#41 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts
  • Local time: 05:00 AM

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:04 PM

LOL, that's hilarious! :D :lol:
I'm right back to my original plan A, which was drawing fresh air from the front, exhaust from top/rear.

Well, with a big added value in one of those 2x 5.25" bay adapter to 3x 3.5" bay with fan.
Thanks man ! :)

Just remember not to connect the fans to your Mobo. You need the case fans to be equal.

#42 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • Local time: 08:00 AM
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:14 PM

Just remember not to connect the fans to your Mobo. You need the case fans to be equal.

I Promise!

I'll get Doofus-shopping for a controller right away.

I remember seeing one on your own setup, it had a very sleek looking physical interface with blue lights. It would have its own place in my soon-to-be-free top 5.25" bay.

But the other one you suggested looks very capable, software wise, but just not as pretty. Probably not meant to be seen anyway, where do you install it by the way?

#43 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:47 PM

You mean the Corsair? It's stuck to the inside of the case.

#44 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 16 December 2018 - 06:35 AM

I almost forgot to say a big thanks to you @Doofus.

I learned a lot from the video post (3 out of 4, the one where they scrape the paint off, then apply thermal grease was the wackiest thing I ever saw)

But the most important thing I learned here was about the 4 wire PWM fans.

My brand new custom built has RGB fans eye candy but unfortunately uses the "old" 3 wire fans. The mobo software include a management suite that among other things, control fans, but it doesn't see any of the 3 chassis fans.Only the CPU fans is controllable, but in 4 increments: Silent, Normal, Turbo and Full Speed.

If my order doesn't get lost in x-mas mayhem, I should receive it tomorrow or tuesday and will report back on temperature improvement.

Thanks again to Doofus and the others !

• Doofus likes this

#45 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:56 AM

This question might be trivial, but are we suppose to screw tru fan mounting hole then to case hole, or vice versa.

In this capture of my case manual, they seem to indicate the former.

A little background in woodworking reminds me its usually better to screw from the thin material to the thickest.

In this case (pun), it would mean from inside drive cage to the fans.

5c190987becec_Capture.png

#46 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

Looks like you screw into the case.

#47 Happy2Play OFFLINE  

Happy2Play

Trial and Error

• Moderators
  • 12492 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:10 PM

It really shouldn't matter.  Which every way is more convenient. 

Actually it depends more on the screws used to attach the fan.

#48 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

It really shouldn't matter.  Which every way is more convenient. 

Actually it depends more on the screws used to attach the fan.

They are the short stubby metal screws typical for fans.

I'm asking because the 2 stock fans have their screw heads showing outside the case, so they were screwed thru case first. then to fan.

To do that for the front panel fans, I would need to use a 90degree adapter from inside drive cage. (tru metal case 1st, then catch and pull the fan.

#49 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 02:46 PM

Just use the existing screws

#50 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 03:31 PM

Just use the existing screws

The short stubby screws included with the fans have a thread that bites aggressively in the smaller plastic fan hole, but not so much in the thin metal of the case, which kind of confirm I need to screw tru case mounting hole, then bite into the fan mounting hole. This way its gonna be consistent with how the stock fans were installed (screwed from outside to inside, tru case 1st, then pulling the fan snug to case.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by jlr19, 18 December 2018 - 03:35 PM.

#51 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

My fan controller in the server just died, so I replaced it with this one.

Was this the controller that went bad ?

I remember it seeing it in one of your post a "show us you rig" thread from a while back

5c195bf66ae86_nzxt.png

#52 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 18 December 2018 - 05:12 PM

Yup, NZXT. It worked pretty well. You can set a threshold, but then it just turns the fans on full until the temp drops down. The Corsair is much better, but I sense that you like the light show :)

#53 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 19 December 2018 - 07:08 AM

Yup, NZXT. It worked pretty well. You can set a threshold, but then it just turns the fans on full until the temp drops down. The Corsair is much better, but I sense that you like the light show :)

I think it looks good, but I have seen software demo for the Corsair and tend to agree its miles ahead.

