 4, the one where they scrape the paint off, then apply thermal grease was the wackiest thing I ever saw)

But the most important thing I learned here was about the 4 wire PWM fans.

My brand new custom built has RGB fans eye candy but unfortunately uses the "old" 3 wire fans. The mobo software include a management suite that among other things, control fans, but it doesn't see any of the 3 chassis fans.Only the CPU fans is controllable, but in 4 increments: Silent, Normal, Turbo and Full Speed.

If my order doesn't get lost in x-mas mayhem, I should receive it tomorrow or tuesday and will report back on temperature improvement.

Thanks again to Doofus and the others !

CharleyVarrick

This question might be trivial, but are we suppose to screw tru fan mounting hole then to case hole, or vice versa.

In this capture of my case manual, they seem to indicate the former.

A little background in woodworking reminds me its usually better to screw from the thin material to the thickest.

In this case (pun), it would mean from inside drive cage to the fans.

5c190987becec_Capture.png

Happy2Play

It really shouldn't matter.  Which every way is more convenient. 

Actually it depends more on the screws used to attach the fan.

CharleyVarrick

It really shouldn't matter.  Which every way is more convenient. 

Actually it depends more on the screws used to attach the fan.

They are the short stubby metal screws typical for fans.

I'm asking because the 2 stock fans have their screw heads showing outside the case, so they were screwed thru case first. then to fan.

To do that for the front panel fans, I would need to use a 90degree adapter from inside drive cage. (tru metal case 1st, then catch and pull the fan.

CharleyVarrick

Just use the existing screws

The short stubby screws included with the fans have a thread that bites aggressively in the smaller plastic fan hole, but not so much in the thin metal of the case, which kind of confirm I need to screw tru case mounting hole, then bite into the fan mounting hole. This way its gonna be consistent with how the stock fans were installed (screwed from outside to inside, tru case 1st, then pulling the fan snug to case.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by jlr19