Keeping those drives nice and cool

CharleyVarrick

CharleyVarrick

My fan controller in the server just died, so I replaced it with this one.

Was this the controller that went bad ?

I remember it seeing it in one of your post a "show us you rig" thread from a while back

5c195bf66ae86_nzxt.png

Guest asrequested

Yup, NZXT. It worked pretty well. You can set a threshold, but then it just turns the fans on full until the temp drops down. The Corsair is much better, but I sense that you like the light show :)

CharleyVarrick

Yup, NZXT. It worked pretty well. You can set a threshold, but then it just turns the fans on full until the temp drops down. The Corsair is much better, but I sense that you like the light show :)

I think it looks good, but I have seen software demo for the Corsair and tend to agree its miles ahead.

The NZXT requires an open 5.25" bay, which I do not have at the moment.All 3 5.25" bay are used with individual icy dock adapters; I would need to grab one of those 2x 5.25" to 3x 3.5" hot swap, and that was not my immediate plan/budget.Corsair can adapt with or without 2x 5.25" to 3x 3.5" hot swap.The only thing that bothers me is I have no plan whatsoever for rgb lighting in this rig, but 50% of the Corsair hwr/sftwr was made to control the light show. If I could find its little brother built only with fan control in mind, it'd be perfect.

CharleyVarrick

Phase 1 complete.

No controller (for now), and the 3 upper drives still in "Toasty Docks", as opposed to one of those whatchamacallit:

5c1a9d4d2e23c_1.png

Before adding fans:

5c1a9d7646081_20181.png

(EDIT)

After adding 2 front fans and running about 90 mins:

(correction)

After adding 2 front fans and running about 10 mins:

5c1aa3b61d43e_2.png

And after running 3 hrs:

5c1aa4194ee1c_201812191455.png

The 3 top drives (TV1-2-3) are still running hotter than the rest (to be expected), but overall nice result for less than 20 bucks !

Edited by jlr19

CharleyVarrick

@

you are one of the very few that used both of those model of . . .those thingy.

In your opinion, is icydock worth 2 1/2 time more then Evercool.

I have a very good hunch that you replaced the plain stock fan that came with the drive cage on both of those guys?

Thanks and safe and happy holidays to you :)

5c200268cc6e8_Capture.png

Edited by jlr19

Guest asrequested

@

you are one of the very few that used both of those model of . . .those thingy.

In your opinion, is icydock worth 2 1/2 time more then Evercool.

I have a very good hunch that you replaced the plain stock fan that came with the drive cage on both of those guys?

Thanks and safe and happy holidays to you :)

I used that a few years back, so my memory isn't clear on the Evercool. But I am currently using Norco hotswap enclosures. And those work really well. With stuff like this, I don't like being cheap. I prefer to get something that works as well as I can afford. And using hotswap bays makes it so much better for installation and maintenance. You get what you pay for :)

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

Interesting that experienced folks here suggest pulling air over the drives and into the PC case.  As the hottest components in the system, then imo (and experience) the drives (and all components inside your case) will stay way cooler if you reverse this and vent from the front as any warm air is immediately expelled before the case itself has a chance to heat soak.    There is also usually much more air/space in front of your server case then behind - so warm air can naturally dissipate so much easier into the room. (we haven't all got hot and cold isles in our basements .. lol)

As has been said here which I 100% agree with, is the importance to compartmentalise the fans in the enclosures to ensure you get forced/maintained pressure.  Just sticking an open fan infront of a HDD will do minimal good when you have a high density of drives as the air will simply take the easiest route out and not over the drives.

Also - to add, I use a utility called 'Hard Disk Sentinel Pro' which monitors, and logs/graphs, alerts etc my HDD temps realtime so I have experience of the push/pull question - and push out the front case wins (in my scenario anyway ..)  :P

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

CharleyVarrick

From what Doofus told, and also a wide variety of webpage articles / youtube, there does not seem to be an undisputed #1 approach.

It's more of "you could do this, or then again you could do that, there's also this way...and that way": There are plenty of options out there, different users needs, plenty of different hardware and software setup.This endless combo list means they wont be all play nice with each others, but one of those solution is bound to be pretty close, well adapted to your actual setup, if not to your budget too.

Edited by jlr19
  • Like 1