The NZXT requires an open 5.25" bay, which I do not have at the moment.All 3 5.25" bay are used with individual icy dock adapters; I would need to grab one of those 2x 5.25" to 3x 3.5" hot swap, and that was not my immediate plan/budget.Corsair can adapt with or without 2x 5.25" to 3x 3.5" hot swap.The only thing that bothers me is I have no plan whatsoever for rgb lighting in this rig, but 50% of the Corsair hwr/sftwr was made to control the light show. If I could find its little brother built only with fan control in mind, it'd be perfect.

#54 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 12:52 PM

Yeah, I wanted the same thing, but I couldn't find one.

#55 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:38 PM

Phase 1 complete.

No controller (for now), and the 3 upper drives still in "Toasty Docks", as opposed to one of those whatchamacallit:

5c1a9d4d2e23c_1.png

Before adding fans:

5c1a9d7646081_20181.png

(EDIT)

After adding 2 front fans and running about 90 mins:

(correction)

After adding 2 front fans and running about 10 mins:

5c1aa3b61d43e_2.png

And after running 3 hrs:

5c1aa4194ee1c_201812191455.png

The 3 top drives (TV1-2-3) are still running hotter than the rest (to be expected), but overall nice result for less than 20 bucks !

Edited by jlr19, 19 December 2018 - 04:03 PM.

• Doofus likes this

#56 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 19 December 2018 - 04:11 PM

@Doofus

you are one of the very few that used both of those model of . . .those thingy.

In your opinion, is icydock worth 2 1/2 time more then Evercool.

I have a very good hunch that you replaced the plain stock fan that came with the drive cage on both of those guys?

Thanks and safe and happy holidays to you :)

5c200268cc6e8_Capture.png

Edited by jlr19, 23 December 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#57 Doofus OFFLINE  

Doofus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 10094 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

@Doofus

you are one of the very few that used both of those model of . . .those thingy.

In your opinion, is icydock worth 2 1/2 time more then Evercool.

I have a very good hunch that you replaced the plain stock fan that came with the drive cage on both of those guys?

Thanks and safe and happy holidays to you :)

I used that a few years back, so my memory isn't clear on the Evercool. But I am currently using Norco hotswap enclosures. And those work really well. With stuff like this, I don't like being cheap. I prefer to get something that works as well as I can afford. And using hotswap bays makes it so much better for installation and maintenance. You get what you pay for :)

#58 rbjtech OFFLINE  

rbjtech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Local time: 01:00 PM
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 05 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

Interesting that experienced folks here suggest pulling air over the drives and into the PC case.  As the hottest components in the system, then imo (and experience) the drives (and all components inside your case) will stay way cooler if you reverse this and vent from the front as any warm air is immediately expelled before the case itself has a chance to heat soak.    There is also usually much more air/space in front of your server case then behind - so warm air can naturally dissipate so much easier into the room. (we haven't all got hot and cold isles in our basements .. lol)

As has been said here which I 100% agree with, is the importance to compartmentalise the fans in the enclosures to ensure you get forced/maintained pressure.  Just sticking an open fan infront of a HDD will do minimal good when you have a high density of drives as the air will simply take the easiest route out and not over the drives.

Also - to add, I use a utility called 'Hard Disk Sentinel Pro' which monitors, and logs/graphs, alerts etc my HDD temps realtime so I have experience of the push/pull question - and push out the front case wins (in my scenario anyway ..)  :P

Edited by rbjtech, 05 January 2019 - 02:36 PM.

• jlr19 likes this

#59 jlr19 OFFLINE  

jlr19

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 837 posts
  • LocationLower Canada

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

From what Doofus told, and also a wide variety of webpage articles / youtube, there does not seem to be an undisputed #1 approach.

It's more of "you could do this, or then again you could do that, there's also this way...and that way": There are plenty of options out there, different users needs, plenty of different hardware and software setup.This endless combo list means they wont be all play nice with each others, but one of those solution is bound to be pretty close, well adapted to your actual setup, if not to your budget too.

Edited by jlr19, 12 January 2019 - 04:49 PM.

• rbjtech likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hard drives, temperature, cooling fans

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users